CrazyBoards.org

My judgement is so poor that I can't even

There is a board that I frequently visit. It is loosely based on fans of the band the Doors and other some such musical things. If you disagree with the majority regarding anything at all, the whole board turns against you and says the most horrific things they can about you, your post, and everything in between. To make a long story short, I am the one on the hot seat currently for expressing an opinion that got the management upset, along with the sycophants. It's such a ridiculous little thing that it isn't even worth explaining here. (has to do with giving certain posters awards near their avatars) I really ought not to go back there, with my fragile state right now. Am I a sadist? Why do I keep going back? Surely there must be places on the internet that are not so cruel. Like here for instance. Has anyone got any idea why I keep going back there, when it deflates my fragile ego and causes such angst.

I might add that right now I have been enveloped in depression for quite some time. Nothing seems to help. I am hoping my pdoc will give me a chance with effexor, something I know that I have not tried.

Thanks muchly to all of you.

well, coming here and venting about what it feels like to be associated with that other board might be a first step towards distancing yourself from it. i wish i knew why i had such a strong pull to stay in unhealthy relationships. maybe because i know what to expect--it feels familiar--like a known evil might be less scary than an unknown more healthy dynamic would be. if you know what i mean.

This is a good start at understanding this. Yes, it is very famililar and I know all the personalities and players. I guess it is like starting a new relationship and leaving a bad one.

Thanks Snowfly!!!

Ah, having been the most evil of all evils recently in a flame-war (actually started on this board, but NOT by anyone [/b]associated withthe board, just hackers I happen to be vaghuely related to. (UG) I can understand your feelings.

We are all searching for a place to feel safe and accepted and where we can vent or not, securely. Is there isuch a place? I thought so, still think so, even tho it cost me a few days in bed to detrmine that. This is the largest group of kind, accepting, non-threatening people I have ever met on line, and that DEDFINATELY includes 2 church-affiliated groups I was on =-line with.

Now, that being said, I have also learned a lesson, or 2-- Be smart, be annon., clear your computer, be "private" when you can--but most of all, remember that you control your computer, not them. Turn it off, delete, delete, delete, but most of all,,don't answer, and don't let yourself get caught up in the shit.

This is a great place to come--and I am not one to make friends or start relationships easily--because I can really be the grumpy, foul, cheerful, mixed-up, batshit person I really am, and no one gets their panties in a wad about it.

Why do you go back to the evil place? Same reason I had to physically stop myself from getting involved with the redneck idiots who attacked me--you know these people, and its so easy to say, "Now, shut up, thats not it--it really went like this-" and off you go.

I cannot promise that no one here will ever make you feel attacked or unsafe--but I can promise you that if you are depressed and just want us to listen, we will, and if you want to rant and vent, we will listen, and we might make suggestions, and we might vent back. But if it gets ever gets to the point here where you feel unsafe, or that someone has cornered you, please let an administrator know and we will try to stop it. We are here and we have been here for a long time, considering most boards, because we let you say your piece, and we agree, or don't or "yes but" or we offer you sugggestions--but its a safe place, and for most of us, it feels good to be among people who understand us, in one way or another. If you're crazy, you're home, honey--

china

I know I go back to situations like that - online - because I hope for two things. One, that hopefully *someone* on that board will stand either with me or for me against everyone else and it will solidify my faith in humanity. Two, that these people will stop being so hateful/such idiots and the flame war will stop and things will go back to the way they were before the stupidity started.

But I'm just strange that way. I know that people are especially cruel online due to the anonymity. They say things that they would never say to your face. And I'm sorry that you're bearing the brunt of it. As chinacat said, you can also control what you see too. You don't have to read it.

;):) You mentioned that you've been depressed... Could it be that you're seeking reinforcement of negative thoughts you already have? Say there's a thought floating around in the back of your head... "I'm lower than dirt" or somesuch and you go online to see "You're so stupid." Then that nasty little voice will whisper, "See? what did I tell you?" Perhaps you think you deserve whatever it is they're dishing out.

You don't. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of stupidity. Even if they started it. :)

Think about it:

It's such a ridiculous little thing that it isn't even worth explaining here. (has to do with giving certain posters awards near their avatars)

And they're all worked up about that! I think they're the ones with poor judgment...

I know I go back to situations like that - online - because I hope for two things. One, that hopefully *someone* on that board will stand either with me or for me against everyone else and it will solidify my faith in humanity. Two, that these people will stop being so hateful/such idiots and the flame war will stop and things will go back to the way they were before the stupidity started.

But I'm just strange that way. I know that people are especially cruel online due to the anonymity. They say things that they would never say to your face. And I'm sorry that you're bearing the brunt of it. As chinacat said, you can also control what you see too. You don't have to read it.

;):) You mentioned that you've been depressed... Could it be that you're seeking reinforcement of negative thoughts you already have? Say there's a thought floating around in the back of your head... "I'm lower than dirt" or somesuch and you go online to see "You're so stupid." Then that nasty little voice will whisper, "See? what did I tell you?" Perhaps you think you deserve whatever it is they're dishing out.

You don't. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of stupidity. Even if they started it. :)

Think about it:

It's such a ridiculous little thing that it isn't even worth explaining here. (has to do with giving certain posters awards near their avatars)

And they're all worked up about that! I think they're the ones with poor judgment...

Thank you. I know that I can be provocative and I don't do well at being a "yes" person. Right now, with the depression I am in, and the awful way it is making me feel, staying away from the computer for a bit is the best way for me. Yes, I am crazy, and happy to be here with ya'll. I haven't noticed getting any better with Pristiq but it has only been 4 days and these things take a few weeks to work. I am worried about what happens if Pristiq doesn't work. I am 54 and have been taking bipolar meds since my late 30's. I am worried about what will happen if I run out of alternative meds because it doesn't feel very good to be this depressed, nor is it good for my husband and teenage son. I know my husband loves me, knows all about bipolar disorder and he is the light of my life, as well as my son. I am rambling a bit, but one doctor told me that bipolar gets worse as you get older. I hope this isn't a self fullfilling prophecy. I want to get a grip, but the depression is just there, and I can't will it away. I don't want to be a burden, either. I have lost my appetite, but that's okay for now, because I had been overweight for awhile. I am not much of a homemaker right now. My husband went with me to the food store because I just couldn't get going. It is hard to do a food shop when you don't feel hungry, even a bit nauseated from medication. I am going to stick with Pristiq absolutely until I know it isn't helping me. I pray for relief from this awful mental state that I find myself in.

. To make a long story short, I am the one on the hot seat currently for expressing an opinion that got the management upset, along with the sycophants. It's such a ridiculous little thing that it isn't even worth explaining here. (has to do with giving certain posters awards near their avatars) I really ought not to go back there, with my fragile state right now. Am I a sadist? Why do I keep going back? Surely there must be places on the internet that are not so cruel. Like here for instance. Has anyone got any idea why I keep going back there, when it deflates my fragile ego and causes such angst.

The Secret Cause of Flamewars

According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

"That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

http://xkcd.com/386/

duty_calls.png

This image has been posted elsewhen on this board... but extra appropriate to your "Why do I keep going back?" is the ttitle "Duty Calls" and the subtitle "What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!"

So relax, everyone's judgement is _that_ poor. In fact, You're two large steps ahead of the crowd... you at least realise your judgement is poor! ;)

. To make a long story short, I am the one on the hot seat currently for expressing an opinion that got the management upset, along with the sycophants. It's such a ridiculous little thing that it isn't even worth explaining here. (has to do with giving certain posters awards near their avatars) I really ought not to go back there, with my fragile state right now. Am I a sadist? Why do I keep going back? Surely there must be places on the internet that are not so cruel. Like here for instance. Has anyone got any idea why I keep going back there, when it deflates my fragile ego and causes such angst.

[link=http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/02/70179" target="_blank]The Secret Cause of Flamewars[/link]

According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

"That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

[link=http://xkcd.com/386/"'>http://xkcd.com/386/" target="_blank]http://xkcd.com/386/[/link]

duty_calls.png

This image has been posted elsewhen on this board... but extra appropriate to your "Why do I keep going back?" is the ttitle "Duty Calls" and the subtitle "What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!"

So relax, everyone's judgement is _that_ poor. In fact, You're two large steps ahead of the crowd... you at least realise your judgement is poor! ;)

Cute Cartoon, and oh so true!!!

Archived