CrazyBoards.org

focalin versus dexedrine?

I know what the chemical difference is but I don't know what to think in terms of what to expect. I just joined and have read many posts. The ADD diagnosis is new to me just about 3 months ago. I take xanax for anxiety, moving off of cymbalta right now for anxiety as well and off to something else because the cymbalta makes me feel miserable, maybe depressed a bit.

I took adderall and it worked well but then it made me have heart palpitations - not just racing but extra beats as well.

I tried regular ritalin for a couple days and it just made me sort of tired. Now I am on focalin xr at 15mg a day and it just doesn't work as well as the ritalin. The doctor wants me to keep going on it and I will but my mood is also shitty and I dont know if that is the focalin or the cymbalta. My energy is also not nearly as good as either when I took the adderall or when not on a med like cymbalta or another ssri.

what do you all think?? I can't find anyone that even takes dexedrine.

i've never taken any other stimulant. i take dexedrine. spansules. 20mg am/10 mg pm ... i've never had any significantly negative side effect from it. (yes, of course when i take my usual daily dose washed down by 8 cups of coffee and no food, it's going to rev me up a bit. that's no surprise. that's just stress and forgetfulness and stupidity on my part.

as i mentioned before, i can't comment on focalin as it's never been prescribed for me. but i'm one of those big fans of dexedrine. ;)

am the opposite of wake me, as I've no experience with dexadrine but some (blah!) with focalin.

focalin and I did not play nice together.

for me, it was like I had a bunch of cotton in my head and I couldn't form a thought for the life of me (rather than having waaaay to freaking many thoughts like normal) which was NOT good during midterm. failed a midterm exam for the first time ever because I was still on question 6 (of 20.) after two and a half hours and had to turn it in mostly blank.

bah.

not a good feeling. I was just in a kinda moodless fog, but this doesn't sound like you're having the same experience so as always, YMMV. if you have nothing extremely important in the next few days, I'd stick it out for another few like the doc suggests since getting used to a new med always takes time. my pdoc quack was a quack for switching meds on me during exams. I was a sheep and didn't think 'oh, duhhh, this might be a bad idea'

whoops! looks like I'm still bitter (am overachiever from hell. don't like thinking about said F.)

am also tired so I hope this post makes some bit of sense,

luck

m

• 3 weeks later...

Adderall worked but also made me kind of anxious and volatile.

Focalyn worked but I felt like I had a boss in my head, plus my s.o. said I seemed like a zombie.

Dexedrine seems to work at least some without making me volatile, but it doesn't turn me into a zombie either.

Although some may disagree with this, based upon my personal and very lengthy experience with all of the legal stimulant (and stimulating) medications, I consider there to be two groups: The activating stimulants, and the deactivating stimulants. The activating stimulants ((Dex)Methylphenidate, Strattera and similar anti-depressants) achieve beneficial effects through "activating" the mind's ability to stay on track overall whereas the "deactivating" stimulants (amphetamines) strengthen the mind's ability to stay on track in a particular area. I consider Ritalin/Focalin to be more of a keep children behaved medication, and Adderall/Dexedrine to be more of a keep children focused medication. The Methyl- class of medications make it easier to focus in areas overall, and the Amphetamine class of medications make it easier to stay very focused in a particular area. In the Methyl- class, organization is primary and strength of focus is secondary. In the Amphetamine class, strength of focus is primary and organization is secondary. The secondary effect in each case is directly related to the primary effect. My view is that you should choose the medication that is most suited for its primary effect in your particular case.

Archived