CrazyBoards.org

Explaining Cuts

So I see the gyno on Tuesday. It's not my normal one because I've moved. It's only the second time I've seen him. I have cuts on my upper arm and also my leg. There's no question about it he's going to see them. How on earth do I explain them to him without making myself look like an idiot? And how is he going to take me seriously about my complaints when he finds out I'm a cutter? ;) I've really screwed up this time.

Honestly, I would recommend telling the truth. Although, I was more comfortable recently because I had a female NP instead of a male gyn. Still, do you think he would take complaints seriously if he thought - or knew - you were lying? I had to tell my orthopedist, he did a full body joint exam, and of course he saw the scars. He wanted to know if I was seeking help, what kind, and who the dr was. That's all. No lecture, no further inquisitions. IMO, just because you've cut doesn't make you less believable about other complaints. I don't mean this to sound trite, but just be forthright, and downplay it if you can.

Well, that's my opinion, anyway, others may differ...

I really understand your fear of not being taken seriously, or him acting all weird about it. I see two options;

either you can mention it to him in a kinda casual way if you see him noticing it. Maybe talk about it in the same tone he uses when he talks about your vagina or STDs or something. Remember you don't have to explain it to him or justify it if you don't want to. Don't forget he's a pro, and he's probably still going to take you seriously when it comes to gyno stuff - that's what he's there for.

Or if you really want to avoid it all completely - maybe you can find some creative way of covering up. You know those looong socks dancers use, that go all the way up to the thighs? That and a skirt. Or some kind of bandage - then tell him you had some kind of accident, or you just had a huge tattoo made or something.

On the other hand, gyno exams can be hard, with or without cuts. It's a very intimate and vulnerable situation to be in, and physical intimacy might get mixed up with emotional intimacy (like it does in all kinds of other situations). I could understand it if you would somehow want him to know about it , if you could trust that he would be able to handle that information and still be professional. Maybe it's possible?

I talk to my gynaecologist about all kinds of stuff when I'm there - random stuff, bad stuff, good stuff, sexual stuff, MI stuff, etc. I don't think she takes me less seriously on account of any of those things.

That brings up a point... is there a way for you to see a female? I think it would be less intimidating. Another office? An NP? If you explain to the receptionist that you're uncomfortable with a man, I think they try to work you in with a female. that's been my experience.

When I cut myself (waaaayyyy back when), and someone who didn't need to know noticed and asked, "what happened?" I'd shrug and say, "Ah, I cut myself" in a casual way. They assumed it was an accident or something and didn't ask any other questions. Your gyn may or may not ask further. But my suggestion would be to be as honest as possible with him.

Most people who notice it already know/can be told that I suffer a chronic infection and have had multiple surgeries (well okay, just one surgery, hehe) and I just tell them that they're the "needle tracks" from one too many IV insertions. I have no idea how needle tracks are "supposed" to look like, but most people believe me.

I was inspired towards this idea when both my throat surgery (10/2006) and endoscopy (12/2006) had me both "pre-op" (i.e., IV insertion) prepared by the same nurse, despite the fact I was having the procedures done by two separate hospital systems. Almost needless to say, this particular nurse was terrible at inserting IVs, and I did end up with bruised-up forearms for a few months.

Funny I should stumble across this thread.

Recently, I went through a very messy-head period as I was so low and so frazzled and had no release.

I was at a place where I wanted to lose abstinence from binging/purging (I have a year and a half free), my image was crazy, my outlook was hopeless, felt trapped, and so on.

I've got 30 years of EDs behind me. My struggle is crazy mad; I've been fighting the urge to cut for a loooong time.

So, after a long nightmare that is longer than the above, I found one of my razors (that I've been coveting for a long time) and cut for the first time, at 37, at the upper/inner most portion of my thigh.

Soon after, maybe a week or less, had a gyno visit. I would've explained had she asked; she knows my history as we talk.

My reason for posting, after having empathy, is that it is probably in your best interest to find a gyno that your really like and trust.

As well as all those treating your for everything. ;)

I also had my GP see them today, and he didn't ask. The nurse kinda looked down at my leg and stared, but she didn't ask. I was panicking when he asked me to change into a gown, but thank goodness he didn't say anything.

I'm moving to Minnesota in August for college, so I'm starting all over with new doctors who will only know my history by what I tell them, by what's on the records that are transferred to them. It's going to be a for good move, as my mom is moving up after our lease is up due to my health and the doctor's recommendation. It's going to be difficult starting fresh and having all new doctors know, but meh, thus is like yeah

Archived