CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  

my pdoc consult recommended taking fish oil.

my tdoc takes it herself cause she's into the health stuff. she uses a brand that one of the researchers in this area says has the right combo.

so i just placed my first order.

i'm hoping someone here can tell me how it was helpful to them.

they say rarely people have gi distress- my luck it will probably happen to me.

they say it should arrive in 2-4 days.

i hope its worth it to start taking at least 3 more pills a day.

Edited by mrsloony

hi mrs loony,

are you going to be taking the capsules full of liquid? (i assume you are because i can't think of any other way it comes. well, other than fish.)

i know that those fish oils are super healthy so i say go for it. it can only make you feel better. (unless of course it doesn't - on crazyboards you kind of have to give that caveat i guess).

i found that the fish burps kind of got to me after a while and i stopped taking it.

grouse.

they say this kind doesn't cause the burps but i dreamt last night that they did. ( and all i've done is order them!!)

they say others have the taste/smell because the oil is rancid and they claim it isn't with these.

The brand I take, Nordic Naturals, does not have those fishy burps/taste. My mother used to make me take cod liver oil capsules when I was younger, so I totally understand your fear of the fishy burps/taste! Once a cod liver oil capsule burst in my mouth. Lets just say I was totally traumatized, lol.

What kind are you getting? I've found them really helpful and I'd recommend them to anyone.

I ordered omegabrite.

i've heard of the nordic naturals too.

omg T- that would for sure be traumatizing!! did you ever eat fish again??

i'm trying to convince hubby to take them with me. he could definately benefit from all the cardiovascular help. i guess he benefits either way- i'm sure his blood pressure would be a lot more stable if my moods were- haha.

It took me awhile to eat any sort of fish. Now I eat fish, but it's still not my favorite food ;P I think the worst part of it was that I had to keep on taking cod liver oil even after that =( I've also had a vitamin E capsule burst in my mouth. Nowhere NEAR as bad. No clue why I have such bad luck with those capsules, lol.

You can always tell your husband they help with hair, heh. That might get him to take it. I actually think it is helping with my hair, but that could just be a total coincidence.

Guest AnnaKarina

Hello,

Just a quick note in response (a first for me actually) to your fish oil experiment...

I have been taking around 6000mg of fish oil a day for around 3 months and, forgive for being so dramatic, it has absolutely shifted my brain function around unlike anything I have ever tried before. 2 mths after I began taking it I managed to cast off an eating disorder (a symptom of depression I believe) I have been battling tooth and nail against for 13 years (I have been absolutely clear for 5 weeks now- a first since the behavior began). Whilst there are obviously other factors which have assisted this (getting older, more confident etc) I had actually been going through a very low period in the months leading up to this point. For some reason I now seem to have the ability to think more clearly in moments of stress (where I would usually turn to food), take a step back, assess the situation and then make logical moves to reduce that stress. It's very odd, but I really do think the fish oil has had something to do with it (it is the only definitive changing factor in my life that I can see).

So please do give it a go- at least for a few months. It may be that your brain functions completely differently to mine (for your sake I would hope!) and so it may not have the same effect, but it really can't hurt to try anyway.

Best to go for a brand from a health food store I'd say- the problem with the farmed fish (and I suspect many brands of fish oil which are made from that fish) which make up a sizable proportion of what ends up on our plates (here in Australia anyway) is that they have far less of the Omega 3 essential goodies (EPA/DHA) and more toxins like mercury. (I find it fascinating that contemporary diets contain far less EPA/DHA than in our grandparents day, and there appears to be a far higher incidence of increasingly debilitating depression- that's what my doctor told me anyway!)

Best of luck with it all,

AK

Guest Anna Karina

Oh, I almost forgot- exercise is a HUGE help too!

I'm a stupidly busy (and quite lazy) person but have been trying to get my legs moving for at least 20-30mins a day- for me that means riding my bicycle to where I need to go (and not really breaking much of a sweat admittedly!) and trying to just be outside and get a little sunshine.

Probably just as important for mood as the bloody fish oil!

Good Luck!!! I hope it works for you because it didn't do anything for me. Everyone's different though.

Is there an RDA for fish oil? I'm taking 1200mg/ day from a company called Origin (got it at Target) and it seems to be working on my joint pain to some extent

funny you bumped this up today. i just got it and am deciding if i should start it today.

does anyone ever get side effect like intestinal ones when they first start? that the only thing making me nervous.

i've heard talk about the right "ratios" of fish oil in different brands.

I'm interested in seeing where this thread goes. My 8yo absolutely refuses the children's vitamin's, and although he can swallow pills, the adult ones are too strong. So, the ped recommended Nordic Naturals. I was concerned about the fish burps... man, if he had one, I'd never get another down him again.

Only thing that really got me... the bottle is 180 capsules... he's supposed to take anywhere from 4-8 per day? I don't know if I can get him to do that.

FWIW. I found this on the net:

Omega 3 Fatty Acid - Not needed if you take 8 oz of fish a week. Otherwise 2,000-3,000 mg of fish oil (each 1000 mg to contain 360 mg EPA and 240 mg DHA) may be considered. Most people taking fish oil have a tendency to develop a fishy " burp". Over 60 research studies ( most using 3,000 of fish oil a day) have shown that a variety of ailments from arthritis to heart disease can benefit from fish oil (not cod live oil which contains high dose of Vit A and D which is toxic). 400 I.U. of Vitamin E should be taken simultaneously to potentiate the effect of fish oil.

Another site said 2000 mg/day

rabbit-

they make a liquid for kids ( probably sweet flavored) i think you can mix it in a drink too- might help with the multiple pill thing.

i'm sure you've probably researched all this but recently i saw children's vitamins in gummi form. i've seen them in gumballs too. i'm thinking of trying those gummi's myself!

edit- forgot to say that I started taking them today! I decided to take one today, 2 tomorrow , then 3 on fri.

Edited by mrsloony

Guest AK

Hiya,

A trick which might be useful- I keep my fish oil capsules in the fridge- seems to stop the fishy reflux thing. Also taking them when eating is a good idea.

And yes, my doctor recommended also taking a multivitamin when on fish oil as well. All good brain food!

Best of luck,

AK

I'll have to check out the liquids, although again, could be a problem, as he's stubborn and may not finish the drink. I'll look again, but last I checked, the gummies only had a few vitamins listed. I really want a more complete, essential vitamin for him, he's so picky, and so thin, I don't think he gets enough nutrition. I do my best to make sure he doesn't eat junk food, but that doesn't mean he gets a balanced meal. I'll check again, tho.

My Pdoc told me to start taking fish oil. He was very specific about the type and amount, and said that I needed 1500 mg of EPA (one of the components in fish oil supplements) every day. I had to read a TON of labels on a TON of bottles to find one brand that has 500 mg EPA per pill. The kind you can get cheap at Costco only have 180 per pill, I think, and that's way too much math and way too many pills to take. The kind I take are made by a company called Now.

The doc also said it can take 3 months to see a difference. I'm on month 2 now. Jury is still out, but for sure it can't hurt. And thank god, I do not burp like a seal or anything.