CrazyBoards.org

Hallucinations/voices after head injury?

I've been previously diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I was fine on my meds. Everything was going great. However, after a head injury, I've starting hearing voices and seeing things again. Is this purely a coincidence or could I have done some actual damage? It's starting to worry me a little. Is this even normal?

I've been previously diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I was fine on my meds. Everything was going great. However, after a head injury, I've starting hearing voices and seeing things again. Is this purely a coincidence or could I have done some actual damage? It's starting to worry me a little. Is this even normal?

Head injuries can cause, or make worse, many neurological symptoms. Whether it's temporary or permanent - you'd need a neurologist to find out (and even then it's not guaranteed).

The fact that you're hearing voices and seeing things again is good enough reason to schedule an appointment soon with your doctor.

• 1 month later...

While it's difficult to determine whether a head injury can cause or contribute to any mental health issues, we believe that TBI did cause our daughter's psychosis. I have to tell you, though, that you will find doctors who will agree that head injury could be the cause and others who won't and it really isn't worth the search, as we've learned. Whatever "caused it" doesn't matter as much as the fact that the problem exists and it needs to be treated. I would urge you to see a doctor for treatment because there is medication out there that will provide you relief.

DD had another concussion (one of many) from a fall last October. After that her "bipolar and pschosis" problems got worse and worse along with terrible headaches. She was finally diagnosed with a pseudotumor (increased pressure in the brain) and had a shunt put in this past March. The difference has been amazing. She has been able to completely get off her antidepressant and is slowly coming off her antipsychotic (painful as it is). Her hallucinations greatly decreased and she hasn't had one in maybe 7 or 8 weeks (with rare exceptions, she normally had some type of hallucination almost every day). Her mood issues are non-existant (although she also hasn't been under any stress since being out of college for the summer). We are cautiously optimistic. Needless to say, there is always a worry that the psychosis is "still there" in some deep dark corner of her brain and could reappear at any time (hence the slow reduction of meds).

I am convinced that brain injuries can damage the brain in ways that are not yet visible through testing. But again, what caused the psychosis doesn't take away from the fact that this needs to be treated (it doesn't go away on its own in most cases).

Take care~

Archived