CrazyBoards.org

My ADD has steadily been getting worse over the past few months and I've noticed that recently especially I've had trouble remembering things. Not where I put my keys or to set my alarm clock or to bring my lunch to work type stuff [though that does happen sometimes], but things like small events, phrases that should stick out in my mind, memorable situations.

My boyfriend will bring things up and there is no memory of it, no recognition even when the "memory" that I'm supposed to have is explained or described. It ends up with both of us terribly confused.

Does anyone else feel they have trouble with forming memory because of their ADD/ADHD?

Do your memories get less sharp as your symptoms worsen? If yes, is it because you have more trouble recalling or because there is simply less to recall? [Can one tell the difference? I'm not sure]

Anyway, maybe I'll eventually figure it out as I'm switching to Vyvanse soon and hopefully that will help, but it might not clear up the memory/ADD issue for a while, if ever.

Thanks for any input.

Luna

Does anyone else feel they have trouble with forming memory because of their ADD/ADHD?

I think that may tie into it. On the one hand, you never noticed some of the information needed to form a coherent memory. On the other, that leaves fewer handles to relate the memory items to other memory items. Memory as a distributed web of connections, not as a filing cabinet of categories.

Also, I think that memories have to be revisited once in a while - like refresh cycles in a computer's memory chips - so that they don't dissolve away into bit rot. Hm. That would mean that some of the symptomatic meandering and digressions serve a critical purpose.

Do your memories get less sharp as your symptoms worsen?

I'm not so sure on that. When the meds wear off, I'm still capable of very good recall - of the things *directly* related (as I see them) to what I'm doing right now. When they're on, I have a broader field of view.

My understanding (which could be incomplete in the matter) is that, like autism, ADD doesn't really get better or worse, just your ability and need to compensate. Depression, exhaustion, frustration, stress, and other distractions most definitely make recall both more difficult and less complete. Those really can worsen over time.

That help any?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Obieland

Interesting...

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, too.

I sometimes kinda forget what I've done for the past short while. It's not like I go to sleep and wake up and it's three days later; it's more like "I dunno... stuff...?"

When I lose time like that, I have little or no concrete idea of what I've been doing, even though I must've looked at the internet and ate food and thought some thoughts, etc... usually this happens for an afternoon, but very occasionally I lose a couple of days. It happens much less when I'm with people.

It is a little like going into a dream-state, I guess, since I have very vague recollections of the dreams upon waking up. I often don't realize that I've forgotten anything until somebody asks me what I did yesterday afternoon, or this past weekend, or whatever, and I realize that I have no idea.

Is that very worrying, as my friends tell me, or is it just part of my inattentive brain?

Being an ADD vet, I can say this about that.

losing keys, wallets, etc. can be affected by compensatory routines. I have learned to ALWAYS put the keys and wallet IN THE SAME PLACE every time. I carry a PDA and use it for notes, phone numbers, etc. It also has my schedule for every hour of the day, including alarms. Theses schemes have been life savers.

on the other hand, medicating assists MINDFULNESS. when I'm medicated I SLOW DOWN and am more thoughtful about where I leave things, and, consequently, instead of 'shooting from the hip' (which is something I have become VERY good at) I have a proportionate response to to all stimuli around me; from opportunities for putting things away to detail-oriented tasks.

so I think it's a combo of trained active mindfulness and medical assist.

that's all i got.

on the other hand, medicating assists MINDFULNESS. when I'm medicated I SLOW DOWN and am more thoughtful about where I leave things, and, consequently, instead of 'shooting from the hip' ...

YES. Totally. When I'm adequately medicated I can be more thoughtful about everything: where I put stuff, the activity I'm doing, even the conversation I'm having and qhat I say and how I react to things. I'm a little less emotional in my reactions, I think.

I can totally relate. But I'm not 100% convinced it's due to the ADD. It seems to be worse since I started taking Xanax a few years ago. And regular use of Ambien is certainly not happening. In your case, I'd be inclined to blame it on the Topamax or the Ativan. But it certainly could be a symptom of ADD.

• 3 weeks later...

(again, why does it always say ADD REPLY? Does it say DEPRESSED REPLY for other people?)

In my case, I think RECALL is almost all of the problem. I think I've learned to dig things up if I have a few minutes to do it, but that's not much help if I'm trying to convince someone with a rational argument, and I can't sit down and write it out.

I find that the meds may make my mind work a bit sharper, but unfortunately they don't make me slow down. On Adderall I could reach some real extremes of anxiety if I didn't keep a lid on it. On the other hand, I'm not sure Dexedrine helps as much, and I still feel a bit overdriven once in a while.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's premature aging. Episodic memory is one of the first things to go. Around age 55 you no longer recall who you told the story about the big fish to. My dad tells the same damn stories to us year after year, and we say in unison "you already told us that", and sister says "about 20 times". But I really don't believe this is your situation.

So, what to do about it? First, value memory for events. Second, pay attention to events and encode them deeply by rehearsing, writing, recalling them. Third, look to see if you have painful childhood memories and talk to a qualified psychologist about them for a few sessions. Fourth, Zen -- pay attention, now. Fifth, take care of those neurotransmitters and astrocytes/neurons/glial cells (blueberry juice, ALCAR, whatever). Sixth -- uh, sixth, hmm, it'll come to me...oh yeah -- don't sweat it if it doesn't matter.

I had this problem when I was on Lamictal. It got worse over the time I was taking it, and I eventually d/c'ed it. I understand that Topomax can do the same thing. So it could be either one of those.

That said, when I'm more distracted and tuned out, I don't remember things as well as when I am less so. I think it's hard to make memories when you're not paying attention in the first place - and as the PP said, the kind of stresses that make it harder to compensate for ADD can increase your lack of engagement with what's going on at a given moment.

I have learned to ALWAYS put the keys and wallet IN THE SAME PLACE every time

Fantastic idea....unless your autistic son follows behind you and moves everything around for fun and sport ;)

I have always lost things. If I am not SPECIFICALLY telling myself "remember this...remember this" while I am doing it...it can be weeks before my keys, purse, ID, whatever resurface. Of course, now I have no way of knowing if I just forgot where I left it or my giant underpants gnome moved it for me, but I have had this problem since I was a kid so I know I can't blame it ALL on Max.

• 1 month later...

i think it has to do with stress and whatever is going on around you. i'm adhd w/ depression (oh yay!) and i have the worst time with remembering things. but it goes from being annoying and making me a teensy bit late to having to catch a ride to work because my keys have just disappeared. my boyfriend has a series of steps he makes me walk through to find them but it frustrates the hell out of him by not working since i can never remember where i've been. ;) it's ALWAYS worse when i have something going on that i'm worried about.

my add has gotten so bad i've had to buy one of those am/pm pill boxes because i would wake up in the morning take my pills and 5 minutes later not remember what pill i had taken and want to go back and take them again. i also can't remember events in the past, my husband has to remind me of everything. what i did yesterday, the day before, last week. i can't read books or watch tv because by the time i get to the next sentence or the commercials are over i forget what the story is about and have to start all over. it's a mess. thankfully the pdoc just upped my adderall so hopefully that in combination with the geodon (which will hopefully get me back on the up swing of life rather than the down) will bring my memory back.

thank god i'm on hiatus from work right now. i'd surely get fired.

I forget things all the time. Ask me what I did over the weekend, and half the time I'll have no idea. It also takes me forever to go anywhere. I drive my BF insane. First I can't find my keys, then I do find them and go to my car, and realized I forgot my purse, then I get that, go back to car, realize I forgot sunglasses. Get those, go back to car, realize I put keys down at some point in the house while I was on my sunglasses quest, and spend 5 minutes looking for them all over again.....

I attribute it to ADD and never being cognizant of the NOW. I'm always thinking about things and my mind is going in several directions at once, so I can never focus on what I just did or am about to do.....

Ugh!

(Edit: my ADD is untreated)

my add has gotten so bad i've had to buy one of those am/pm pill boxes because i would wake up in the morning take my pills and 5 minutes later not remember what pill i had taken and want to go back and take them again. i also can't remember events in the past, my husband has to remind me of everything. what i did yesterday, the day before, last week. i can't read books or watch tv because by the time i get to the next sentence or the commercials are over i forget what the story is about and have to start all over. it's a mess. thankfully the pdoc just upped my adderall so hopefully that in combination with the geodon (which will hopefully get me back on the up swing of life rather than the down) will bring my memory back.

thank god i'm on hiatus from work right now. i'd surely get fired.

I do the same thing. It isnt forgetting to take my meds for me. Its remembering that I did take them. When I dont remember I take them again, which can be shitload of APs at once which truely sucks. Anyway, one thing I did with those "am/pm" pill bottles is forget which is which. That wouldnt be a problem if I didnt take 800mg of Seroquel and a shitload of Ambien at night. I dont use those anymore.

Archived