CrazyBoards.org

Sleeping while Awake.

So my sleep pattern is down to...

Go to sleep round 2h30 and wake around 6h30.

Today at lunch time I lay down to rest for 15 minutes, and immediately my breath settled into "deep sleep" breathing. I was quite conscious and awake, could hear people moving around etc.

You know how if you enter a room and someone is deeply asleep? You can hear that very deep, even, slightly fast breathing sound.

That's what I was doing.

Whilst conscious.

Clearly part of my brain had had enough of all this wakefulness stuff and switched off, since it wasn't needed for walking me around.

I wonder which part?

After 15 minutes I was up, awake and back to work.

That happens when you get sleep deprived. Your bran usually goes into a quick REM sleep but you still "feel" somewhat awake. I have Narcolepsy and it happens to me all the time. It's an odd feeling, but your body has to sleep, so you do. It's not really a deep sleep however; not stage four where your body rejuvenates or anything. Generally, it's quick REM sleep so your brain can de-clutter and start to function again.

That happens when you get sleep deprived. Your bran usually goes into a quick REM sleep but you still "feel" somewhat awake. I have Narcolepsy and it happens to me all the time. It's an odd feeling, but your body has to sleep, so you do. It's not really a deep sleep however; not stage four where your body rejuvenates or anything. Generally, it's quick REM sleep so your brain can de-clutter and start to function again.

*nods* this is just what i would say too. it is not in my experience restful at all. it does feel like my brain trying to organize current information in a crazy dream-like way that i can't control (because i'm not really awake), trying to make sense out of what's happening because i'm too tired to put it all together as logically as i should. i do this in microsleeps, the longer i go without regular sleep (in other words it's not fifteen minutes of REM, it's ten seconds of REM and ten seconds of awake and back and forth until you really don't know the difference and you say everything out loud in your sleep because it's ALL real - if that made any sense to you, your sleep is as fucked up as mine....)

so yeah if the not sleeping enough doesn't resolve itself anytime soon i'd talk to a doc. i don't know what you do for a living but nodding in and out like that can be dangerous.

- rita

Archived