CrazyBoards.org

Topamax cured my Seizure Disorder?

I was disagnosed w/epilepsi due to a series of tonic clonic (grand mal) seizures when I was 41. Clean MRI's but "abnormal" EEG's resulted in eventually being put on up to 600 mg Topamax for 6 years. Haven't had a seizure since first dose of dilantin at the onset of the disorder. My last "extended" EEG was "normal".

20 months ago I lost my job (and health insurance) and attrited off the Topamax and have been quietly waiting for the seizures to return.

Nothing. No aura's, no trembling... NADA.

I've heard the old wives tale that the longer you are seizure free the better chance you have of remaining seizure free.

Since the disorder ruined my career (pilot) I just figured I was screwed for life.

Now my hopes are up as the FAA will let me fly again if I remain seizure free for four years. Sigh...

Anyone ever hear of the condition going away?

I've seen many Neuro's and none seem very communicative. I take that as a sign they are relying on chicken bones and voodoo.

Yes, actually. Not for everyone, but some people's brains sort of "re-adapt" to working normally after not having any seizures for an extended period of time (generally several years). For the lucky people that does happen for, they can reduce or sometimes even eliminate some or all of their meds over time. Sometimes other lifestyle changes can improve it, too, such as changing or removing things that were triggering the seizures (whether you knew they were or not).

I don't know that it happens enough to be considered common, and I have no statistics on it without digging them up somewhere, but it's certainly not rare, either. My neurologist has mentioned it to me at some point. The general way of dealing with it seems to be to plan for it not to get better but hope that it does. If that's what's happened for you, great. That's pretty much ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, actually. Not for everyone, but some people's brains sort of "re-adapt" to working normally after not having any seizures for an extended period of time (generally several years).

And on another (depressing) note, some experience the "kindling effect" where our brain kind of gets accustumed to having seizures, and that's why they continue to plague us. The seizures sort of clear a pathway for more to come. I had my first simple partial at 40 yrs. old (but I didn't know what was going on at the time...)

You're one of the lucky ones, though! Congrats to you for being seizure-free for so long!

Hopefully the FAA will take into account that you haven't even had an aura and you can return to the work you love.

All the best to you...

Archived