CrazyBoards.org

Mystery guests on blog?

So, if guests can't see blogs, why do I have a "guest" viewing my blog?

It's not an anonymous user - I have me, an 'anonymous', and a 'guest' viewing it.

I tried logging out and looking at it (and other blogs) as a guest, and the blog wasn't visible.

My guess is that this is a "moderator- vs. admin-level while logged in anonymously" thing, but I'm not sure, and I thought I'd ask.

Not a huge thing, just sorta curious.

When moderators or admins are logged in as anonymous, they show up as anonymous. My *guess* is that it is google, maybe? So that it can do relevant ads? [not so it can put it in the search engine]

But I mean, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so maybe someone who knows better will come along.

Silver, this is an interesting question. I logged in as "invisible' and went to your blog, and I showed up as "Anonymous Member," not as a guest. I'd like to know who the "guests" are, also.

olga

I thought you couldn't google blogs. and i thought only members could look at them, not guests.

is that not true?

and how can you tell who is veiwing your blog unless they post on it??

i don't know silver, its seems a little creepy to me. why wouldn't someone want you to know they are reading your blog?

i hope you're right and its no big deal.

and how can you tell who is veiwing your blog unless they post on it??

mrsloony, go to your blog, and look in the upper right-hand corner. You will see something called "content blocks." These include blocks like "my picture" and "calendar." One of them is "user(s) viewing" and if you have that one checked, you get a square that tells you if anyone is currently reading your blog.

If the person is logged in, they will be listed there. So it will say 0 guests, 1 member, 0 anonymous members, and then at the bottom it will say "olga" or whatever the name of the person is who is presently reading your blog. It doesn't record anything, so you only know someone is reading if you happen to be "at" your blog at the same time.

I hope that makes sense. I'd still like to know the answer to Silver's question about who the guests are.

olga

there was a similar situation on a private blog... I think it was VE that said if a guest is *trying* to see your blog, even tho it can't be seen, it'll still show that there's a guest. I hope that VE comes along to correct me or further explain.

I thought you couldn't google blogs....

You can't. As I said:

... My *guess* is that it is google, maybe? So that it can do relevant ads? [not so it can put it in the search engine]

I thought you couldn't google blogs....

You can't. As I said:

... My *guess* is that it is google, maybe? So that it can do relevant ads? [not so it can put it in the search engine]

Which is pretty funny, because it's been giving me highly irrelevant-to-my-life ads.

The googlebot explanation fits the best. I'll keep an eye on it. I wasn't trying to fuel any paranoia, I just thought it was weird.

I know it gives you ads for like an earwax remover or something when you are talking about lithium.

I know lithium can be used for anal warts and for seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff... the Wonder Salt does everything!... but earwax remover? Wow.

The ad that came up with my 'guest' was for a Free Ebook involving a sexed up, drugged out chick named Ashley.

I had been writing about... well, nothing related to sex, drugs, or Ashley.

Archived