CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I have been gone for a while because I could not function. However, I have been taking lamictal for about six weeks now and am up to 100mg going to 150mg soon. It has been great my mood is a lot better.

I am upset because I have been itching like heck for about two days on arms, legs, face, in my hair . I also have a mild sore throat and a painless ulcer on my gum near my tongue. I know about "the rash" but I do not have any red spots or patches.

What I was wondering is how long should I wait before mentioning it to my pdoc. I know at the first sign of anything he will take me off of it.

I really like this med as it is the first thing that I have tolerated for more than a week and I have had almost no side effects aside from mild headaches and real bad acne.

Thanks in advance.

Dragonwolf

Hi,

I have been gone for a while because I could not function. However, I have been taking lamictal for about six weeks now and am up to 100mg going to 150mg soon. It has been great my mood is a lot better.

I am upset because I have been itching like heck for about two days on arms, legs, face, in my hair . I also have a mild sore throat and a painless ulcer on my gum near my tongue. I know about "the rash" but I do not have any red spots or patches.

What I was wondering is how long should I wait before mentioning it to my pdoc. I know at the first sign of anything he will take me off of it.

I really like this med as it is the first thing that I have tolerated for more than a week and I have had almost no side effects aside from mild headaches and real bad acne.

Thanks in advance.

Dragonwolf

Call your pdoc now. Tell your pdoc you want to give Lamictal a chance, but you need to let him/her know about your symptoms. The rash (symptoms related to the rash) can be life-threatening.

The itching all over with Lamictal thing is not unheard of. I would go in and see your FP tomorrow, have him or her examine you, and then arrange an appointment for 2-4 days later for a recheck - and call your psychiatrist and let him know what you are and aren't experiencing, and that someone is looking at you and keeping an eye on your symptoms.

I'd certainly talk to him before going to 150 mg.

If you get more oral lesions, or a fever, then that's another story.

Not that have ever worked for me... Benadryl, doxepin, etc., were of no help.

Splitting the dose gave me some relief. I couldn't get above 50mg at a time, it seemed, so I was at three-times-a-day dosing for a while.

Making sure there wasn't anything else making me itchy gave me some relief - dry skin is a problem for me in the winter when it gets extra-cold. However, remember that you don't want to be getting extra frisky with new lotions, bath oils, etc., right now.

It went away after a while, and I didn't have it at higher doses.

I've had something similar with a lot of the anticonvulsants. I've also rashed out on most of them, but the itching hasn't been associated with any drug reaction in terms of time or severity. The dermatologist was pretty underwhelmed by itching with antiepileptic drugs, and he gave me a "Yeah, that'll happen" talk.

Hi,

talked to pdoc and she said to cut the dose back to 50mg and take benedryl at bedtime.

as long as nothing rash like appears i get to stay at 50mg for awhile. a feel a bit better after the benedryl.

Silver: I really appreciate the advice that you and others have given me over time. I finally choked up enough cash to see a good pdoc. Now I am diagnosed BPII without any doubt. It helps that I know what it is and am moving out of the denial phase.

Lamictal is really the first thing that did not give any side effects that I can't live with. And it seemed to be helping some at 50 and a little more at 100mg. I still am not stable, but am less depressed now. I am desperate to have this work for me.

Dragonwolf

Stop upgrading / adding mgs and titrate down a bit and space out the doses as far apart in the day as possible, like every twelve hours. I occaisonally get a minor itch, which may actually be just an itch on lamictal....but I had vicious pruritis from tegretol.........clearly a med reaction.

Call the pdoc, but if it were just itching, I wouldn't worry.........mouth ulcers? I'd be a bit more concerned. Better safe than sorry. Hope it works out for you. Lamictal is a life saver for many and doesnt require all those damn bloodtests.

Keep us posted

cheers

I woke up this morning with hives allllll over my neck and back. I did eat a lot of gluten over the weekend (I'm allergic) so I'm thinking it might be that. I'm paranoid though and going the dermatologist on Monday. Have you talked about the itching to any of your docs?

I told the doc that had me on Tegretol about the itch......without actual visible hves, and he suggested cutting back, and spacing out the dose more...havent had a problem with the Lamictal......better safe than sorry, may just be another allergy or a matter of a slight med treak............

your paranoia is normal ......heh

cheers

I am on 200mg of Lamitcal couple w/ 160mg and I have definitely experienced the itching all over the body, however, mine seem to only last 1-2 minutes at max, as I have been upping my dosage if have found the itching spells seem to decrease, strange I know, but of course that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. It helps me try to figure this out. I have been off the lamictal for just over a week now and the itching was better for about three days, while i was visiting mom. I am back home and it seems to be starting up again.

I wonder if it was the lamictal or something else. It starts as a stinging type feeling and then an itchy raised bump will appear. I have no idea what I could be allergic to. Never had to deal with allergies before.

I do have another p-doc appt on thursday, hopefully we can figure this out so I can give lamictal another try. It worked wonders for the time that I was taking it. I really need something to keep my level.

Dragonwolf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_min_*

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. It helps me try to figure this out. I have been off the lamictal for just over a week now and the itching was better for about three days, while i was visiting mom. I am back home and it seems to be starting up again.

I wonder if it was the lamictal or something else. It starts as a stinging type feeling and then an itchy raised bump will appear. I have no idea what I could be allergic to. Never had to deal with allergies before.

I do have another p-doc appt on thursday, hopefully we can figure this out so I can give lamictal another try. It worked wonders for the time that I was taking it. I really need something to keep my level.

Dragonwolf

I take lamictal (I take myself off of it from time to time when i'm feeling better, against my doctor's advice) and I tend to itch when I am starting back on it but the itching goes away after my body adjusts back to the medication.

It generally doesnt last more than a few days for me but it feels like fleas or something are crawling on me and it keeps me up at night itching. Even something like the wind blowing on my arms makes me itch. Its really awful but like i said, it only lasts a few days until my body readjusts so it isn't unbearable for me.

I take lamictal (I take myself off of it from time to time when i'm feeling better, against my doctor's advice)

That's a terrible idea - especially with Lamictal. The more you change levels, the more likely you are to develop a reaction. Just because you haven't had one yet, doesn't mean you can't get on in the future from significant dosage changes.

Besides, Lamictal's not exactly a drug that should be started and stopped frequently.

• 11 months later...
Guest Deniz

Hi, I'm from Turkey/Istanbul. I've been on Lamictal for almost 4 months now. After I've had a severe flu, aptha developed all over inside my gum. Whatever I did, I could not cure them for the past 4 weeks. Because this is an infrequent symptom, my doctor does not believe it is because of Lamictal and even suggests that it may be Behchet disease. I am not taking Lamictal for the past three days and my gums are improving.

• 4 months later...

Wow, I am taking Lamictal for silent migranes. I won't tell you about them, Google them. However, I have some insane ithching going on, and wouldn't give the meds up for anything. I can deal with the itching better than I can the migraines. Sorry, but that is how it is!

Debbie, if you have a rash and a fever, you need to go to the hospital. There is a rare reaction to lamictal called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome that is potentially deadly. Even if you don't have a rash and fever, it would be an extremely good idea to call your prescribing doctor.

• 8 months later...
Guest GingerAsh

Here are some lamictal side effects that I've had that the drug sites WON'T tell you about:

extreme mood swings (from jumping down someone's throat for no reason to crying in just a few minutes), full body itchiness (but no rash thus far), and muscle aches.

The worst thing has been the mood swings. It's like I'm not in control of my body. The closest thing I can compare it to is nicotine withdrawals. I'm not in control of my body or mind. This was a very minor problem I had prior to starting the meds, and it has gotten a thousand times worse since I've started lamictal. I've been on it for 3 weeks, starting at 25 mg and now I'm at 50 mg. The aggression/irritability episodes happen EVERY SINGLE DAY, usually multiple times a day. I've also had suicidal thoughts (thoughts about death - not necessarily plans to commit suicide. I have no intention of doing that).

I want to quit this crap cold turkey, but from what I've seen, that's not advisable. I'm calling my doctor today. I can't keep living like this.

• 1 month later...
Guest harley

I woke up this morning with hives allllll over my neck and back. I did eat a lot of gluten over the weekend (I'm allergic) so I'm thinking it might be that. I'm paranoid though and going the dermatologist on Monday. Have you talked about the itching to any of your docs?

If you're allergic to gluten then why are you freaking out over the rash and hives. That's a classice sign of food allegy. The rash is very uncommon so mabye you should use common sense and not eat anything you "know" you're allergic to.

Guest harley

Here are some lamictal side effects that I've had that the drug sites WON'T tell you about:

extreme mood swings (from jumping down someone's throat for no reason to crying in just a few minutes), full body itchiness (but no rash thus far), and muscle aches.

The worst thing has been the mood swings. It's like I'm not in control of my body. The closest thing I can compare it to is nicotine withdrawals. I'm not in control of my body or mind. This was a very minor problem I had prior to starting the meds, and it has gotten a thousand times worse since I've started lamictal. I've been on it for 3 weeks, starting at 25 mg and now I'm at 50 mg. The aggression/irritability episodes happen EVERY SINGLE DAY, usually multiple times a day. I've also had suicidal thoughts (thoughts about death - not necessarily plans to commit suicide. I have no intention of doing that).

I want to quit this crap cold turkey, but from what I've seen, that's not advisable. I'm calling my doctor today. I can't keep living like this.

I was the same way when first staring this med. It took approx 1 1/2 months for me to start to settle down and not be so moody. Not I'm at 150mg and feel good. I've actually had a full 7 day straight good mood going. That's "never" happened to me before. If you can hang in there for a little while, once you past 100mg it seems to calm you down from my experience and alot that I've read about. Good luck.

I've heard, too, that on the way up in dosage, you can get more moody, which is a pisser 'cuz I'm taking this to NOT be moody. Today I bumped up again, and I'm hoping it levels me out. I yelled at my kids this morning because they weren't moving fast enough and were in danger of missing the school bus. ;) I've also started to have some slight itching, but no rash. The itching doesn't last very long.

GingerAsh, I'd bring up the mood swings to your pdoc. You are in the "middle" phase of titrating up - not quite up to full dose. For me, this pushed me into hypomania, which can leave me agitated at times. Also, I know that one of the dangers of the gradual titrating up on ADs, for instance, is that you start to feel more energy, but still don't emotionally feel better. The energy gives you gumption to act, or at least think about acting on your feelings. But I don't know if that's the same for these mood stablizers.

Edited by 0detta