CrazyBoards.org

Arithmomania

Guest Shelley

Guest Shelley

Hi,

I am an obsessive compulsive arithmomaniac, which means I count things in groups compulsively. I count, in groups of four, the umber of cracks or lines I step over when I walk. I blink in sets of four, and I occassionally regulate my breathing in order to breath in sets of four. I automatically do a lot of it For instance, when I wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom I automatically count the number of lines I step over on my way, not even realizing it sometimes until I've reached my destination.

I know I've had this condition since I was about 5 years old, but I've only recently learned what I am and started to learn more about it. If anyone else has OCD or even arithmomania, I'd really like feedback or suggestions.

I've done some of that. I still do counting, but not as much as I used to. Counting is fairly common among those with OCD. It's a pain in the ass. It often becomes automatic, where you don't even think about doing it, until you've already done it, as you said.

• 1 year later...

Oh my gosh!!!! Someone else who counts in fours!!!! (oh my god i had to edit the number of exclamation marks so there would be four each. ugh. ridiculous.)

I love the number four. It just feels safe to me. i don't know or understand why, except for the fact that is one of the most even numbers i can think of. But the fact that 1+1=2 REALLY bothers me....but I try not to linger too much on that. (it bothers me because it means 4 has odd numbers in its creation.)

Oh my gosh!!!! Someone else who counts in fours!!!! (oh my god i had to edit the number of exclamation marks so there would be four each. ugh. ridiculous.)

I love the number four. It just feels safe to me. i don't know or understand why, except for the fact that is one of the most even numbers i can think of. But the fact that 1+1=2 REALLY bothers me....but I try not to linger too much on that. (it bothers me because it means 4 has odd numbers in its creation.)

I think I screwed up the quotes, sorry, but anyway:

If I had to pick a perfect number I don't know if I could. I have a favorite equation. 12 - 10 = 2 x 10 = 20. Repeat that constantly in your head and - well I don't know, I just do it. 4 does kick ass though because 3 x 4 = 12. 12 is probably the most important, fundamental number and building block of the universe. --> 12 is my magic number because, uhh, no I mean 20. Oh

ya, so 12 is part of the equation. Anyway, fuck all that I'm nuts. I keep the noise level in my head as loud as possible. I started doing it when I thought my mind was being read. I try to have the noise full blast and a second layer of normal thought interspersed with the noise. I know it is not logical to think my mind is being read, and I don't so much anymore, but the noise level is almost always cranked way up just in case. I basically

count whatever is in front of me and make it equal two or three numbers that can equal 20 with some make believe equation. I also do license plate math and make sure I read plates of cars that are in groups of four (hey we're so alike- you know because of four [?]). The group of cars really should make some kind of rectangular shape. If I can't do the rectangle then the cars must line up so that if a line connected the cars the line(s) would miss me and project harmlessly into space or the ocean. And you really have to regulate your breath in order to avoid taking in negative energy. That is complicated and it's probably best I don't get into it at this time.

Lets hope for a quiet mind someday. But in the mean time: 12 - 10 = 2 x 10 = 20. 12 - 10 = 2 x 10 = 20. etc....

Heh, heh, I'll bet everybody does the same thing. Ya, why worry? I'm ok. What a relief. whew. Heh, heh I almost started to worry. Heh heh heh heh....

• 2 weeks later...

I think I screwed up the quotes, sorry, but anyway:

If I had to pick a perfect number I don't know if I could. I have a favorite equation. 12 - 10 = 2 x 10 = 20. Repeat that constantly in your head and - well I don't know, I just do it. 4 does kick ass though because 3 x 4 = 12. 12 is probably the most important, fundamental number and building block of the universe. --> 12 is my magic number because, uhh, no I mean 20. Oh

count whatever is in front of me and make it equal two or three numbers that can equal 20 with some make believe equation. I also do license plate math and make sure I read plates of cars that are in groups of four (hey we're so alike- you know because of four [?]). The group of cars really should make some kind of rectangular shape. If I can't do the rectangle then the cars must line up so that if a line connected the cars the line(s) would miss me and project harmlessly into space or the ocean. And you really have to regulate your breath in order to avoid taking in negative energy. That is complicated and it's probably best I don't get into it at this time.

Lets hope for a quiet mind someday. But in the mean time: 12 - 10 = 2 x 10 = 20. 12 - 10 = 2 x 10 = 20. etc....

Heh, heh, I'll bet everybody does the same thing. Ya, why worry? I'm ok. What a relief. whew. Heh, heh I almost started to worry. Heh heh heh heh....

You know what sucks about having OCD of numbers?

I'm absolutely horrendous at math.

Archived