CrazyBoards.org

wierd headaches, kinda sinusy but with stabbing pains

I've read a bit about headaches caused by histamines, but it doesn't exactly fit any of them...

I'm prone to sinusitis and I often take anti-histamines to help with that (they only help a little bit, sometimes), I also know that Lamictal causes a rise in histamine levels. I've had this for a few days - its kind of like a "full" feeling in the temples, and constant dull pain there... It possibly has some sinusitis involved because I can sniff and get mucus going down my throat, and I get referred pain in my ears like with sinus. But I also seem to get sudden stabbing pains at random intervals like someone is stabbing me with a knife on the top of my head (well probably not as bad as if someone actually was doing that, but that kind of the sensation). Anti-histamines (Claratine) don't seem to do much.

I had the stabbing type headaches (without sinus) many years back, and they were there long enough for me to get a referral to a neurologist but then they went away all of a sudden, so I never went...

I'm thinking this is maybe the Lamictal doing this, since I went up to 100mg several days ago... and they kind of started after that... but I'm not sure. Could be coincidence.

I'm not sure if this is linked - I had severe sinusitis over the new year for about 2 months, by far the the worst I've ever had - probably initially viral which turned into a bacterial infection - it got so painful and I was worried about it becoming systemic as I got a stiff neck also, and I was forced to find a dr to give me antibiotics (like the first antibiotics I'd taken for about 10 years) , and it seemed to be responding, but the course he gave me was short and it came back, took another month to go away. I don't know if this might be it coming back again... but I didn't have the stabbing pains then. My eyes seem to be a bit photosensitive at present, but again that could be an unrelated symptom. Oh and I keep getting a bit nauseous.

I'm not sure about this... I guess I should go to the dr maybe, but I kind of don't want to unless I think its neccessary, I've been to him about 3 times in the last month already and I don't want him to think I'm a hypochondriac or something. I'd like to maybe get an idea of what was perhaps the cause first... so I can figure out whether I should see him or not...

Has anyone had anything like this before, or does anyone have any ideas about it? I'd appreciate any input... thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read a bit about headaches caused by histamines, but it doesn't exactly fit any of them...

I'm prone to sinusitis and I often take anti-histamines to help with that (they only help a little bit, sometimes), I also know that Lamictal causes a rise in histamine levels. I've had this for a few days - its kind of like a "full" feeling in the temples, and constant dull pain there... It possibly has some sinusitis involved because I can sniff and get mucus going down my throat, and I get referred pain in my ears like with sinus. But I also seem to get sudden stabbing pains at random intervals like someone is stabbing me with a knife on the top of my head (well probably not as bad as if someone actually was doing that, but that kind of the sensation). Anti-histamines (Claratine) don't seem to do much.

It took me decades to work this one out....

I use to live in a _very_ polluted area and got sinusitis regularly..... and intense sinus headaches regularly....

Then I when to live in a _much_ cleaner area.

The sinusitus went away...

The headaches didn't stop....

And the stuffy feeling accompanying them didn't stop.

Then eventually I worked out I was having migraines without visual aura. Then I read Oliver Sacks "Migraine" book.

Lo and behold.... stuffy nose from inflamed blood vessels is perfectly standard for migraines.

I bet half my sinusitus headaches were migraines aggravated in both directions by pollutions and buggered sinuses.

• 1 month later...

I had the stabbing type headaches (without sinus) many years back, and they were there long enough for me to get a referral to a neurologist but then they went away all of a sudden, so I never went...

I'm thinking this is maybe the Lamictal doing this, since I went up to 100mg several days ago... and they kind of started after that... but I'm not sure. Could be coincidence.

I'm not sure if this is linked - I had severe sinusitis over the new year for about 2 months, by far the the worst I've ever had - probably initially viral which turned into a bacterial infection - it got so painful and I was worried about it becoming systemic as I got a stiff neck also, and I was forced to find a dr to give me antibiotics (like the first antibiotics I'd taken for about 10 years) , and it seemed to be responding, but the course he gave me was short and it came back, took another month to go away. I don't know if this might be it coming back again... but I didn't have the stabbing pains then. My eyes seem to be a bit photosensitive at present, but again that could be an unrelated symptom. Oh and I keep getting a bit nauseous.

I'm not sure about this... I guess I should go to the dr maybe, but I kind of don't want to unless I think its neccessary, I've been to him about 3 times in the last month already and I don't want him to think I'm a hypochondriac or something. I'd like to maybe get an idea of what was perhaps the cause first... so I can figure out whether I should see him or not...

Has anyone had anything like this before, or does anyone have any ideas about it? I'd appreciate any input... thanks.

You might have "ice pick" headaches above and beyond the sinus issues. They feel like you describe---the stabbing pain. I'm going through a spell of them right now. Triptans will not help.

Deebea

Archived