CrazyBoards.org

Question about Duration of Symptoms

I was just curious about others' experiences with the duration of symptoms. The time-frame the DSM-V puts on episodes in order for them to be "real" bugs me. I suppose I've had a week-long manic episode, mostly marked by irritability, but the euphoric mania only lasts a day or two. Also, my mixed episodes tend to be short. I know we explain that as rapid cycling but that's not what the DSM says. What happens to people who don't fit the duration requirement but exhibit all the symptoms? I fear some may fall through the cracks...

- Kiki

My depressive episodes last longer than my hypomanic ones. I don't think I have ever been truly manic. My depressive episodes last several months or longer. I have had at least mild depression for most of my life. And then I have the extreme depressive episodes as well. When I am hypomanic it only lasted around 2 months and that was last year. I thought I was on top of the world and nothing could go wrong. I thought my art was going to change the world and I would make millions of dollars so I drew like crazy. I was hyper and talked real fast. I've always had mood swings most of my life but I don't really remember them and how long those lasted. I am never in the middle, always up or down. Mostly down.

Archived