CrazyBoards.org

I can't sleep if I have to get up early

For years I've experienced a kind of "getting up early in the morning" anxiety. I'm pretty obsessive about making sure my alarm is set, but no matter how exhausted I am I can't stop thinking about getting up on time, and this prevents me from falling asleep. I lie there thinking: "I need to get to sleep. I need to get to sleep"...etc.

I don't have any trouble falling asleep if I don't need to get up early, but if I do I'll wake up several times during the night and frantically check the time. This pattern usually continues until I have to get up, and then of course I'm a zombie the rest of the day. I told one of my doctors about this and she prescribed Propovan (propiomazine) to be taken as needed. The prescription sat unopened in my cupboard for several months because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to wake up or hear my alarm if I did. My neurologist told me I should take it if I can't sleep, but to take only a half of one 25mg tablet.

However, it doesn't always work because the anxiety is much stronger than the sedative. Maybe I should be taking more. The instructions say to take one to two tablets about an hour before going to sleep, But I'm afraid if I take the full dose I won't be able to wake up. ;)

If anyone has experienced this problem before, I'd appreciate any advice. *yaaaaaaawn*

I would do what the doctor said and take a full pill----or two of them.

Set the alarm, and set a back-up. Maybe you have an alarm on your cell phone.

And then you should practice some good "sleep hygiene." This stuff works if you get into it-----take a warm bath, drink a cup of some kind of soothing tea, read a boring book, listen to some repetitive music.

I wouldn't look at your email close to bedtime, and if it's possible to turn off the bell on your phone, do that.

To me, the key to getting to sleep is to not keep focusing on it. Do all of your preparation, take the pill, get into bed with a boring book and concentrate on the book. It doesn't matter when you drop off. This book is soooooooo slow. **yawn** Maybe just a few more pages. **bigger yawn**

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

heh You can do it. If you need relaxation techniques and mind-stilling exercises, you should consider taking a class in Yoga or meditation. Or maybe a therapist could help you with this.

Good luck!

olga

Thanks for the advice. Those are some really good tips, especially the boring book one. I remember when I was an English major in college that I always had to be reading some boring piece of literature that would put me to sleep if I tried to read it in bed.

Now where did I put that copy of "War and Peace"?

Gwen, I'm EXACTLY the same. I try everything, reading, watching t.v., etc. but if I have to be up early, my insomnia gets even worse and so does my anxiety/panic. It's horrible. It makes it really hard to have a job. I hope you find a solution!!!If you do, please share it!!!!!

Same here , all my life. Rather stay up than trust waking up on time......which as you know presents another red alert for BP........sigh

Good recommendations......and they can often help. As can what the doc prescribed. As for myself, I don't ever see my self sleeping normally , meh........

peace

Archived