CrazyBoards.org

Stopping Prozac after 11 days?

Hi, I started taking prozac on May 21 - at 10 MG once a day

I would like to stop taking it NOW

I cannot get in touch with my doctor or my therapist to find out how to go about this, so I am looking for helpful advice

Since it has only been 11 days & the dose is so low, can I safely just stop taking it & see what happens? I know he said it takes at least 2-4 weeks to fully get in my system & it hasnt been that long yet...........

Please advise, I am freaking out & really do not want to take the medication tomorrow

You would need to call pdoc about how to come off it, most info will say to continue on it until you talk to your doc so you can come off safely ( that's true for any med)

but why is it freeaking you out?

why did you start taking it and what changed that you want to stop?

are you having any reaction to it? or are you not liking the idea of it?

i'm assuming you and your pdoc came to a decision to try it for a reason- those reasons rarely disappear that fast, and it is true that it can take a while to take effect and may even need dose adjusting before you get benefit. It can be a frustrating process that takes patience a lot of us have run out of.

maybe if you talk about why you suddenly want to stop- it will help you to understand better what is going on. we'll be here if you want to talk to us.

I dont want to take it anymore - I've gone through this many years without meds & had convinced myself that I needed it but in reality I don't want to be dependent on it at all & I've spent the last 11 days feeling really uncomfortable each time I took the pill

So I really don't think it's going to get much better & I'd rather get off of them sooner rather than later, when it will be even harder to do

I would really like to just try to get through my issues with the therapy on its own before I give in to taking meds on a daily basis - and I've only been to therapy about 4 times and to the psychiatrist one time - so I dont feel like it's been long enough

I called both of them today to find out how to go about stopping but I cant get either of them since it's the weekend & I hate the idea of taking it for even one more day just because I can't get in touch with someone

UGH

Archived