CrazyBoards.org

Panic Attack

I had a panic attack today. I don't think I have ever really had one before. But it scared the shit out of me today. I was at the gym with dd today. After we worked out, we went to the pool. But I just felt like I wanted to leave. So we when we went to change, I just kept feeling like I had to get out of there and it kept getting worse. But of course I had to wait for dd to finish. She could tell that something was wrong and actually asked me what made me scared. I told her I don't know. I just have to leave now. I went out to the car to wait for her and I felt a little better when I got outside and I called dh to tell him that I think I am having a panic attack. all he had to say was 'I'm not a doctor'. I know he's not a fucking doctor! I just wanted a little sympathy. I know that dh didn't even know what a panic attack was but hell, he could of at least asked. I was even crying before I called him and he didn't even ask what was wrong or what was going on or anything. Which made me feel worse again. Then we started fighting when I got home. I tried calling my doctor but she was busy with a patient. The nurse called me back and said I have an appointment tomorrow. I said I know I will come but I need to talk to her now. She said she would call me back in five minutes half an hour ago. I just tried calling again and her phone is busy. So now I don't know what to do. I don't feel like I need to go to the hospital. But then again, how do you know when you need to go?

Hi Twisted71,

From a long-time anxiety and panic sufferer, my thoughts are with you. The fact that you recognize that what you are having is actually a panic attack, that is more than half of the battle. Painful and uncomfortable yes, but your awareness is very important, as they do pass.

I've gone to hospital after having panic attacks, and they had no clue what to do with me, as all tests were normal. For me, it was never much help with regard to anxiety attacks. Xanax or valium helped me get thru. But the stimulation of hospital er did not help my anxiety.

Obviously, I don't know exactly how you feel, but I have been in many places where I just had to get the heck out. I just realize that is how my brain works, for good or bad ;) . Frustrations with docs and family members, well that is a horse of a different stripe, and I relate! I would walk a thousand miles to be rid of the system (not family, of course).

For me, I can say that each attack I survive, I gain more confidence and I can use the techniques I've learned. I'm still nervous posting, but I hope I've helped some.

Best wishes to you in Qatar,

Leopard

Hi Lepoard,

Yes you did help and thanks for the reply. I have an idea of what maybe triggered it but it has never happened in the same situation before. Yeah, it was kinda scary and I think dd was a little scared too. I am feeling really weak now tho. I did finally get to talk to the doctor at 7 p.m. and she was just on her way out. Even if she would have seen me tonight, it would have taken me an hour at least to get there cuz of traffic. She told me to drink some milk, I'm assuming cuz of the weakness and not to drink caffine. She also wants to give me a prescription but she didn't say what and unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow. Things are just so different here. I don't think they would have any clue what to do with at the ER either. As far as dh goes, I guess I just need to try to talk to him. Cuz I can't keep going through this alone.

Cuz I can't keep going through this alone.

you aren't. even though you can't see us. we get it :)

i'm sorry you had to go through that and be misunderstood so badly at the time.

i'm glad though that dd was there and could recognize you were not okay.

i hope it's a trigger you can work through, or at least figure out how to avoid it ;) .

- rita

Thanks Rita. That's why I love this board so much because I am not alone with you guys here. But it is kinda hard at times when I need dh around. I have been crying off and on since our argument.

I am not completely sure of what the trigger was but I have an idea. I don't if I will be able to avoid it though. What I am afraid of now is not wanting to go to the gym at all because I will be afraid of having another attack. And DD loves to go. Sometimes I go even if I don't feel like it because I know she wants to go. She is trying to be as understanding as she can but it is hard for her too. and yeah, it was good that she could recognize it.

Archived