CrazyBoards.org

Here's the story: I have a friend who has a friend who is MI. My friend was told by this guy that his diagnosis is "pschyzophrenia." I couldn't find anything about that, so I thought that maybe it is spelled "psychizophrenia."

Is anyone here familiar with this term? Is it a form of schizophrenia? My friend has no experience in all this, so I just want to find out how to spell it and a rough idea of what it is, so I can help her research it and learn about it. (I had a cousin who had schizophrenia, so she thought I might know about this.)

I googled it both ways and couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance!

olga

News to me.

Many people do have problems spelling schizophrenia correctly, though.

The term "preschizophrenia" is used sometimes. Maybe that's it?

The spellings you have don't make any sense in terms of the etiology of the word, so my guess is one of the two above explanations...

Yeah, I think the guy is trying to avoid the fact that schizophrenia is his diagnosis, so he's baffling his family and friends with this alternative spelling. From what I'm hearing about the symptoms, it sounds like schizophrenia to me.

Thanks, you two. I spent a fruitless hour trying to find anything about these words and it just wasn't out there.

olga

Maybe he was sneezing? I was trying to pronounce both versions to sound it out for homonyms, and someone said "Bless you."

Really, probably the best thing to do with a woman saying "Psychizophrenia?" to her computer in a semi-public place.

Archived