CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone I'm new here. I've been reading through some threads and decided to join. A few years ago a friend suggested that I may have ADD but I laughed it off cause I always thought ADD went hand in hand with hyperactivity. Obviously there is ADD without it but I really don't know that much about it really.

Today I began to try to pinpoint the major reason why my daily life is a struggle to get things done, to focus, to finish things, and to remember things. I'm a mom and so I thought I would have my sh*t together by now. I daydream too much, all the time, and I honestly thought it would stop after I had my baby, and that I would lock in on "reality" and get myself in gear. I get obsessively focused over new things sometimes, and so another reason why I never thought I could have ADD. But today after really taking the time to learn about it I am a bit shocked at how so many symptoms describe me and what I go through on a daily basis.

I try so hard to get myself into routines to get housework done and I go into short phases of doing stuff before I get so fed up of the routine and it becomes a monumental task to start anything. My memory is terrible and my husband looks confused when I can't remember things I've done, or said, or even eaten LOL.

Anyways, I am now planning on making an appointment on monday to speak with my GP about the possibility of having ADD, but I'm a bit embarrassed as I'm a mom. Is that something many feel, especially being a parent? I always associated ADD with hyperactive children.

My mother has ADD, so I can offer you a child's perspective on having an inattentive and sometimes neglectful parent. Her ADD went undiagnosed for most of my life. I grew up thinking that my mom was simply not interested in listening to me or taking care of me, and of course I thought it was because I was "bad".

It's good that you've identified your problem. My main suggestion is that you communicate to your children as soon as they are able to understand, that your inattention and forgetfulness is not their fault! It will be to your children's benefit if you raise them to be self-sufficient and independent, so that they don't have to depend on you for much. And love, love, love. Let them know they are special!

::waves hand:::

I didn't figure out until a couple of months ago that my inability to concentrate, inability to complete projects, being easily distracted, etc.... was because of ADD (Inattentive subtype).

It never interfered with my ability to parent. It does, however, make cleaning and cooking very interesting at times ;)

Thanks for your feedback. MadGenius I appreciate your perspective as the child of an ADD parent. Wifezilla, yes cleaning and cooking are my biggest pitfalls as well, especially since I can't get myself organized enough to run everything smoothly without it turning into a anxiety-ridden nightmare. lol

It's nothing to be embarrassed about. Some people are just wired like this, and it frequently continues into adulthood. Yes, some people are hyperactive, but many others are just inattentive. Coming to the realization you have this problem and doing something about it is a big step in getting your stuff together, so don't worry about it. I am the ADD mom of an ADD kid, and I think it has actually helped me to be a better mom to him because I understand how it is and can help him deal with it. All the symptoms you describe (including the hyperfocus with new (i.e. high stimulus) things could fit with an ADD dx, so I'd definitely talk to someone about it as soon as you can. I've found it an enormous relief to be able to do something about this problem (dx'ed in my early twenties).

Archived