CrazyBoards.org

OK, started Abilify 8 days ago. Love it. Knocked my hypoishmania on it's ass, doesn't make me depressed (like Seroquel), and doesn't make me sleep like I've been slipped a Mickey and clubbed over the head with a five iron (like Seroquel).

Unfortunately, I have anxiety from Hell. I'm not sure if it's a side effect of the drug, or if my anxiety is rearing its ugly head again. I had anxiety until Effexor, and I haven't had any anxiety until day two of Abilify. I just assumed the anxiety went into remission or something. I want to puke all of the time, but the feeling went away after I had two carefully, strategically planned drinks over the weekend. Which makes me think the pukiness is from the anxiety.

Here are my questions (Yeah, yeah, they're for pdoc. But I try not to bug him if possible):

1. Any idea as to whether or not the anxiety is a side effect or if Effexor/Lamictal covered it up.

2. Would an increase in Lamictal help or hinder? I don't seem to tolerate AD's; my pdoc doesn't prescribe benzosall that often; even if pdoc prescribed benzos for me, I'm afraid to take them as my family has a history of substance abuse, however I do not; and I am not going back on Seroquel. Wild horses or an HMO could not get me back on that drug.

3. Should I call pdoc or should I wait a few weeks?

I'm sick of being nauseated. I can't seem to get food down. I've been living off of water and mint-flavored things and miso. I want real food...

• 3 weeks later...

1. Any idea as to whether or not the anxiety is a side effect or if Effexor/Lamictal covered it up.

2. Would an increase in Lamictal help or hinder?

I did find Abilify to be activating/agitating so there's a chance it is the Abilify.

Lamictal was a weird one for me, I think it did cause agitation.

Everyone is different though, best to speak to your psychiatrist.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't find Lamictal activating, but Abilify seems to be. My pdoc has lowered the dose since this post, and I'm starting to feel a little better. The fewer stomach issues is a plus.

Thanks again!

Abilify's been activating for me. I take 10mg in the morning. While I don't get nauseated or ill, I find that it completely squashes my hunger until late afternoon. I take an evening dose of seroquel (50 mg), then a nightly dose (400), so I can't say whether it would affect my sleep.

So, I might think that it could be it, you're just experiencing far more intense s/e's than I am.

talk to your pdoc, that's why you pay him! Seriously, if it's giving you this many problems, he needs to know. Don't be shy about it.

Archived