CrazyBoards.org

Max ambien dose

Hi,

I am interested in knowing what was you highest medical dose of ambien.

I know it's not approved for more than 10mg per day, but some of you have probably taken more in special circumstances. How much is acceptable and how much is excessive.

(Cos whenever I have messed up sleep cycles, I would need 20+mg of Ambien to restore it)

raining.

Strange drug and affects so many so differently......I know several who regularly hallucinate on it if they stay up. I've had an odd trip or two, but not like the stories I heard. I relied on it for a while, and its strange.......occcaisonally? I got used to it and took 20mg and it sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

I DON'T RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING: Few times when it was the only sedative and I was off the wall? I've tried fifty mg.... my brain was awake and my body was so drunk I had to crawl against the wall to leave the room. Think of Hunter S Thompson's description of ether..............its like your spinal column and body are disconnected from your head and your lurch and stumble, the whole time your brain is wide awake and watching in horror......

Generally? It doesn't do much more though if you increase the dose......wierd........ten is as good as thirty....so don't waste em thinking more is better. More is usually the same as ten if you follow the directions......take em, lie down. Sleep.

Twenty mg max if you get too used to it. But its better as an on again off again sleep aid.....haven't seen one in a few months and my current psych meds are enough to sleep usually. Be warned it hits some people really hard.....hallucinations ....even in the dark lying down, food binges.....sleep walking, driving and cooking (?!) rebound insomnia when you stop, and amnesia to name a few.........

F'ed up drug if you ask me.........read up on it if you use it. Oh, and for gits and shiggles, see the following link:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/07/31/060731sh_shouts

cheers

Strange drug and affects so many so differently......I know several who regularly hallucinate on it if they stay up. I've had an odd trip or two, but not like the stories I heard. I relied on it for a while, and its strange.......occcaisonally? I got used to it and took 20mg and it sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

That's the same with me too. Sometimes 5mg is enough to nudge me to sleep, if not, I can take another 5mg, and usually beyond that point there's not much increase in power. If it works it works really nicely, otherwise, you really need something stronger. I wonder if its failing to work could be due to some drug interactions

I have tried very high doses, and never got hallucinations, except for the feeling that someone is in the room with me (not in a scary way).

raining

up and on the soap box for me. long term ambien (mos, and mos). did drive me into the utter depths of severe depression.

24 hours after a brilliant p-doc figured out that the hack army p-doc's long standing prescription was killing me and my heeding his advise (ceasing intake) my life came back as if the 6 mos. in hell had not happpened

watch your moods with "z" drugs and the various benzos.

I have tried very high doses, and never got hallucinations, except for the feeling that someone is in the room with me (not in a scary way).

I've not taken it at very high doses, but I sometimes get this exact same "side effect" - only it's generally the dog that I think is in the room with me. Weird.

At any rate... I was on 20 mg fairly regularly for several months and I've been on 10 for five years. I don't think I built up tolerance - my insomnia was just that bad for a while. Right now I'm taking 5 mg of immediate release (generic) and 6.25 mg of CR. If I'm still awake an hour later, I take the other half of the immediate release.

The comment about the potential depression is a valid concern. As as hallucinations, sleep walking/eating/driving. Plus significant short-term memory loss. You also might be hard-pressed to find a doctor to prescribe it for over 10 mg.

sunshine,

how ya doin? consider, if you would, dumping the Z drug. no sleep is better than depression driven by that stuff. even alchohol, for all it's side effects, had never did a tune on me like zolpidem (and a m.d. prescribed that poison).

Hi all.

With respect to all, I must agree with mcmurphy regarding ambien. It threw me into a depression that words cannot do justice. I would go to bed feeling fine, pop the pill, and wonder why I'd be near suicidal depression in the a.m.

Took me way, way too long to figure it out.

I'm astounded the way that stuff is marketed and promoted. Made by Sanofi I believe, they run a promo in my newspaper: seven days free ambien, just bring coupon to pharmacist, no rx necessary.

Just long enough to get you hooked.

Lpd.

leopard,

it is brilliant that you figured it out. it took me so by surprise that i could not sort it out. it took a sharp pdoc all of 10 or 15 mins to tell me to heave the stuff and to use seroquel to get my head down at night.

"you get what you pay for" :: free veteran's medical equates to totally lame headshrinkers. any pdoc that would prescribe ambien for years on end needs his head examined by a pricey, competent doc.

Clear case of "your mileage may vary." While I don't disagree in the least that Ambien can trigger depression (as can other meds, like benzos), that does not appear to be the case for me. Before my last bout of depression (started about 5 years ago and lasted 2-3 years), I'd been on Ambien on and off with no apparent affect on my mood. I've been on it non-stop since the last episode of depression. While the depression has been in remission for a good 2 years, unfortunately the insomnia is not. Though it may also be a case of Ambien dependence. I'd like to take a week or two off work and go cold turkey on both the Ambien and Xanax because tapering on either just isn't pretty. One of these days...

You'd better notify friends on the board if you cold turkey that combo......maybe even a phone number of a person near you?? I've seen people come on boards in mid psychotic break due to d/c ing a killer

benzo and ambien (expecting not to sleep are we?) If you hook into the site while this is going on, we my catch if things go awry you might not see as clearly as your body detoxes.

Randel P. You are on the money concerns may ambien users. I can see how far that rabbit hole can go. Sometimes and for some of us, its a good knockout drop when you need sleep and can't. At the first try and second try on ambien? you should know if its fucking with you in a big way or a small way.

Do they rev you up with monafranil (Sp?) ......nasty combo.

peace

Archived