CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone. I'd like to see a list of medications that are used to treat akathisia.

Here are the ones I know:

Cogentin

Artane

Benadryl

Amantadine

Are there any others? I'm not saying I've tried them all with failures but I'm curious as to other med options should I ever need to change the medication.

Thanks,

Andy...

I once had a psychiatrist prescribe me diazepam (Valium), but she thought my problem was anxiety as she proceeded to up my Zyprexa dose all the way to 30mg in the process. Whoops.

(That part indirectly ruined my career and possibly pancreas.)

So if nothing else worked for you, I guess you might want to try talking to your doc about the benzos (which are good on anxiety-like conditions), I suppose.

Also (this almost went without saying), look at the possibility of changing your antipsychotic medication. Some are worse w/akathisia than others are. From anecdotes on this board, Abilify seems to be the worst of the atypical antipsychotics in terms of akathisia, and Zyprexa and Seroquel the most innocuous (though in my case, Zyprexa did do the trick -- I haven't taken any sort of antipsychotic for 3 years now, and I have small amounts of 2.5mg Zyprexas on hand these days for serious psychiatric crises (last time used, 3 years ago)).

Archived