CrazyBoards.org

Hi there - I'm AlarmClock and I was diagnosed schizoaffective, I think the depressive type, a few years back. I hate my meds. I have to exercise like crazy to keep my weight steady AT ALL... and I SLEEP way too much (12 hours to feel rested, at least). I was wondering if any of you or anyone of you know someone, who got off their meds entirely? Can this thing heal? Or am I fucked for life? Its ok if I am, I would rather stay on the meds than go back to Hell (where I was in the hospital)............

Just FYI, Im on Epival 250mg AM, 500 mg PM, Bupropion 150mg AM 150mg noonish, 10 mg Zprexa PM and 1 mg Risperadol PM.....

Cmon, guys, send me some hope.

Peace.

AlarmClock

Hi there - I'm AlarmClock and I was diagnosed schizoaffective, I think the depressive type, a few years back. I hate my meds. I have to exercise like crazy to keep my weight steady AT ALL... and I SLEEP way too much (12 hours to feel rested, at least). I was wondering if any of you or anyone of you know someone, who got off their meds entirely? Can this thing heal? Or am I fucked for life? Its ok if I am, I would rather stay on the meds than go back to Hell (where I was in the hospital)............

Just FYI, Im on Epival 250mg AM, 500 mg PM, Bupropion 150mg AM 150mg noonish, 10 mg Zprexa PM and 1 mg Risperadol PM.....

Peace.

AlarmClock

Most mental illnesses are a result of a chemical inbalance. You would have to ask your doctor for sure, but I would say you will continue to take meds as long as you are diagnosed as having a mental illness.

Peace.

AlarmClock

that you are considering stopping your meds is a sign that you are feeling BETTER. which COMES from the medication. stop and you will know how much they help (well dont stop.... you know what i mean)

sleeping 12 hours and being fat a a very fair price to pay for not being schizoaffective. and you are by far not on the worst meds around. go read about clozapine and haldol.

i personaly would eat shit if it helps. you will possibly too if you stop.

imo you shouldnt think much about how long you have to take the meds. that's extra stress to your brain. just take them and dont think about it.

btw. i know this is not scientific, i've heard of some people who didnt need meds anymore when the hit the age of ca 40. and i know this particular person whos treatment resistant epilepsy went away when he hit 40. your body changes much when you get older and there is quite a chance that you get sort of halfway healed by time.

specially if you are young or very young (16ish-25ish) you will go throgh all kind of hormon changes when grow out of puberty (which can go beyond 18 aiak) and that may heal you for some freaky random reason.

i'd rather stay on meds for the time being and see what happens.

or you can ask your doc to reduce your meds very slowly and see what happens maybe you end up taking lower yet effective doses. but chances are you go crazy. not quite worth it but still a better idea than stopping altogether.

cheers

polar bear

Nope. No end.... I thought my end came last months when my pdoc said I could stop Wellbutrin "to see what happens". I was great a few weeks, and just started to feel like the lowest of shit. Anyway, back to the doc and now adjusting to Lexapro with all it's dizziness and fun stuff.

Good luck to you...

Talk to your doctor about a meds change. It's quite possible that you're overmedicated. Did you start all of your meds at once? Do you know how each med effects you individually? I differ in opinion from other people here in my belief that feeling sleepy all the time and being fat is not a fair price to pay for anything. Carrying too much weight not only effects your self esteem and social life, it is itself a health risk. I know very little about schizoeffective disorder and it's prognosis. I do know that psychopharmacology is an imperfect science still in its infancy, and I approach the field with skepticism because of that and the unethical practices of the drug companies. If you are unhappy with your meds, by all means contact your pdoc and talk about alternatives. good luck.

Well, I'm quite impressed that you have the capacity to keep your weight steady. Seriously. That's a major cause for hope right there. That suggests that a bit more diet modification may be helpful. Because, um, people who aren't on psychotropics? they have problems with gaining weight too. Something we tend to forget in these discussions, maybe.

I'd be awfully surprised if it "just gets better." I think there are a lot of things we can do to reduce the amount of chronic meds we take (no intoxicants, regular sleep schedule, avoiding things that do in fact "make us crazy.") I think that schizoaffective disorder, like most chronic mental illness, follows a remitting/relapsing course - so there are periods when things are better, and there are flare-ups, and those flare-ups may need to be stomped on with all four feet and whatever we can throw at them.

I do not have happy positive stories to tell you about people with schizoaffective or bipolar disorders in my family and in my life who have gone off their meds entirely. I do have grim ones, however. They're rather short stories.

I think that talking with your psychiatrist about what you are taking, and how much you have to exercise to maintain a stable weight, is worth your time. You two might not change anything right now, but the idea is then floating out there, and you can address it at the right window.

I'd add an odd caution: if you do change rx, and suddenly find you have to exercise much less, then taper down slowly. Treat it like a drug. The mood effects of exercise are dramatic for some of us. I've done this, and it was similar to the abrupt withdrawal of a mood stabilizer... in retrospect, I really wonder how much the extra exercise was keeping my brain afloat at that time.

I guess that's a very verbose, polite way of saying, "Yes, you're fucked," but in, you know, an optimistic positive sort of way.

Well, I'm quite impressed that you have the capacity to keep your weight steady. Seriously. That's a major cause for hope right there. That suggests that a bit more diet modification may be helpful. Because, um, people who aren't on psychotropics? they have problems with gaining weight too. Something we tend to forget in these discussions, maybe.

I'd be awfully surprised if it "just gets better." I think there are a lot of things we can do to reduce the amount of chronic meds we take (no intoxicants, regular sleep schedule, avoiding things that do in fact "make us crazy.") I think that schizoaffective disorder, like most chronic mental illness, follows a remitting/relapsing course - so there are periods when things are better, and there are flare-ups, and those flare-ups may need to be stomped on with all four feet and whatever we can throw at them.

I do not have happy positive stories to tell you about people with schizoaffective or bipolar disorders in my family and in my life who have gone off their meds entirely. I do have grim ones, however. They're rather short stories.

I think that talking with your psychiatrist about what you are taking, and how much you have to exercise to maintain a stable weight, is worth your time. You two might not change anything right now, but the idea is then floating out there, and you can address it at the right window.

I'd add an odd caution: if you do change rx, and suddenly find you have to exercise much less, then taper down slowly. Treat it like a drug. The mood effects of exercise are dramatic for some of us. I've done this, and it was similar to the abrupt withdrawal of a mood stabilizer... in retrospect, I really wonder how much the extra exercise was keeping my brain afloat at that time.

I guess that's a very verbose, polite way of saying, "Yes, you're fucked," but in, you know, an optimistic positive sort of way.

Sounds like a pretty heavy cocktail, and you're response is quite healthy considering the side effects of many of those meds. First, CUT OUT intoxicants if that applies...As a classic BP2, it was booze that pushed me over in a couple of episodes to full blown psychosis.

Second, Definitely talk to the pdoc about cutting back. I get a bit nervous handling anything more than three drugs at a time...tho YMMV....

Two words.........med tweaking. With the help of a good pdoc, you can find the one that causes the most unpleasant side effects by process of elimination, I would hope. I can't promise that will be a joyride, but med tweaking is always trial and error. In short, ther are times when you may require the entire pharmacopia, and times when the disease is contained by two or three drugs. Of course I'm not a doctor but know a friend who is schizoaffective and 'gets by' on resperidol. By gets by, I mean he doesn't get arrested, but he's not exactly right in the head either. Paranoia, etc. and a very manic mode of being 24/7. But I see the person inside the illness and he is neither harmful to himself or others. IMO, I do tend to cringe when I see a shopping list of meds for any disorder....without a damn good reason. My two cents.

See your pdoc and work with him to improve the quality of life since you are still uncomfortable with the present regimen. He may tell you, or you may find out for now that all are necessary, but going med free? Recipe for disaster.

And yup, it sucks always watching your med supply so you dont run out. You start to feel like a goddam junkie without even a decent high to make it worth your while ;)

Hang tough for the moment and see what options you have. I hope you can pull back on some of those dosages, but if you trust your pdoc now, I'd follow his advice.

Hope things level out a bit

cheers

I can't stand meds and want to get off of all of them because I believe I don't need them. I have had side effects and have been on so many meds in the past 2 years that it isn't funny. The main ones that I want to get off of are the anti psychotics because I believe that I am NOT psychotic by any means. Psychotic people hears voices all day long and I don't. I only occasionally have hallucinations and they are mainly visual and even olfactory. Rarely do I have auditory. I only hallucinate a few times a week at worst. The doctors think I have many delusions but they are not delusions. They are the truth, the government is really sending me thoughts somehow. Then my disorganized symptoms happen between 10%-20% of the day and most of the time I am perfectly coherent. If I started hearing scary voices all day, then I would say I need anti psychotics.

Talk to your doctor about a meds change. It's quite possible that you're overmedicated. Did you start all of your meds at once? Do you know how each med effects you individually? I differ in opinion from other people here in my belief that feeling sleepy all the time and being fat is not a fair price to pay for anything. Carrying too much weight not only effects your self esteem and social life, it is itself a health risk. I know very little about schizoeffective disorder and it's prognosis. I do know that psychopharmacology is an imperfect science still in its infancy, and I approach the field with skepticism because of that and the unethical practices of the drug companies. If you are unhappy with your meds, by all means contact your pdoc and talk about alternatives. good luck.

I still think it's a fair price to pay. bash me if you see fit ;) .

btw. i mean it's a fair price to pay if they are really helping and you really need them to not go fucking crazy (meaning you are on the totally right meds at the right doses).

It all depands on who sick you are. id rather live for 40 symptom-free years than 90 years with my current symptoms. the less crappy you are feeling, the more you hate your meds. that's always a personal decision and different from person to person. if you can cope. stop taking them altogether! if you cant take your meds. (but find the ones good for you. and trial and error is the best way. which is bad)

but having an idiotic doc who is doing it totally wrong is another story. and i have met many of them. so a second opinion is not a bad idea. but watch out! the second doc may be even dumber that the first one, gives you the wrong meds and you'll end of f'D up. (physiologicylly and mentally alike). just trust your intuition.

i'm in some cases for doc hopping. if i had stayed with the first (or second) doc who said i have aspergers and add, i'd be totally fucked because some still believes i have it (one of them gave me the highesd possible dose of concerta (retard ritalin)) despite me hearing sounds (not voices thank god) and seeing fog and haze and seldom people at random ocasions (which are not there of course) and having freaky mood swings from hell. they all come from aspergers of course (ehm... what else should it then be... you decide)

btw. Epival decreases the concentration of zyprexa in your blood for up to 60% (cant find study link sry). and zyprexa is a hell of a mood stabilizer on itself. and bothe make fat and tired. so you may ask your doc to replace/ditch one of them (i'm totally fond of lamictal. ZERO side effects for me. really).

Bupropion makes people actually thinner and awake (afaik) so you may want to stay on that.

and i dont know why you are taking the random risperdal at such a low dose there..... your doc is probably smarter than me.

optimizing your meds is IMO a much better idea than quiting them. you may end up with an elixir of meds with 100% benefit and like 10% side effects. wouldnt that be nice ? just imagine :)

The main ones that I want to get off of are the anti psychotics because I believe that I am NOT psychotic by any means. Psychotic people hears voices all day long and I don't. I only occasionally have hallucinations and they are mainly visual and even olfactory. Rarely do I have auditory. I only hallucinate a few times a week at worst. The doctors think I have many delusions but they are not delusions. They are the truth, the government is really sending me thoughts somehow. Then my disorganized symptoms happen between 10%-20% of the day and most of the time I am perfectly coherent. If I started hearing scary voices all day, then I would say I need anti psychotics.

Personally, if I were thinking that "the government is sending me thoughts somehow", I wouldn't be thinking about stopping my meds. And for the record--anti-psychotics aren't just for "psychotic people". I've never been psychotic a day in my life, but Seroquel (an atypical anti-psychotic) is the only treatment I have found to control my mania. You might want to schedule an appointment with your psych. Now, on to the actual original question--I know that I will never be without my meds. I've been down that road, and it is ugly, ugly, ugly. No thanks.

Archived