CrazyBoards.org

depression-is it healthy to look back...

Just a question (that I will bring to my doctor next time)...

Do you look at photo albums, talk about your memories and things from when you were healthy?

For me healthy was just a short time ago. I've been looking at photo albums and scrapbooks of vacations and see such a different person in pictures of myself. Thicker hair, plumper face, real smile. And I think about how I was that person once, I can be again.

Or, should I remind myself that life may never be the same and file all that good stuff away as a thing of the past and try just to make the best of my fututre?

Any advice is great--I've done ADHD for a while but am a depression newbie and a realist.

Remember the good or move on?

Just a question (that I will bring to my doctor next time)...

Do you look at photo albums, talk about your memories and things from when you were healthy?

For me healthy was just a short time ago. I've been looking at photo albums and scrapbooks of vacations and see such a different person in pictures of myself. Thicker hair, plumper face, real smile. And I think about how I was that person once, I can be again.

Or, should I remind myself that life may never be the same and file all that good stuff away as a thing of the past and try just to make the best of my fututre?

Any advice is great--I've done ADHD for a while but am a depression newbie and a realist.

Remember the good or move on?

Both.

Your self-awareness abilities are good.

I think that you are probably just grieving your losses and that is very healthy.

At other moments, think about your illness, the impact that it has on your life, and make helpful changes to adapt.

Realize that recovery is more than possible and that your life may end up being better than it was before.

All of this is realistic.

A good Tdoc might be your best resource in regards to this.

Been there,

Sunshine Outside

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't sound to me like the good times are gone forever. Can you convince yourself that this kind of stuff can happen again? It seems likely.

I have a picture on my wall from a really nutty trip I took with my friends many years ago. It gives me pleasure to look at it, and I think I liked looking at it some even when I was really down.

Think of those pics as a reminder of what you're working to get back to.

Archived