CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc added abilify to my cocktail a few years ago to address anxiety and intrusive thougtht I was having, on top of mood stabilizers and ADs. It helped with the anxiety & thoughts. I felt very doped up the first 2 days I was on it. He started me at 15mg a day and increased it to 30mg, then eventually back down to 15mg. No side effects.

A couple years later, I stopped it immediately as I started Geodon at 80mg (because my pdoc was hoping the Geodon would help with my depression, which it did). No discontinuation problems with the abilify either.

Oreo ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - I'm on Abilify for the second time now starting low on 2mg and I'm at 5 now. Last year when I was on 10mg I had akathesia pretty bad, couldn't sit down a lot, legs twitching, restless legs - it sucked. Doc thinks maybe on lower dose I'll do better. The first night I went to 5mg I woke up a bunch having an overwhelming need to scratch my legs. I'm going to try taking it in the AM as someone suggested because it is supposed to be more activating. We'll see. If my legs start shaking, I'm done. That is a really annoying.

I take a half dose every night of Abilify and it has really helped, although I do get akathasia from time to time during the day. The ak is not too bad, better than the deadening sensation of Seroquel. When I took it in the am, I used to feel like I St. Vitus dance disease because I could not sit still.

To offset the ak, my pdoc prescribed cogentin which I think I had to take once or twice.

good luck!

sk8lib

Just so you know sk8librarian, my doctor mentioned to me that 1 pill of cogentin won't last 24 hours, so cogentin is best to take twice a day. I take cogentin 1mg two times a day for a daily total of 2mg.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here use abilify as an add on medication to antidepressants? How is it working for you? What dosage are you on? What side effects do (did) you get?

Abilify was one of the worst antipsychotics I've ever tried.

It caused me insomnia, anxiety, flu symptoms, and a racing pounding heartbeat.

I lasted four days on it.

Archived