CrazyBoards.org

Anxiety At An All Time High

In April I turned 19 so I was taken off my mom's insurance.

I've been having problems with anxiety since I was a young teen. I was seeing a P-Doc and I was put on xanax 2mgs 4 times a day, I didn't take them every day because I was worried about getting addicted.

I've been on almost every medication for my anxiety but xanax works. I've learned breathing exercises, I've read books.. I've done all that I could.

Now I don't have xanax..

I can't call anybody without getting a panic attack, I can't get my mail or leave my house. As soon as I walk out the door the anxiety hits me. I do try to make steps but its all very overwhelming.

I can't sleep at night because I start panicking about what I have to do the next day..

This isn't fair to my fiance.

Does anybody have an suggestions?

You weren't specific about 'not having xanax' but if you are trying to cold turkey off it, the result could be messy and/or deadly. There is a long detox period off xanax, given its 'strength' and short half life....I panic just thinking I need to refill tomorrow........what if the whole town is out of xanax???

You need to be under medical care....symptoms can start within 72 hours, so ......and they aren't pretty....google withdrawal xanax........worse part is , it makes us so schizzy, we don't even realize its withdrawal...

Chances are a doc or hospital will get you on a longer half life drug like klonopin, or valium.....to break the xanax dependency........requiring less dosing etc.....then weaning off the longer acting benzos...

Let us know whats going on? Are you doing the CT ? how long since your last xanax?

peace

Tanya, if you're in college you can get insurance through your school.

If you are working and your employer doesn't have it, some states have programs for low-cost insurance so that people like you can afford it.

You can also go to your county Dept. of Mental Health and explain your situation. It may be that they have a sliding-scale pdoc and a program to help you get prescriptions.

Will your mother help you out in terms of paying for your prescriptions? Your father? Any other relatives who might be supportive and loan or give you some money?

Dr. Faustus is correct that you shouldn't be going off this drug cold-turkey, without a long tapering-off period. If you really feel ill and have a panic attack, your fiance should take you to the ER.

olga

Tanya, I just read elsewhere on the boards that you are on SSI. If that is true, then you are on Medicaid. You need to see your caseworker at the Dept of Social Services, or whoever is handling your case. With SSI, you are entitled to receive health care including getting prescriptions.

First of all thank you! ;)

Tanya, if you're in college you can get insurance through your school.

As of now I'm not in collage.

If you are working and your employer doesn't have it, some states have programs for low-cost insurance so that people like you can afford it.

I don't work.

You can also go to your county Dept. of Mental Health and explain your situation. It may be that they have a sliding-scale pdoc and a program to help you get prescriptions.

I was told that my county has a great heath dep. For mental illness be my ex shirink. I'm going to them them a call tomorrow maybe they can help.

Will your mother help you out in terms of paying for your prescriptions? Your father? Any other relatives who might be supportive and loan or give you some money?

I have no contact with my father. My mom will help me out the most she can, because she's also in debt from doctors and the cost of her medication a month.

Dr. Faustus is correct that you shouldn't be going off this drug cold-turkey, without a long tapering-off period. If you really feel ill and have a panic attack, your fiance should take you to the ER.

I know he's right. I tried taking it everyother day because I didn't want to get addicted. I'm not, but since I've been off of it I'm constantly getting panic attacks and they are getting really bad. He's wanted to take to me ER but I'm scared that they will hospitalize me, and getting a huge bill from the hospital that I have no means on paying for.

Tanya, I just read elsewhere on the boards that you are on SSI. If that is true, then you are on Medicaid. You need to see your caseworker at the Dept of Social Services, or whoever is handling your case. With SSI, you are entitled to receive health care including getting prescriptions.

Yeah I got accepted my first time, I just got my first check this week. But nobody sent me anything about insurance or anything like that. Do you know if I can go to the public aid office to get on Medicaid?

I know it's different in each state, but in my state, you would go to the county Dept. of Social Services. If you are on SSI, you are (I think) automatically entitled to Medicaid. The caseworkers at DSS should be able to tell you what goes on.

Now, it may get dicey because I read elsewhere that you live with your boyfriend. With SSI, they want to know all about any sources of income you have, and any support received from family members. Crazynotstupid knows much more about this than I do, so I hope he will comment. But the bottom line is that you need to talk to a caseworker and find out how to see a psychiatrist, get your prescriptions, etc.

Be prepared for the fact that a lot of doctors don't take Medicaid patients. In my county, there is only one dentist and a few GPs who will take Medicaid.

But DSS is your first stop. And I think you need to tell your BF's parents that your stipend from SSI is supposed to be used to support YOU, not another person.

Good luck!

olga

Thanks!

I know its suppose to be for me. My mom said if they try to get any money from me she's stepping in.

I mean its pretty hard to live off $420 a month when the cost of living is so high.

Archived