CrazyBoards.org

has anyone tried this:: depressionmeds.jpg

here is the info on it:

Sam-e, or S-Adenosylmethionine, is a substance synthesized from methionine (an amino acid) in the body. Children have seven times more SAM-e than adults. Men have higher quantities of Sam-e than women. Depression is linked to low SAM-e levels in people of all ages. People suffering from Alzheimer

yup, great for depression, especially the treatment resistant kind - my mother who is MDD/SAD/PTSD takes it as her main med and finds it helpful.

I did a really long post on this recently, so I'm not doing it again.... (if you want to find it do a search)

major drawback: bipolars can't take it - I'm not sure if this applies to schizoaffectives also...

reason being eg in a study 80% of bipolars taking it went manic.

If you can take it, make sure its the enteric coated variety (best absorbed in intestine) , take it with B vitamins to help metabolisation, and preferably also TMG (trimethylglycine) to reduce the risk of elevated homocysteine levels (bad for your heart)

you could discuss it with your pdoc, but its highly probably they've never heard of it

has anyone tried this:

Yes. It's been discussed here before, too. The ad copy you qouted from the company reminds me of the adage: If it sounds too good to be true, and there's money to be made off it, it is. As effective as "antidepressants" but no side effects - if this were a mainstream pharmaceutical and not an "alternative", would you believe that to be true, when even placebo has side-effects? ;)

I have seen references to SAMe having a role in serotonin production. However, that was SAMe produced by the body's own tissues, not taken by mouth - this IS something that could be broken down by enzymes in the stomach, so you would need an enteric-coated preparation.

Personally, it still left me feeling a little more tired than before, so it probably does have an effect on serotonin levels in the average person. I'd rate it weaker than 5-HTP, and as it was more expensive than 5-HTP or a generic SSRI, I can't really recommend it.

As to ShadowCat's recommendations, I personally take a trimethylglycine supplement, but that literally comes from beets - which are healthier and probably cheaper. I just don't eat beets.

I haven't tried it yet, but my pdoc suggested it last time I saw him (it's expensive!). He's into a lot of the "natural" remedies (in addition to traditional treatment). The level of depression I'm experiencing now is barely perceptible and most likely due to birth control pills. No where near bad enough for me to consider antidepressants. I may give it a try, but I've got a handful of supplements, etc. he wants me to add and I prefer to add things one (even supplements) at a time so I can pinpoint effectiveness and causes of side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

tomorrow I get my sam-e, so I will let you know how it goes!

Good luck - a reasonable number of folks do find it good, and there are quite a few recent studies that do seem to indicate that it can be as effective as regular ADs (especially with certain kinds of treatment resistant depression), which is probably why it gets prescribed quite a bit in Europe I gather, but yeah it does often have side effects, though of a less serious kind on the whole than regular ADs (most frequent side effect is varying degrees of gastrointestinal upset or pain, best started at 100/200mg for that reason - but I'll let you use Google (avoid sites that manufacture/sell the stuff)/ask your dr for more info). It does have the benefit that if its going to work, you'll probably know in the first week (if you are taking a sufficent dosage)

(If you find it expensive, Google iherb (cheap source) which is where my mum gets it from)

yeah let us know how you go... course it may not work for you but it has a good a chance as any AD has I gather...

Archived