CrazyBoards.org

Lost My Compassion?

Ive Really Started To Belive My Medication Took Away The Compassion I Used To Have For People Who Were Hurting Im Kindof Ashamed Of Myself Maby Its My Own Fault, What Do You Think?

I'm kind of the same way. When I'm depressed, I'm very compassionate, but when I'm feeling good, I'm quite selfish.

I think the suffering is what makes me compassionate. When I stop suffering, I just sort of forget about others.

It's not a medication thing for me, but it is related to the bipolar.

Depends on how long you felt that way, and whether you cycle in and out of it. Why should one emotion be excluded from the BP fun? If you find over time it comes a goes? you're normal, for whackjobss like us anyways......... ;)

peace

My feelings tend to be not quite as intense on medication. You can still feel empathy for others without having that sort of achey feeling whenever you think about their suffering. I've found that it's easier to help and care for others when I don't have those hurt feelings that I had when I was depressed.

I tend to lose my compassion when off meds.

Actually, after a while, I become borderline sociopathic.

I'm not gonna complain about what my meds do to my feelings so long as I'm not thinking about carving up the baby in front of me just cuz its mother is writing a check instead of using cash and I want her to learn that I don't like waiting...

Anyways. If you feel like your meds are unnaturally dulling your emotions, my suggestion would be to try new meds. I think a med change would be better than feeling guilt for, well, not feeling guilt...or something like that...

I am much the same as Reborn. When I am down or "normal" I am more compassionate and sympathetic. But when I am high I become a little selfish. Okay, a lot selfish. i feel like it is time for me and to stop having to take care of everyone else for a change.

When I am "up"--from meds, or just on that swing, I am VERY compassionate, and often end up doing things for people that I ought not to be doing, volunteering, etc. etc. Neither of our reactions is good--

I hae got to make a sign-- You have heard, I am sure of "Never Drink and dial"--where you get sloshed and decide what a great idea it would be to call someone you should NOT be calling,or haven't seen in 20 years, etc. I should NEVER make any committments when I am up up up. I am out to fix the world and cure everyone and be the perfect mother and friend--and then, BOOM--back to reality, and I am stuck in bad situations.

Sympathies--

china

I've become very aggressive in asking docs for what i want. I also let them know that for whatever reason, (slow metabolism , who knows) i usually need approx 1/4 the therapeutic dose. Now of course some docs do not like to be told how to prescribe. but i have been down so many nightmare roads with drugs- I know immediately that I'd better start a very low dose and move up. My therapeutic dose is going to be way lower than what says in the books. some docs don't like me saying that. I guess that could be considered overbearing, but i consider it survival. same with thyroid docs. a lot will not run T4 etc and will only run TSH. Can't get a decent look at thyroid by only doing that. you miss a lot.I know this from experience and having been to GOOD docs before. I'm not going to let anyone kill me--even if he /she does have a MD after their name.

some docs like assertive patients, some do not.

however, i have noticed that my aggressiveness has spilled over into many areas. i have to admit I'm a bit concerned. what would some of you view as examples of being too aggressive- in normal life? I'm female so you walk a fine line between aggressive and b*tch.

I have got to make a sign -- You have heard, I am sure of "Never Drink and dial"--where you get sloshed and decide what a great idea it would be to call someone you should NOT be calling,or haven't seen in 20 years, etc.

That reminds of an early-1970s movie "The Boys In the Band"... Aside from the dated LBGT content, the scenes in which the characters do just that illustrate what a Bad Idea it is (for those who haven't made that mistake yet.)

I'm female so you walk a fine line between aggressive and b*tch.

When it comes to things like treating mental illness or endocrine disfunction, which would YOU prefer - to be called "aggressive" at your eulogy, or be called "bitch" to your face?

. i have to say that with so many variables of influence in my life it is impossible to ever be certain just exactly what is causing me to behave the way i am behaving.

yeah

i think of myself, on the whole, as quite selfish. well, self-absorbed. actually- in my head alot. and if i'm triggered, i tend to lose compassion altogether and follow the well-trodden trails of my pathology, which includes intense irritability. my behaviour can be rather shocking then.

My feelings tend to be not quite as intense on medication. You can still feel empathy for others without having that sort of achey feeling whenever you think about their suffering. I've found that it's easier to help and care for others when I don't have those hurt feelings that I had when I was depressed.

i agree with this completely. when depressed, i would be so overcome with the sadness and suffering of everyone and everything around me that i couldn't think straight - "sort of achey feeling" is a good description, just kinda my heart breaking constantly - and i really wasn't able to do the kind of things that might help ease suffering. with a little appropriate distance, i can still feel empathy but keep enough perspective to act, rather than just being overwhelmed by my feelings.

as for selfishness, a certain amount of it is healthy. (or maybe selfishness isn't the right word - concern for oneself, maybe?) like everything else, preferably you want both empathy and concern for your own well-being in balanced moderation. if you don't like the way the meds are making you feel, by all means talk it out with your pdoc and see what else you can try.

bean

Archived