CrazyBoards.org

Greetings from Sweden

Hello all. I'm a thirty-something American expatriate living and working in Gothenburg, Sweden. I originally came to Sweden as a love immigrant and decided to make it my permanent (or at least indefinite) home. I also admin/mod several forum, but don't worry. I won't try to "back seat" mod this one....at least not yet. ;)

I have adult on-set ideopathic tonic clonic epilepsy. What a mouthful, I know. In simpler terms, I started having "grand mal" seizures when I was 25, and so far no can figure out why.

I was originally taking carbamezapine, but turned out to be allergic to it. I've recently been prescribed Lamictal.

Anyway, this looks like an interesting place and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

How are you affected by the epilepsy? I know very little about it.

Thankfully, my seizures don't occur very often,..so apart from not being able to drive a car, I'm actually not that affected by them. The last one was on January 5th of this year, and that one was sixteen months after the previous one, which was a little over five years after the previous one. In fact, up to just a couple of months ago, I wasn't taking any medication for at all. However, after this latest seizure in January my neurolgist determined that they were starting to occur with more frequency, and it was time to start taking medication.

He said that as long as I take my meds then there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to get a driver's license, but like Hugo Weaving, I choose not to drive.

I was just diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. I had my first tonic clonic at age 25 (I'm 26 now). How odd, we both had our first one at age 25! I've met a couple of people who had their first ones at age 25. I wonder why that is. Any ideas?

Welcome! We're happy to have you =D

Thanks for all the warm welcome everyone! I'm liking this place more and more. That's interesting about the age of 25. I'm not sure what it is about that age that causes some people's brains to short circuit. All the EEGs and CT scans I've had have been normal, so there doen't appear to be anything immediately wrong with my brain.

I have a few theories as to why I get seizures, though. When I was 25 I was in graduate school, which was possibly the most stressful time of my life. I studied full-time, had two part-time jobs, and I was in an abusive co-dependant relationship. Maybe my brain just couldn't handle it anymore. Who knows?

Major head injuries can cause also seizures and I once suffered a fractured skull and major concussion. I was only seven then, and had no seizures between the age of seven and 25, at least that I know of. That's the thing about seizures: you have absolutely no memory of them, so unless there were witnesses then it's possible to have a seizure (say, in your sleep) and not know it. I know that flashing lights aren't a trigger either because I had that flashing lights EEG test and it went fine.

At this point they seem to be occuring completely randomly, but hopefully this new medication will take care of it.

Some of seizure triggers can be just plain bizarre. Have you ever heard of that young woman who would have a seizure whenever she heard a particular song by Sean Paul?

Archived