CrazyBoards.org

Depakote Weight Gain  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How much weight have you gained on Depakote?

• None that I've noticed
    • <5 pounds
    • 5-10 pounds
    • 10-15 pounds
    • 15-20 pounds
    • 20-30 pounds
    • 30+ pounds
    • Dear God, I'm a blimp!

Yes, I know this topic has probably been done to death, but I was wondering how many people actually experienced weight gain, and how much weight was gained on Depakote. I'm just starting it and really dread the weight gain. I know that responses will vary quite a bit by dosage, but I'm curious just the same. As they say, "thanks for playing."

Edited by abitcrazy

had to find an online converter so I could figure it out in pounds: 55.

BUT I was a. on it for 3 years, and b. taking up to 1500mg (I was to be specific taking Sodium Valproate but I think it has exactly the same effects - can never remember whether thats depakon, depakene, or depakote... think it all ends up the same... er... metabolite or something) (uh I think I better try to sleep before the sun comes up - I have no brain)

• 5 years later...

I voted 'not that I have noticed'. It's hard to say since my weight fluctuates a bit, maybe a few, or nothing. I'm on 1000mg.

I did however notice that while I was on the non-extended release, I did get cravings right after taking a dose, since I took the dose after dinner, it meant more snacking. On the ER, there is nothing of that. But I did watch what I ate for a bit.

I have never had such an inhuman hunger in my life. This wasn't cravings. It was primal. I'd eat dinner. Ten minutes later I would be starving, stomach growling, ready to eat again. I've never been a big eater. The stuff was the first to really help with the rapid cycling I was having so I stayed on it for four months and over 30 pounds.