CrazyBoards.org

celexa max dosage..where to go from here

Ok so you all know how it often goes... the ssri stops doing its job after a while so you need to have the doseage upped and upped and upped until you are above the maximum doseage.

My symptoms are now back severely. It's like the celexa is doing nothing anymore. I have been on it for 5 years.

Let me first say that i know you people arent doctors, but i am currently between pdocs so i am seeing my GP (i have been seeing him for a while and he is very familiar with my disorders). He is willing to switch my meds on thursday when i go see him but im looking for some advice of what drug would be stronger than celexa.

I was thinking maybe effexor or paxil. Any thoughts?

Has anyone switched from celexa once it stopped working? What did you go to?

Currently im relying on ativan to get me through the panic attacks but i'd much rather prevent the attacks altogether as the ativan doesnt really help much.

Thanks!!

Ok so you all know how it often goes... the ssri stops doing its job after a while so you need to have the doseage upped and upped and upped until you are above the maximum doseage.

My symptoms are now back severely. It's like the celexa is doing nothing anymore. I have been on it for 5 years.

Let me first say that i know you people arent doctors, but i am currently between pdocs so i am seeing my GP (i have been seeing him for a while and he is very familiar with my disorders). He is willing to switch my meds on thursday when i go see him but im looking for some advice of what drug would be stronger than celexa.

Currently im relying on ativan to get me through the panic attacks but i'd much rather prevent the attacks altogether as the ativan doesnt really help much.

Thanks!!

I think you know you need to change meds.

I went from Celexa to Luvox and titered up. Effexor can cause weight gain (not that it's automatic) and didn't do anything for me. I can't take Paxil because it conflicts with my other meds and has been known to cause agression in some people.

If you have any pain, you might want to try Cymbalta.

Sometimes trying something that worked in the past is an excellent option. Prozac always worked for me and then fizzes. I'm currently on it again and my pdoc and I hope it doesn't fizz anytime soon.

Thanks!!

I went from Celexa to Luvox and titered up. Effexor can cause weight gain (not that it's automatic) and didn't do anything for me. I can't take Paxil because it conflicts with my other meds and has been known to cause agression in some people.

Sometimes trying something that worked in the past is an excellent option. Prozac always worked for me and then fizzes. I'm currently on it again and my pdoc and I hope it doesn't fizz anytime soon.

ok thanks for your help. Which meds does paxil interfere with? im in risperdal and im assuming that would be fine with paxil.

What do you mean about cymbalta and having pain? Im going to have to look up cymbalta now.

If Celexa was the first AD you took and it lasted for five years, then it's probably worth it to try another SSRI before trying any other types of ADs. Don't ask which one would be best to try next, because it's pretty much a crapshoot. If anyone in your family has had good luck with another SSRI, that might be a good lead.

If you look at them on a spectrum, Zoloft and Prozac (to a lesser extent) will be on the activating side; Paxil and Luvox are more sedating, Celexa and Lexapro are pretty much neutral.

Paxil tends to cause weight gain more than the other SSRIs and is more sedating. It's also a bitch to get off of for a significant percentage of people.

One nice thing about switching to another SSRI is that you don't have to do a full discontinuation of one SSRI med to start another. Yay!

Effexor and Cymbalta are both multiple reuptake inhibitors of serotonin and norepinephrine, and Effexor also works on dopamine a bit at doses over 300 mgs/day. Cymbalta works more or less equally on serotonin and norepi, but Effexor works first on serotonin, then on both sero and norepi at doses over about 225 mgs/day.

Effexor withdrawal can be awful and from what I've read Cymbalta is no tea party, either.

Thanks!!

ok thanks for your help. Which meds does paxil interfere with? im in risperdal and im assuming that would be fine with paxil.

What do you mean about cymbalta and having pain? Im going to have to look up cymbalta now.

Cymbalta helps depression and pain. Sometimes people have pain with depression. Like Fibromyalgia and depression at the same time. The commercial says, "depression can hurt."

Literal pain.

oh thanks for your help guys! I appreciate your replies. I discussed the options with my doctor and he didnt like the idea of switching to paxil and recommended i try out effexor. I have, since coming home with the prescription, read a lot about effexor and i understand now that its an SNRI and not an SSRI.i didnt know that when i first posted this. I also understand now about how it can help with neuropathic pain.

So i am trying out effexor for now..my celexa is down to 60mg along with 37.5 mg of effexor for one week..then i go down to 40mg celexa and 75 mg of effexor and then i go back to see the dr to see how im doing.

I will keep yas posted and, again, i realy appreciate your help. If this doesnt work too well then i will look at another SSRI.

I'm glad you were able to see your doc so quickly. Since the standard dosage for Effexor is 75 to 150 mgs per day. At that level, it's acting as an SSRI. Not until you go above about 225 mgs per day does it begin to act on norepinephrine. I hope it works great for you.

So i am trying out effexor for now..my celexa is down to 60mg along with 37.5 mg of effexor for one week..then i go down to 40mg celexa and 75 mg of effexor and then i go back to see the dr to see how im doing.

Paxil pooped out on me several years ago and I tried a couple of SSRIs (Prozac and Lexapro) before settling on Effexor. Those meds didn't sit well with me, so it can take a couple of tries to find one that works for you. Hopefully, you'll have luck with the Effexor. I've found it to be pretty stable over the long haul.

Since the standard dosage for Effexor is 75 to 150 mgs per day. At that level, it's acting as an SSRI. Not until you go above about 225 mgs per day does it begin to act on norepinephrine. I hope it works great for you.

This isn't completely accurate. Effexor reuptakes norepinephrine at any dose, but doesn't reach clinically significant levels for most people until 225mg. I don't know what the ratio is on serotonin/norepinephrine reuptake for Effexor off the top of my head, but it is lower than it is for Celexa which is something like 2/1. I'm taking 150mg and I can feel a little of norepinephrine action going on in the form of feeling more motivated and activated.

ugh....is it possible that effexor could be CAUSING depression? I know it has only been 1 week exactly but i feel like i cant get happy about anything. blah.its friday and normally that would make me happy..but i just feel down for no apparent reason. i also feel super zoned out. if things dont improve i think i will run back to my celexa. maybe i wasnt as bad off as i thought. ;)

Archived