CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if I am having side effects or what.

I have been on Wellbutrin, Risperdal and Ambien CR for a long time.

About a month ago I began having this what I think is called a 'foggy brain'. My memory is a little off/not there, and I feel like in a fog and stuff.

Could this be from meds? If so why would it happen after being on them for so long? Or could it be sky high anxiety?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

-J

I'm no expert, but it could be a lot of things...

Are you getting enough sleep? That can whack your brain out. And I just blanked on everything else I was going to say. ;) Sorry...

\

Thanks for responding!

Actually I get a good amount of sleep. I take Ambien CR at night. I also forgot to add that I take Lo dose birth control pills. :)

I get at least 7 hours sleep per night. Average 9 hours!

If you are having an increase in anxiety, it could be the culprit. But I would think that would be more likely to cause distractibility over fogginess. Though if your brain is highly taxed, it can get "tired out".

It could also be from your meds, yes. Have you raised the dose at all, changed the time you take them, or started taking anything over the counter?

On the other hand it could be something totally unrelated.

If it's noticeable and effecting your life, it is important to bring it up with a doctor. And make them LISTEN. Make a list of examples where you have definately noticed it effecting you and bring that with you. Have you noticed any other cognitive issues? [Or physical ones?] Anything more specific?

I don't know, really... it can honestly be a number of things. In life, there are so many confounding variables, that it is hard to keep track of everything.

Ok... so you have been on the meds for a while now and have had no side effects... until what you are talking about now...

Well, you mentioned anxiety. Have you been overly anxious? Or maybe has something in you life changed in the last month? Ummm... do you maybe have allergies? I see that you say you live in NY... pollen and stuff have been reeking havoc all over NY, visible pollen and all. Possible? I don't know... just thought I'd through that out there....

If you are having an increase in anxiety, it could be the culprit. But I would think that would be more likely to cause distractibility over fogginess. Though if your brain is highly taxed, it can get "tired out".

It could also be from your meds, yes. Have you raised the dose at all, changed the time you take them, or started taking anything over the counter?

On the other hand it could be something totally unrelated.

If it's noticeable and effecting your life, it is important to bring it up with a doctor. And make them LISTEN. Make a list of examples where you have definately noticed it effecting you and bring that with you. Have you noticed any other cognitive issues? [Or physical ones?] Anything more specific?

I have not raised the dose of my meds, changed the times, or am taking anything over the counter.

I have slight headaches...or that could be from me holding my jaw tightly closed (which is a known side effect of risperdal)

nothing else i can think of.

i am going to go to the doctor to see what the matter is but not till next week.

I don't know, really... it can honestly be a number of things. In life, there are so many confounding variables, that it is hard to keep track of everything.

Ok... so you have been on the meds for a while now and have had no side effects... until what you are talking about now...

Well, you mentioned anxiety. Have you been overly anxious? Or maybe has something in you life changed in the last month? Ummm... do you maybe have allergies? I see that you say you live in NY... pollen and stuff have been reeking havoc all over NY, visible pollen and all. Possible? I don't know... just thought I'd through that out there....

My anxiety has been up. My bird died last month. I got a cold after she died and then got the symptoms I have now.

I do not have allergies (not that I know of).

I live in NYC. Nice time of year weather-wise.

Pleased to meet you, by the way!

My anxiety has been up. My bird died last month.

I'm sorry to hear about your bird. I just recently lost my dog of 13 years, so I understand the feeling of loss...

I got a cold after she died and then got the symptoms I have now.

It is possible that it could still be the aftermath of your cold... you know, just some lingering crap. I mentioned some of the things I did because I noticed that your profile said that you are from NYC and I am from right outside, so we experience similar weather. Anyway, we have been experiencing interesting temperature changes recently. When temperatures keep fluctuating, many people's immune defenses go down. Therefore, having a some symptoms of a bad cold sort of linger might not be a far-fetched idea (of course, if you were me, and had an immune deficiency issue... well, that is a whole different story!). So, anyway, yeah... that is why I mentioned that.

I mentioned allergies for a similar reason as what I just explained above. My allergies have been acting up really bad lately. I also know of some people who apparently do not have allergies, but seem to be effected by the weather we are having. Sometimes I guess if there is just an immense amount of pollen, it can just get to *anyone* whether you have allergies or not... I don't know... I'm not a doctor... I am just merely trying to make suggestions as to possibilities that can be causing these symptoms. Maybe you should try getting an allergy test as well. I mean, I did not develop my allergies or asthma until I was in 11th grade... it can happen any time (not to sound scary... that sort of sounded creepy).

Can you think of *anything* else in your life that has changed? New products you are using? Something at work? Spending time in different types of light than you were before? I don't know... anything?

Same here! ;)

My anxiety has been up. My bird died last month.

I'm sorry to hear about your bird. I just recently lost my dog of 13 years, so I understand the feeling of loss...

I got a cold after she died and then got the symptoms I have now.

It is possible that it could still be the aftermath of your cold... you know, just some lingering crap. I mentioned some of the things I did because I noticed that your profile said that you are from NYC and I am from right outside, so we experience similar weather. Anyway, we have been experiencing interesting temperature changes recently. When temperatures keep fluctuating, many people's immune defenses go down. Therefore, having a some symptoms of a bad cold sort of linger might not be a far-fetched idea (of course, if you were me, and had an immune deficiency issue... well, that is a whole different story!). So, anyway, yeah... that is why I mentioned that.

I mentioned allergies for a similar reason as what I just explained above. My allergies have been acting up really bad lately. I also know of some people who apparently do not have allergies, but seem to be effected by the weather we are having. Sometimes I guess if there is just an immense amount of pollen, it can just get to *anyone* whether you have allergies or not... I don't know... I'm not a doctor... I am just merely trying to make suggestions as to possibilities that can be causing these symptoms. Maybe you should try getting an allergy test as well. I mean, I did not develop my allergies or asthma until I was in 11th grade... it can happen any time (not to sound scary... that sort of sounded creepy).

Can you think of *anything* else in your life that has changed? New products you are using? Something at work? Spending time in different types of light than you were before? I don't know... anything?

Same here! ;)

Thanks for the info about allergies. I will look into testing when I see my MD.

No new products or anything of that sort. I am a stay at home wife, so no work stuff...

Thanks for the info about possibilities of a lingering cold issue. Maybe that is what has happened to me.

:)

Ambien screwed with my memory/brain speed for solving problems and other things, and I don't mean just when I took it at night, which is normal. I mean the entire day after. It's one of the reasons why I really dislike Ambien. I've never taken Ambien CR. I was on regular Ambien off and on for years. I think the longest I went without a break was over a year, but not two years. Is there anyway you can see whether it's the ambien or not?

Ambien screwed with my memory/brain speed for solving problems and other things, and I don't mean just when I took it at night, which is normal. I mean the entire day after. It's one of the reasons why I really dislike Ambien. I've never taken Ambien CR. I was on regular Ambien off and on for years. I think the longest I went without a break was over a year, but not two years. Is there anyway you can see whether it's the ambien or not?

I have been on Ambien for about 5-6 years and never have had problems in the past. Maybe it is the Ambien all of a sudden....??? ;)

I will mention it to the doctor Monday...all of my meds and all.

I guess I'll give an update when I find out. :::::keeping fingers crossed::::

Hi there,

Could the foggy mind be a depressive symptom? You lost your bird, get a cold, and then feel foggy? Maybe your having a little depressive mood in reaction to losing your pet. I get an uncooperative mind when I'm depressed. I don't process things quickly.

Hope you feel better.

Oreo

Hi,

I would just like to chime in to agree with Tinneas with regard to ambien. I've posted some on the sleep disorder forum about it's effects on me. Threw me into a wicked depression and my mind was shredded during the day, also.

I would prefer no sleep to what ambien would do to me. They say it is short acting, but I wonder about that assessment. It definitely changed me for the worse.

Leopard

Hi there,

Could the foggy mind be a depressive symptom? You lost your bird, get a cold, and then feel foggy? Maybe your having a little depressive mood in reaction to losing your pet. I get an uncooperative mind when I'm depressed. I don't process things quickly.

Hope you feel better.

Oreo

Maybe it could be that somewhat...but it shouldn't have lasted this long, especially since I am on meds that are supposed to help with these things...?

Hi,

I would just like to chime in to agree with Tinneas with regard to ambien. I've posted some on the sleep disorder forum about it's effects on me. Threw me into a wicked depression and my mind was shredded during the day, also.

I would prefer no sleep to what ambien would do to me. They say it is short acting, but I wonder about that assessment. It definitely changed me for the worse.

Leopard

I could see what you mean about the Ambien, but would it do this all of a sudden after taking it for over 5 years???

Hmmmm... ;)

Hi again!

Not good with copy/pasting quotes, but after five or six years on ambien, for me, I think there would definitely be cognitive problems. Your brain may not work like mine, but this drug is a hypnotic.

When I was on ambien, I was doing volunteer work at a hospital. Not only did it exacerbate my depression, but it made mundane tasks very difficult for me to wrap my mind around. A double whammy. Functioning was difficult.

Maybe it's worth asking your doc about another sleep med? I didn't realize the problems it was causing till I quit taking it.

Best of luck at your upcoming appt. and I'd be interested to see what your doc says! I just am not sure ambien is good for long term use, no matter how much they advertise otherwise.

Leopard

Hi again!

Not good with copy/pasting quotes, but after five or six years on ambien, for me, I think there would definitely be cognitive problems. Your brain may not work like mine, but this drug is a hypnotic.

When I was on ambien, I was doing volunteer work at a hospital. Not only did it exacerbate my depression, but it made mundane tasks very difficult for me to wrap my mind around. A double whammy. Functioning was difficult.

Maybe it's worth asking your doc about another sleep med? I didn't realize the problems it was causing till I quit taking it.

Best of luck at your upcoming appt. and I'd be interested to see what your doc says! I just am not sure ambien is good for long term use, no matter how much they advertise otherwise.

Leopard

My Dr. appointment got rescheduled for Thursday. So that will be the day I go.

I am coming off the Ambien. Last night I did not take a pill.

Today I am still having the problems.

It is like a slight dizziness with the fogginess.

Hopefully coming off the Ambien won't be too difficult for me.

Just a lil update:

Well today I saw the doctor.

She did blood tests. I will find out the results on Monday.

She mentioned that it could also be anxiety.

We'll see!

Well here is the update I promised:

The doctor did blood work. Everything came out fine. She mentioned anxiety.

I still have the symptoms. I am going to ask my doc for a change in medication next week. I hope to feel better soon!

Hi!

Was wondering how you made out with all your tests and appointments! Glad the tests were normal. Just a bit curious to know how you are making out without the ambien and how you feel? Did you decide to stay on or off it? All the best to you.

Leopard

Archived