CrazyBoards.org

I was just wandering if anyone had a bad experience on celexa then went to lexapro, i know these are alike, but was just wandering if there is a chance that there won't be the same bad experience. I only ask because i was on the max of celexa because the anxiety was so bad, then i just got manic.

I tried taking Celexa years ago for a few months, and it didn't seem to do anything for me, good or bad. Lexapro supposedly has only the "active" form of the molecule that comes in two different flavors in Celexa (one is the "right-handed" version and the other one "left-handed"; the two forms are like each other's mirror images--but only one actually seems to work).

Later, I ended up trying Lexapro, knowing the above. I didn't expect it to do anything because Celexa didn't do a thing--but the Lexapro actually works.

Anyway, the way I see it, Lexapro should theoretically be more effective, but it's not impossible that Celexa will work for you. It's also possible that Celexa will work for you better than Lexapro. Weird things happen all the time.

Lexapro is supposed to have fewer side effects, but is that the case? Perhaps... I'm a bit skeptical because Lexapro sounds just a little bit like Celexa's patent-extender. I wonder whether the Lexapro clinical studies were as objective as they could've been...

My big issue is that all the SSRI's and SNRI's I've taken pretty much killed my libido, etc., but I've resigned myself to that. Lexapro is no different than the rest for me in that regard.

Good luck deciding...

I just started Lexapro a few weeks ago, after Celexa wasn't helping me. I am only on 10mg right now, though. I don't know if it's going to help or not.

The sex drive and lack of orgasm intensity things are my big issues with the drugs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lexapro made me want to kill myself...okay not literally want to kill myself but I was so depressed, it was terrible and I just wanted the misery to end.

Celexa was good to me while I used except for the fact that it made me fat.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Chris_*

I was just wandering if anyone had a bad experience on celexa then went to lexapro, i know these are alike, but was just wandering if there is a chance that there won't be the same bad experience. I only ask because i was on the max of celexa because the anxiety was so bad, then i just got manic.

Diamondgirl:

I have taken both Celexa and Lexapro. I took a Celexa/Wellbutrin combo for a year. I took Lexapro alone for a year. The Celexa alone and the Celexa/Wellbutrin combo both worked for me. My main diagnosis is GAD with depression. Heavy on the anxiety side. Like I said, the Celexa (20mg) alone and Wellbutrin (150mg) and Celexa together kept that in check, to a degree. When I took the Lexapro, I literally got no benefit. I even upped the dose to 40mg, which is supposed to be a high dose for Lex. Nothing. As you probably know, Lexapro is supposed to be a half isomer of Celexa and thus have fewer side effects. I will say that although I got no antidepressant on the Lex, I did gain ten pounds. Go figure. Everyone is different with these meds. You just have to try and experiment, I guess.

Archived