CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone found a dietary change helps?

Mine is from Lithium and Seroquel. I eat a pretty decent diet, Meditarrean-style. Does drinking more water help or have people found limiting carbs helps? I guess ideally I'm looking for studies specific to losing weight from med weight gain...

Mine is from Lithium and Seroquel. I eat a pretty decent diet, Meditarrean-style. Does drinking more water help or have people found limiting carbs helps? I guess ideally I'm looking for studies specific to losing weight from med weight gain...

I'm mostly just guessing here... There's a chance that meds like Zyprexa, Seroquel, or Remeron may affect your metabolism itself, but it seems like they mainly affect your appetite. Or at least, people who are used to ignoring their food cravings (like anorexia sufferers) tend not to gain weight on some them--unlike the rest of us*. (I don't know whether their blood levels of triglycerides, "bad" cholesterol, etc., are affected. It's possible that some of these drugs affect their health, regardless of the weight issue itself...

P.S. It appears that you're also on Topamax. I think Topa may counteracts the weight gain.

*or so I've heard (read) our dear Silver say (write).

I'm on Seroquel and Topamax. I started the Topamax first.

I initially started to gain weight when I started on the Seroquel because I craved carbs like there was no tomorrow. However, with a good eating plan and regular exercise, I've lost 95 pounds over the last three years (I plateaued for a good year and a half) - most of which I had on before I began the Seroquel, but was weight gain from Depakote. I never lost weight with the Topamax, but I didn't gain weight either.

I don't know of any studies, but that's a personal experience.

I stopped eating sugar & white flour. I'm not a purist. I eat things with smalls amounts of sugar in them like salad dressing and even bread. I eat whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread. No junk food/sugary crap. Anyways, it really curbed my appetite and stopped my binging. I've lost 64 lbs since September. I started it to help my moods. It was a bipolar book suggestion. It is suppose to help minimize the daily mood swings from blood sugar level fluctuations.

Good luck.

Oreo ;)

I stopped eating sugar & white flour. I'm not a purist. I eat things with smalls amounts of sugar in them like salad dressing and even bread. I eat whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread. No junk food/sugary crap. Anyways, it really curbed my appetite and stopped my binging. I've lost 64 lbs since September. I started it to help my moods. It was a bipolar book suggestion. It is suppose to help minimize the daily mood swings from blood sugar level fluctuations.

Good luck.

Oreo ;)

Oreo:

That's really helpful and something I've thought of because of the blood sugar connection thing. Can I ask what you eat for breakfast? (I always eat Kashi which must be filled with sugar). Have you noticed a help with the mood swings (or is it too hard to tell with meds, etc.)? Do you worry about yogurt or milk? If you can direct me to any sort of low-sugar diet, I'd appreciate it. Do you keep the sugar down to a cetain number of mg per day?

Here's my thought - the 1/2 diet. Eat only half of your meal/snack. Then, perhaps, I can still have my occasinal milkshake. :)

- Kiki

Pre-seroquel, the Atkins diet had me really skinny. Sq has brought on the weight. I've tried to repeat the Atkins, have made several attempts, but actually trying to cut out the carbs made me crave them ever worse. Being careful certainly helps, I do work out a little, but not enough to lose pounds (but at least I'm helping my body a little). Between the belief of screwed up metabolism, and the cravings, I feel lik it's impossible to lose the weight.

I talked to pdoc about it, we're going to *try* to very slowly taper off seroquel, and titrate Abilify. Already I'm substituting the morning 50mg of sq with 5 mg of abilify, and I've noticed that I'm just not that hungry. I don't mind trying to give up the daytime doses of sq, I'm just worried about the nightly dose, because it makes me sleep. Without it, I'm doomed, and I don't want to take a sleeping pill.

gah, it's a love/hate relationship.

Pre-seroquel, the Atkins diet had me really skinny. Sq has brought on the weight. I've tried to repeat the Atkins, have made several attempts, but actually trying to cut out the carbs made me crave them ever worse. Being careful certainly helps, I do work out a little, but not enough to lose pounds (but at least I'm helping my body a little). Between the belief of screwed up metabolism, and the cravings, I feel lik it's impossible to lose the weight.

I talked to pdoc about it, we're going to *try* to very slowly taper off seroquel, and titrate Abilify. Already I'm substituting the morning 50mg of sq with 5 mg of abilify, and I've noticed that I'm just not that hungry. I don't mind trying to give up the daytime doses of sq, I'm just worried about the nightly dose, because it makes me sleep. Without it, I'm doomed, and I don't want to take a sleeping pill.

gah, it's a love/hate relationship.

Re: the Seroquel - yes, agree totally - love/hate. I take 300-400 mg/day - I'm lucky I haven't gained 100 pounds!

Good luck.

Oreo ;)

Oreo:

That's really helpful and something I've thought of because of the blood sugar connection thing. Can I ask what you eat for breakfast? (I always eat Kashi which must be filled with sugar). Have you noticed a help with the mood swings (or is it too hard to tell with meds, etc.)? Do you worry about yogurt or milk? If you can direct me to any sort of low-sugar diet, I'd appreciate it. Do you keep the sugar down to a cetain number of mg per day?

Here's my thought - the 1/2 diet. Eat only half of your meal/snack. Then, perhaps, I can still have my occasinal milkshake. :)

- Kiki

Kiki,

Like I said, I'm not a purist. For breakfast, I eat Banilla Stonyfield Farm lowfat yogurt with some sunflower seeds, a handful of frozen Blueberries, and a little Unclesam's cereal (whole wheat with toasted flaxseed--no sugar & lots of fiber). I mix it all up. The blueberries thaw in about 20 minutes. The yogurt does have sugar in it. So far it hasn't triggered me. I'm thinking I will make the leap to plain yogurt and sweeten it with either Stevia or Agave syrup.

I drink 1% milk all the time. I also drink soy milk sometimes. I live on seltzer water. I've limited my caffeine to 3 cups in the morning and either 2 cans of diet soda or a cup of tea in the afternoon. It still a lot, but it is better than what I was doing. I drink a lot of liquids.

I eat a turkey sandwich with 2 slices of deli turkey and 1 piec of cheese and a tablespoon of Nayonaisse (soy mayo--tastes great) on good whole wheat bread for lunch. Sometimes I eat a sandwich of all natural peanut butter and Polaner all fruit if I run out of turkey.

For an afternoon snack, I eat either 2 wedges of light Laughing cow cheese or applesause sweetened with splenda. Occasionally I break down and buy Fire Roasted Tomato & Olive Oil Triscuits for a snack. I bought a thing of fresh cherries last week. I'll also snack on olives.

For dinner, I have a frozen box of veggies (usually broccoli, french style green beans with almonds, or sugar snap peas) and a frozen entree. Usually Amy's Organic Mac & Cheese or Amy's Organic Pizza Pocket sandwiches. Once a week I have a pork chop breaded with Ken's lite Cesar dressing and Ian's Whole Wheat bread crumbs plus my veggie. I eat a good cut of steak and mushrooms with my veggie once a week. I also will eat pumpkin as my veggie sometimes. (Pumpkin is listed as a super food). I use unsweetend can pumpkin from Libbies. I add a little pumpkin pie spice and splenda to sweeten it. It is very good.

I would say the biggest sugar problem I have is the yogurt but it doesn't set any cravings off. I have a sugar problem. I'm addicted to it. If I eat sugary food, I don't stop. I'll binge everyday. Then my regular appetite is also increased. White flour seems to trigger these urges also. So it's an all or nothing deal for me. Just like drinking. I am involved with AA & OA. I don't count calories, fat grams or anything else. I do not think 'diet'.

I also can eat the same thing everyday. I have the same breakfast everyday. Mostly the same lunch. And a limited assortment for dinner. I've always been like that. I'm also single, so I don't cook big meals.

At the same time I started to eat this way, I also started a regular sleep schedule and routine. Between both I do feel better. I discontinued (with my pdoc's support) Geodon, Lamictal, & Wellbutrin and am still feeling pretty good. Now if I would just exercise.

Sorry for such a long post, I hope it is helpful.

Oreo :)

Thanks, Oreo. Very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to type it out. I am also an ex-alcohol addict so the blood sugar thing connects with that as well (I'm involved with SMART). Thanks again!

- Kiki

Archived