CrazyBoards.org

Fairly simple (for others that is)

My work PC has all kinds of programs and applications on it, but all necessary. Due to this, my harddrive is almost out of room and that warning keeps popping up about freeing more space on the C: drive. Do I just need more memory? Can I buy it and plug it in like I have seen other people do? Thanks!

My work PC has all kinds of programs and applications on it, but all necessary. Due to this, my harddrive is almost out of room and that warning keeps popping up about freeing more space on the C: drive. Do I just need more memory? Can I buy it and plug it in like I have seen other people do? Thanks!

Hard drives are pretty cheap per gig nowadays... probably the best solution. While the amount of RAM (memory) does influence the size of spare space that Windows requires for "virtual memory" (if your RAM is not very large it writes lots of the extra stuff it needs to know and can't fit in the RAM to the disk to make up for it)... not really knowing the specs of your system thats probably the best advice I can give: get an extra HDD.

How much disk space does your 'puter have now? Have you defragged? Adding another HDD is always an option, but it takes more than programs usually to fill up even a basic 40 GB........sounds like alot of other stuff is saved too?

With more details we could give you more advice.......

cheers

I've got Windows XP pro on a Dell optiplex GX110 - [link=http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Dell-Optiplex-GX110-GX110" target="_blank]Here[/link] are the specs on the machine. The computer is attached to a server if that matters.

System Info says:

x86 blah blah blah intel processor ~863 Mhz.

Physical memory: 384 MB

Available physical memory: 143.89

Total Virtual memory: 2MB

Available virtual memory: 1.96 MB (hmmmm, that right there is probably a problem)

There is an old D-base program and an old marketing program that could be removed as long as we saved it somewhere. Can a memory stick hold that or am I stuck with the info on my computer?

How annoying is it to get a new hard drive? Reinstall programs and such? I have defragged, it even got upset with me there saying I don't have enough room to defrag. And I deleted all old files and cookies and cached objects...

Thanks for your help on this -

There are cheap USB "pen drives" with 4 to 8 GB of space on them, and the SD devices used to store pictures in cameras and telephones easily go up to 2GB. Keep the programs on the hard drive, move the data off to directories on the plugs. Stuff you really want to keep - tax records, pictures, etc. can be burned to a DVD. Every few years you'll want to restore the files to the hard drive and rewrite them, but that's not a huge difficulty.

It's not hard to just add another IDE hard drive for storage. Make it the D: drive, and install new programs to D:\Program Files

null0trooper has a great idea.......save stuff to flash drives and burn onto dvd.....flashes are cheap considering how much work you save using them...........You'd be amazed how much space all that MyDOC and stuff gets full.

Oh and then defragment .........you'll see a speed increase.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Total Virtual memory: 2MB

Available virtual memory: 1.96 MB (hmmmm, that right there is probably a problem)

Ya, the paging file (involved in virtual memory) should be 1.5 x your physical memory, up to about 1 gig. So, yours should probably be like 500 mb, or just set it to "system managed." It looks like yours has been set to just 2mb.

About the D-base prog: burn it to CD, then you can remove whatever has been off-loaded. A memory stick can malfunction if you pull it out at the wrong time and wipe out data, so a CD is much better for permanent backup! There are also online backup options if you are into that, but this should still be secondary to a reliable, handy CD copy.

A new hard drive is not annoying if you are NOT replacing your hard drive. Adding one is as easy as physically installing it and then formatting it. Replacing one means a lot of headache, including re-installing windows and copying all your data to it. Windows makes it very hard to just "copy the drive" as of XP (it was possible with 98, NT and 2000) as they now consider that piracy.

Archived