CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro and Haldol

I was prescribed 5mg of haldol (haloperidol) and 10mg of lexapro. I read on some internet sites that the two cannot be mixed because lexapro decreases the metabolism of haldol. Is this true? What should I do then? I'm surprised my shrink didn't mention it to me.

I was prescribed 5mg of haldol (haloperidol) and 10mg of lexapro. I read on some internet sites that the two cannot be mixed because lexapro decreases the metabolism of haldol. Is this true? What should I do then? I'm surprised my shrink didn't mention it to me.

Some of the folks slapping web sites together should just be slapped. At least the automated medication interaction checkers do not pretend to consider dosages.

According to my favorite liver enzyme ref (I'm sure it's incomplete ;) ) Haldol (haloperidol) is a substrate for P450 1A2, 2D6, and the 3A4/5/7 group of isoenzymes. Of these metabolic pathways, Lexapro (escitalipram) has been shown to inhibit P450 2D6.

I've seen the abstract for a study of Lexapro's risk as an enzyme inhibitor, and it wasn't considered to be a very strong one. Also, there are other pathways to clear the Haldol out... Clearly there may be a synergistic effect of elevated Haldo levels, but 10 mg Lexapro isn't a high dose and 5 mg Haldol is strong but not the top end either. My advice would be to go ahead and take it as prescribed, and if the effects from the Haldol are more than you were told to expect, it would be a good reason to have the dosages reviewed.

Short version: It's possible for bad things to happen, but it's very unlikely to get really bad before you can call your doctor about it.

Archived