CrazyBoards.org

I'm new here, and a random internet search brought me to the boards.

I'm not OCD, but here it is on the section of the boards so here I go...

I've always been a skin picker at my fingers/fingertips for as long as I can remember (I'm 21 now). I don't like getting manicures because they have to look at my fingertips and then they clean them up. I'm not sure if it's really my fingertips, but it's definitely the cuticles and the areas around them. While I was waiting for the page to load, I was picking at my cuticles. I remember one instance when I was 10-12 and NYC, I picked at the middle (area) of my middle finger so bad it was cracked and bleeding, not to mention it was December. But back to the manicures - the manicure fixes whatever I've done. Within a day or so, there are new picked areas. I just can't leave it be. My main area of picking is right to the right and left of the cuticles on the pads of the fingers there. If you look straight at a finger you can kind of see it, and if you turn the finger a little bit, you can.

Dermatillomania seems to fit. I keep looking at information about it. I'm seeing a therapist in two days. I'm just waiting for him to tell me it's nothing. I always expect the worst, another habit.

Thanks for reading though...

ZS, I do that too. I've never been dx'd as OCD, but I can't seem to stop myself. I pick and pick at the skin around my nails and my cuticles until they bleed. It looks really gross. I put hand sanitizer on and it hurts like hell, but I do it as a deterrent to picking, but that doesn't work. I'm just waiting for the day when my poor cuticles get infected and I have to go the dr. and they will think i'm disgusting. It's a really bad habit. Every day I bleed. Anyway, just wanted you to know you are not alone. Melissa

I have been diagnosed as ocd and that is certainly one of the things I do, both to my skin and my nails. Lately - its been more my skin as for some reason 2 to 3 years of fake nails has somehow broken me of the nail biting and destroying habit. I do still pick at the sides of my nails (hangnails etc) to the point of bleeding.

Weirdist thing ever? I had an abcess one time on my face the size of a softball. I was actually happy in some respects that it was there. It was like a giant thing to pick at and mess with (to some extent). I have often had dreams of having a giant blemish that just oozes stuff over and over so I could constantly mess with.

Guest sleep2dream

i have that and have been picking my lip and face since i was in 5th grade... constant finger traces looking for raised surfaces... the doc put me on meds which made things worse... now i stoped taking them and i think i have lost my mind... i need behavioral therapy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I pick at my fingers. I also pick at my scalp, which is what's really causing me trouble now. I'm pulling out clumps of hair as I pick the skin off my scalp. My pdoc is adding Ativan to my cocktail. Anyone else use it for this purpose?

Honestly it just sounds like a bad habit to me. If you do it to relieve some anxiety then maybe it is more of a psychological disorder. People who pull their hair or pick at their skin and have a psychological issue of it usually get some pleasure or relief out of doing it. They feel very anxious if they don't do it. If it just annoys you to have hang nails, so you pick at them, then I don't know if it is such a serious issue. Either way, good luck. See what the therapist says.

Maybe getting fake nails will help you too, like the other person. I pick at my cuticles too and I do have OCD. The cuticle picking is not something I see as one of my symptoms. I realized if I get a nice cuticle trimmer and trim back any loose pieces then I am less likely to pick at it. I just hate when a loose piece of skin or nail catches on things.

Honestly it just sounds like a bad habit to me. If you do it to relieve some anxiety then maybe it is more of a psychological disorder. People who pull their hair or pick at their skin and have a psychological issue of it usually get some pleasure or relief out of doing it. They feel very anxious if they don't do it. If it just annoys you to have hang nails, so you pick at them, then I don't know if it is such a serious issue. Either way, good luck. See what the therapist says.

Maybe getting fake nails will help you too, like the other person. I pick at my cuticles too and I do have OCD. The cuticle picking is not something I see as one of my symptoms. I realized if I get a nice cuticle trimmer and trim back any loose pieces then I am less likely to pick at it. I just hate when a loose piece of skin or nail catches on things.

Picking at any sort of "abnormal" part on my body is definately an OCD tick for me. Whether it is my nails, blemishes or whatever. Right now I am having a field day because I got sunburned and am peeling everywhere. Its like a festival.

I guess my main point is that less severe OCD often displays itself in different ways. But just because the rituals are not big or often does not mean OCD is not present. I discussed this with my doc at length when he told me I had OCD and I told him he was crazy because I was not a handwasher or combing the fringe on my oriental rug. That was when he and I discussed that OCD is not all outside obsessing - it can be inside you as well. It may not be as major or life effecting - but it is serious for the person who suffers it - like me.

Archived