CrazyBoards.org

Regular as a Clock

I have known for a very long time that between 4PM and 6PM is "BAD TIME" for me--I can set my clock by it. I have discussed this with both pdoc and tdoc and neither seems to know why (or really care, for that matter).

If I can head it off with the mid-afternoon Adderall, Tegretol and Klonopin, I'm OK, but usually, I don't realize its "thats time" till the sky begins to fall. I do not understand why my body clock is so fucked up--but amazingly regular, and has been for some years. And I can think of no way to adjust for this, except notes all over the house saying "Take meds at 2 PM or 3PM or whatever" Eating (or not) does not seem to make a difference, as does sleep, or anything else I can figure. Sometimes the meds will catch it in time, other times, its like "Meds? I LAUGH at your meds!" and down I go.

Is this just me? Does anybody else crash like the Hindenburg at a certain time every single fucking fay of your life?

Some days the crashes are a little less than others, but its always "elevator going down" and by 5PM its major anxiety and depression time. Usually get better in the early evening, and go to bed early-ish.. mostly OK, sometimes stil depressed.

AM, I am the mot productive, cheerful, level, stable, (not manic, but just stable) person on earth--ALWAYS have been this way.

This makes no sense, never has, just wondering if I am all alone with my batshit circadian rhythyms.

china, at the deathly time of almost 4 PM--LOOK OUT!! the CRASH is coming!!!!

China,

I would trade

my 0300 freakout

for an earlier hour,

no,which earlier?

Time is where you are.

Klonopin is where

you are going,

not just you,

my China,

I love the stuff,

HMMM bartender slide a bottle of klonopin down here,

not that lousy tasting generic.

I don't know,

PM or AM

not both,please,

6mg for each one is too much.

Does risperdal add to wierdness?

Stasis,tending to Soapbox today

Not every day, but almost every day around 2 o'clock I get depressed/anxious. It's last for a couple of hours, fade away and then come back as I'm getting ready for bed, trying to sleep. I'm not on any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds at the moment, so it really sucks.

Sometimes I'm depressed/anxious all day with no breaks.

Hi China,

Yes it happens. Depression gets better at the end of the day for some, and worse for others. People become depressed like clockwork during certain seasons and I think many suffer in the morning and get better as the day wears on. When depressed I wake up like clockwork at two am, then three am, then four etc.... I don't even have to look at the clock.

Lachesis

Its definately not a yearly/seasonal thing, like SAD--rain or shine, summer or winter, if I live in the mountains or at the sea--never changes.

Caught it today, a bit, by gulping appropriate meds at about 4 PM. But still keep wondering why--or is it just the ole circadian rhythm. My hubby is a night soul, I am NOT--so maybe its just in the jeans--or genes.

china, heading for the sofa

China, I find it interesting that people who have dementia or Alzheimer's also suffer from a similar thing---they call it "sundowning." The patient may have been calm and happy all day, but late in the afternoon he gets agitated, confused and combative.

Now, I'm NOT saying that you have dementia at all, but sundowning is a common thing. If you google that term, maybe you will come up with some information about what happens to you.

olga

i've been getting depressed at night despite being fine during the day for over a year now. My old pdoc always asked "why do you think that is?" and I never had an answer. She seemed to think it was the time when I had a chance to ruminate, but I don't think thats it.

I get this too. I'm more of a late afternoon sort of person - 5:00 - 7:30ish. I get sluggish, negative, and sometimes weepy. Same thing happens when it's overcast - without even looking out a window, I can wake up and know that it's raining just by how I feel. My pdoc said that it was common with BP and MDD-recurrent patients.

Oh, I know all too well about "sundowning"--but thjat usualy begins to occur as the dementia begins--mine has been that way forever. Goddess knows what will happen when I DO beging to have dementia--I weill be running the streets nekkid, or whatever!

I don't think it has anything to do with "ruminating" on my problems or errors or disappointments--it just comes.

I got some time release adderall (shh---don't tell--) seems to be better for me. buit of course its not generic, so can't afford it right now.

Stay tuned for that ==can't be too gfar away, I actually applied at Wal=-Mart today and listed "greeter" as one of my choices. Life as I know it is over--but boy, what a cheery greeter I will be!! Stay tuned--

china--Old and in the way

I recently had a pdoc consult where she told me that BP people often have messed up circadian rhythms, and that the amount of light and dark can have a big impact.

do you wake up and take meds at the same time every day? I will often get really tired and desperate for a nap in the late afternoon, but then I'll get a second wind.

Whatever it is, I hope you find something that will help you to feel a little better.

Hey, China,

Is there any way you could use that time of day for a nap and just sleep through it?

I don't know what it is, but babies do it too. Why is it they're always fussy and inconsolable right at the time you're trying to fix dinner? There is some kind of late afternoon lull for many people. Maybe you're just more sensitive to it than most people. Hey! You could move to Spain and take a siesta every day.

Oh, don't I wish!! I had a nap today, from about 2-4, off and on, cause I was trying to re-install my scanner on hubby's computer and discovered once I got down with my knees bent, I couldn't get up--at alll. And I have no strength in my arms or legs right now, which appropriately freaked me out, so I took a nap. Called hubby, freaked, he said I should just go to ER if I thought I was "having a stroke or something". I hung up.

Anyway, the napping helps, but thats not possible most days--sigh--

china the clumsy and stupid (today at least)

There was something out a while ago on similarities between alzheimer's and bipolar. Here is part (it wants you to register for the rest): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/495795_4

I have a similar pattern though not as consistent or dramatic. I will often have a "mood swing" where I start experiencing problems in the afternoon, for several days in a row.

Archived