CrazyBoards.org

Newsweek: Growing Up Bipolar

http://www.newsweek.com/id/137517

Max Blake was 7 the first time he tried to kill himself. He wrote a four-page will bequeathing his toys to his friends and jumped out his ground-floor bedroom window, falling six feet into his backyard, bruised but in one piece. Children don't really know what death is, as the last page of Max's will made clear: "If I'm still alive when I have grandchildren," it began. But they know what unhappiness is and what it means to suffer.

I just...I know, really, the focus of this piece is on bipolar kids. But I feel it just really misrepresents bp as a whole. I mean:

By 7

I wasn't a big fan of the cover image: a face split into two shows a very superficial and erroneous understanding of the illness. It's not split-personality disorder, but I bet a lot of people in the grocery store check-out line read it as that.

I felt that it was one of those unnecessarily long articles. I wanted to give up reading it, but I felt bad because of the whole bipolar thing... I don't know, like I would be insulting my kind by not finishing it. But it was just really long and could have been edited down a lot, content aside...

"Max couldn't tolerate normal volumes of speech" "Richie carried his son to the backyard and tried to put him down, but Max shrank back in his father's arms; he hated the feel of the grass beneath his small bare feet. Amy gave Max a bath and turned on the exhaust fan; he put his hands over his ears and screamed. At 13 months, he lined up dozens of Hot Wheels in the same direction, and when Amy nudged one out of order, he shrieked"

Well that could easily describe another disorder I'm thinking of but whatever...(I spy with my little eye... something beginning with "A"..?)

You know, I had that exact same thought. Pity a professional pdoc (or two) apparently never brought it up...

I'm just glad the other judges didn't see me twitching while i read the article (I read it during the primary, I had several magazines saved and this was one)

Archived