CrazyBoards.org

lost my last appeal with administrative judge. lawyer is filing an appeal with the final authority. anyone had theirs go this far? what are my chances? if I do lose can I reapply again?

i really thought that we had it this time the judge seemed so understanding and really seemed to listen to me.

anybody have any input?

thanx brian

How many times have you tried to get it? After I turned 18, I had to file (before that, I was getting it from my dad's SS), and I got turned down. I was told this is normal, so as to weed out phonies (but it's still stupid, when someone deserves it). I got it on the appeal.

I wish you good luck.

How many times have you tried to get it? After I turned 18, I had to file (before that, I was getting it from my dad's SS), and I got turned down. I was told this is normal, so as to weed out phonies (but it's still stupid, when someone deserves it). I got it on the appeal.

I wish you good luck.

this was my first time ie:initial filing,reconsideration,administrative judge(with lawyer) and now the final appeal.

I don't understand the logiic of the judge. I have a college degree and wasa making 35k a year before the bp monster got me. I'm only 47 so why would I want to scam the govt for poverty level subsistence unless there was a problem here.duh!

anyone?

I don't understand the logiic of the judge. I have a college degree and wasa making 35k a year before the bp monster got me. I'm only 47 so why would I want to scam the govt for poverty level subsistence unless there was a problem here.duh!

anyone?

Well, what they're really looking at isn't "can you do what you were doing before" but, can you do anything productive. See http://www.crazymeds.us/ssdi.html :

One has to "prove" to the Social Security that they cannot perform ANY substantially gainful, competitive employment that exists in the nation's economy. Think of the most simple jobs that exist---sorting socks at a conveyor belt, working as a parking attendant, stuffing dolls, etc. The fact that no job exists in your area is irrelevant---you have to prove that even with medication, your condition renders you incompetent of working.

The judge's logic was probably that there wasn't enough proof that you couldn't yet find a way to support yourself.

When my fiancee got SSI we were able to show that of all the jobs she'd had, none of them had lasted, most of them had been suppoerted (i.e. voc rehab) and often she was "let go" for cause. We showed that due to her various problems she would NOT ever likely be able to hold down any sort of gainful employment.

You need to show that, for at least one year, you can't hold down a job as a burger flipper or a telemarketer or a gardener or whatever. I have no clue what facts you brought the judge but it seems you didn't bring enough--I hope your case survives the final appeal, but when they go that far, I just don't know.

I don't know about your situation. When I applied it was pretty obvious that I couldn't support myself. The jobs that I *had* held were part time and had been years ago. The info we gave them included a complete health history, including every test and examination that I have had done, every ER visit, important doctor visit, ailment, every medication I've been on and the reasons they didn't work as well as complete letters describing my current condition from all my doctors.

But that is all things that everyone should have. Better to have what you think is too much information than not enough. So if you think there is a hospital visit, a test, a notable doctor visit you haven't documented, make sure you have it down.

This is probably all stuff you know. But I would go through what you have turned into them and just see if there is anything you could possibly add on.

I got ssdi first try, the fact that I had 20+ doctors and other professionals who said that I had long term health issues, probably made it near futile for them to deny it. Best of luck.

;):)

I had an aunt whose daughter, who has cerebral palsy, has the mental state of a baby (probably about a year old or less), wears diapers and can't walk or talk, was denied SSDI years ago. I think her mother actually took her into the SS office and showed them the girl. SS can be really stupid sometimes.

I think her mother actually took her into the SS office and showed them the girl.

And why not? It 's FAR better for the intake-type person to see the applicant.

And "years ago" does not well reflect on the state of affairs today. Things have changed, vastly.

Good luck. I just got denied and appealing. My doctor said he thinks they have a rubber stamp that says "denied" on the first go around for most people.

I was evaluated and told it was obvious I could not perform the types of jobs I have held, but they feel I can do something. Great. I'll answer phone calls and not remember what I have and hadn't said. I'll miss work because I'm alseep and then on the days I show up, I'll fall alseep. However, they said Narcolepsy doesn't affect my overall health. Yeah. Whatever. I'm going to prove them wrong. I doubt many employers would want to hire me due to my issues, but someone suggested that if I worked for the social security panel for just one week, they rush me onto SSD. ;)

Most of the time it's a long hard road, and they look for specific statements. You must include what they are looking for or they will simply turn you down. I know people with a list of chronic diseases that have gotten turned down, and all I can say is WTF? These people can barely function yet they are expected to work. Uh, not possible for most of them. That is why they filed in the first place.

I'd rather be well and working my butt off than have my life any day of the week and twice on Caturday. lol