CrazyBoards.org

Wordpad, please

I can't find it and can't survive without it.

No, it doesn't have one. Microsoft would prefer you to buy Word.

There are free or cheap editors out there for download, but that can cause more problems than it may solve.

Damn. Is notepad an editor that would have it?

Not a chance. Wordpad has more features than Notepad, which was intended as a replacement for edlin (an old MS-DOS utility)

[link=http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/" target="_blank]TinyMCE[/link] or something like that might work.

Edit: And, sorry to say, Windows Vista sucks - bad enough even, that my office refuses to allow it to be installed.

I was avoiding mentioning Open Office. Even though it works well, it's a rather huge download if you want it for free.

After having MS Office 2007 inflicted at work, I can't honestly say that linux (for example, a Gentoo or Ubuntu distribution) is much more difficult for the home user. If you have the time to learn and don't have much cash, there are worse things to do with one's time than to install linux on an older computer and play with it.

120 megabytes or summit like dat.........

User Friendly Distributions of Linux?

Suse

Mandriva

Ubuntu

PCLinux0S

Mepis

Most, if not all, have a boot off cd option, meaning you can run the desktop from your CD and RAM....not touching your hard disk at all........be warned, depending on how much RAM you have? some may run slow off the cd.....if you like it, consider, as Null said, trying it out, play with it....put it on a spare partition...whatever.....

cheers

;)

Hmmm. Heh.

Confused? Don't blame you!

Basically, if you want a full text editor (like Microsoft Word), go for Open Office. It is a larger programme than your Notepad/Wordpad. It includes programs equivalent to Power Point, Excel etc., but you can choose not to install them (you might even be able to choose not to download them, I think).

If all you want to do is type and save, go for one of the smaller recommended programs (Editpad, TinyMCE)

Get a gmail account through google? It comes with an online word processor that lets you store documents online and a very fast word processor and tons of online space to store documents/emails. No downloads necessary. It's free. The WP looks like Word and is very intuitive anyway. So long as you have a modestly good internet connection you'll never need anything else to WP and you can access your documents from any computer with a connection in the world. Handy if like me you don't have a printer. I sound like an advert but it really is brilliant and I'm happy for microsoft not to be even more in my pockets.

This might be saner than open office. It's still a full word processor though.

http://www.abisource.com/

This is more of a source code editor. It's the classic unix text editor vim reconfigured to act like a windows text editor.

http://cream.sourceforge.net/

Both have a lot of features you don't need but they do have spelling checkers.

Archived