CrazyBoards.org

hello! i am wondering what is really happening with your eyes when trying to see an optical illusion. like they are inward instead of center?

once i notice it happening, i can bring my eyes back to normal. not for long, but i think it takes practice and strengthening.

does anyone else notice that your eyes do this when you are trying to sleep? i also notice that this happens when i am stressed.

was thinking that maybe those with sleep problems are kinda stuck in that state because not only are they tired, they are stressed. it is like they go inward?

not to be cliche, but i think that when that happens it is accessing the third eye so to speak. the place needed to see optical illusions, feel emotions, be creative, experience hallucinations.

this place causes much stimulation.

i don't know. related to bp? because your eyes are in that area for longer periods than others.

please give this some consideration. at least try to notice your own eyes. yes, coming from a fellow "crazy" so understand how it will be taken!

i am just going to keep trying i guess. would love to hear what you think.

(aside - does anyone know the illusion where you are looking at a pattern of colors and then have to move your eyes a certain way to see the picture inside?)

thank you! kathy

Hi Kathy, If you are talking about just when you are trying to sleep and your eyes are closed, then yes, at times i see them too. but they are more like swirlies or fairy dust moving in swirls. does that make sense? I am not sure about if they are inward or outward. Sometimes they give me a headache. But it doesn't happen very often. I have a question for you. When you are laying down and going to sleep, do you ever feel that your whole body is getting smaller? I mean really small. and your head is still the same size? that happens to me sometimes too. But mostly when I am really really exhausted both physically and mentally. I have never asked anyone if that happens to them before because I thought I might sound crazy, lol.

hmmmm, hard to describe.

i guess just feeling that feeling you get when you look at optical illusions. noting what happens with your eyes.

and then seeing if that is what happens when you are trying to go to sleep, having hallucinations, busy brain.

wish i knew more about the science and the eyes during an optical illusion.

i just notice the same feeling as when seeing an optical illusion as when i am stressed, tired or just really not focusing on my surroundings.

twisted - i don't feel smaller. mostly just see a series of images before me.

i could swear that it is the same thing in all of these situations. i can get out of it by putting my eyes right.

anyone?

but they are more like swirlies or fairy dust moving in swirls. does that make sense?

I think what you're describing might be floaters (it's the actual technical term). They're not actually a hallucination; they're actual pieces of lose material inside your eyeball. They're generally not a problem unless there's so many of them that you can't concentrate on the stuff that you want to se. A change in them might indicate that there's a problem (like your retina is about to detach).

It probably wouldn't hurt to describe your symptoms to your optometrist or ophthalmologist, just to be same.

EDIT: I think you're usually supposed to notice floaters more when your eyes are open.

i do have a floater. can only see it during the day.

ok.

say you are staring at an optical illusion and you cannot see it yet. then, all of a sudden it comes into focus.

something happens with your eyes or your focus or something to make you see it. something that you can feel happening and then have to shake it off to make it stop. something with your eyes.

????

I think the reference being made in "optical illusions" is those three-D or other Escher like visual prints that are meant to cause an illusion of perception.....right?

In which case I don't bother with em cause med-vision is annoying enough..... ;)

Gee, remember back in the day, we went out to buy stuff so we could hallucinate?

sigh

cheers

I'm not really sure if i've experienced the optical illusions you mentioned. this is more of a reply to 'twisted71'....sorry.

twisted71 - you wrote about the feeling of having your head feel larger than your body at bedtime. I've never heard another person mention this!!

I used to have that happen to me often as a child. I would either feel like my head to large for my body or vice versa. It seemed very real and was discomforting. I've done a bit of searching on this subject and found that there is something called 'Alice in Wonderland syndrome' that describes this. Usually it is experienced by children and may be linked to migraines (which I developed full blown at the onset of puberty).

I haven't had this happen to me in years though.

Very interesting....has anyone else experienced this?!

it hasn't happend to me in a while either. And I guess it probably could be around the times that I had migraines. I never thought about it.

twisted, i get this small thing happening to me too.

its a bit hard to explain but - i think of it as zooming.

when i am thinking, in my mind, i see pictures (im assuming other people visualise things too,while thinking).

and very often, while i am visualising these things - people, whatever it is, the vision will zoom, really close in, really far away. so it goes between massive close up and then to a pinpoint, just like that *snaps fingers*. And the other thing that happens is that i visualise something and it just zooms away. and im left with blank. its quite a weird feeling. so when i visualise myself, or other people, i cant hold it there like i used to. it changes shape really fast, zooms in out, stretches, squashes.

actually, it can be really uncomfortable. i end up trying not to think at all.

Kathy,

Last night as I was laying in bed, I noticed that there are actually images floating around behind my eyelids since my eyes were closed. But they aren't really images, just shadows of images and they are all melting into one another and I couldn't focus on just one. when I did try to focus on just one, it came into focus and in color. But I couldn't focus on it for very long. It started to give me a headache. I never paid attention to it before, it always just seemed like a kalidascope(sp?) effect that I ignored. I am not sure if that is one of the things you were talking about, but I definately noticed it more last night as I was trying to sleep.

hi twisted!

yeah, i have noticed that too. it is like that screen saver that is all colorful, jumbled up and moves around in one place. is that what you mean?

what i was thinking, is that your eyes or behind your eyes or wherever is in that same position as when you are seeing an optical illusion.

i am trying to notice my eyes more and bring them back to center so to speak.

let's see. they say to stare at an optical illusion to make it work.

after awhile it does. somehow your eyes or whatever go into an altered state. like you can feel they have moved inward.

to stop seeing the illusion, you bring your eyes or whatever back to normal.

so, when you are seeing visuals, you should bring your eyes back to normal as well.

i just don't know all the proper terminology so i am trying hard to make sense.

agh!!! thanks for the replies. i guess i am trying to understand this.

kathy

hi twisted!

yeah, i have noticed that too. it is like that screen saver that is all colorful, jumbled up and moves around in one place. is that what you mean?

what i was thinking, is that your eyes or behind your eyes or wherever is in that same position as when you are seeing an optical illusion.

i am trying to notice my eyes more and bring them back to center so to speak.

let's see. they say to stare at an optical illusion to make it work.

after awhile it does. somehow your eyes or whatever go into an altered state. like you can feel they have moved inward.

to stop seeing the illusion, you bring your eyes or whatever back to normal.

so, when you are seeing visuals, you should bring your eyes back to normal as well.

i just don't know all the proper terminology so i am trying hard to make sense.

agh!!! thanks for the replies. i guess i am trying to understand this.

kathy

Yeah, exactly like the screensaver. As for the rest, I have no idea either, LOL

I see images of things, peoples faces, people doing things etc when i shut my eyes. this is in a dark room-no lights and nothing touching my eyes. sometimes they go by like in a slide show other times they are singular. It concerns me. does anyone else do this and what might it be related to?

I get the abstract "screen saver" images whenever I close my eyes... especially when I practice the deep breathing/meditation exercises for anger relief prescribed by my pain doctor... the visuals consist of what seem to be, for lack of a better term, red and green shrubberies tossed into a kaleidoscope, floating in the wind in time to my breathing. I think it's just our bipolar brains getting bored and conjuring up something to look at when there's nothing around to see but darkness. ;)

These days, lying down on my back causes some serious pressure behind my eyes due to my brain infection, so I get to see all sorts of weird stuff if I accidentally flip over in the middle of the night (I'm supposed to sleep on my stomach both for the increased intracranial pressure and acid reflux, as per my docs).

I get the abstract and the images of people. The abstract is more prominent. But yeah I know what you mean. I don't know if it has to do with bipolar or not. I haven't asked anyone 'normal' if they get it too.

if my mind is really active, i get like 1-2 second images popping into my head one right after the other.

wish i could remember them because they are really weird.

my mind have been ok lately.

that is why i wanted to see if you could get rid of the images by bringing your eyes forward.

oh, one time i saw a long-faced paper maiche lady with both cheeks swollen into a ball as well as her chin. she then took a knife and popped each one!

seriously, maybe you can try to move your eyes forward when this happens. let me know what happens!

cool,

kathy

• 1 month later...

I have a question for you. When you are laying down and going to sleep, do you ever feel that your whole body is getting smaller? I mean really small. and your head is still the same size? that happens to me sometimes too. But mostly when I am really really exhausted both physically and mentally. I have never asked anyone if that happens to them before because I thought I might sound crazy, lol.

I get this often. That feeling is a trip. I feel like my fingers or other part of my body are real big or small, I have to open my eyes to see that they aren't. I never questioned if i was crazy though, Ive known this all of my life i was different. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you. When you are laying down and going to sleep, do you ever feel that your whole body is getting smaller? I mean really small. and your head is still the same size? that happens to me sometimes too. But mostly when I am really really exhausted both physically and mentally. I have never asked anyone if that happens to them before because I thought I might sound crazy, lol.

I get this often. That feeling is a trip. I feel like my fingers or other part of my body are real big or small, I have to open my eyes to see that they aren't. I never questioned if i was crazy though, Ive known this all of my life i was different. ;)

How funny.. I've also experienced this my whole life. Much more when I was a child but it still happens now. it's not when I've got a migraine. I was thinking it may have something to do with temporal lobe damage of some sort? It's great to finally hear of others experiencing it too.

hello!

i think people with bp are stuck there (the optical illusion position)

what i am thinking about is the ability to "correct" that state.

like when you are having strong visuals. then trying to center your eyes. the visuals, like optical illusions, come from the same place. (not sure where that is) if you can move your eyes outward then you can stop the visuals. just like stopping an optical illusion. gosh, i wish i had terms for this.

anyone know how to word this?

Archived