CrazyBoards.org

Had an appointment with my GP

Hi everyone. I'm a bit frustrated right now. I just came home from my appointment with my GP (family doc) and if you're not familiar with the healthcare in the UK you have to go through your local GP to get referrals to other services, like psyche etc.

Anyhow I explained to him the concerns that I had and that it had been suggested I have ADD and told him what a struggle it is for me every day, and that I even cannot be bothered to establish friendships because it's too much work to try to listen and communicate etc. He told me to just write down my daily tasks for the next two weeks and see if I get organized that way and then come back.

I don't even know how I'm gonna write down my daily tasks for two weeks and get things done out of the blue after not being able to do it all my life. Does this make sense to anyone else? He said even if he had to put in a referral that he needed the task list to send in with it. That made no sense to me.

I guess I'm frustrated cause I feel like I'm in square one. It didn't help that he was laughing at me when I told him I can't follow conversations cause I tune out. Ughh. I felt like it was all a big joke.

You should really make every effort to do what your GP is asking of you. It doesn't have to be detailed or lengthy. It can be simple.

Eat.

Work.

Laundry.

Eat.

Sleep.

If that's all you can do, then good enough.

Another thing you might want to do is write down a specific time when you feel the symptoms are really effecting you. Examples are really helpful.

Can you think of a specific example?

He said even if he had to put in a referral that he needed the task list to send in with it. That made no sense to me.

Most specialty providers in a system like you describe have some referral requirements. For example, the rheumatologist here wants certain labs done and certain things tried before she even schedules the consultation appointment. The reason for that is that there is one of her in a region with about 200,000 people. If that stuff has been done by the time she sees someone, then she can do a lot more in that first visit.

If you do these things now, it will save you a hassle when you are referred - because whoever sees you will probably want you to do just those things.

Poor concentration is a symptom of many, many different disorders and situations - the ways in which you have trouble completing these tasks will be a useful piece of information all by itself.

I hope that helps you make sense of it.

GP has no excuse for laughing at you. At least unless it was somehow one of those commiserating, sympathetic laughs, tho it doesn't sound like it was.

You're going to have to try to write SOMETHING. Maybe you can put the list someplace that you see it all the time. If you live alone the bathroom mirror is one place. Or the wall in your room.

Keep in mind that when it comes to bureacracies, all the holes are round but most of the pegs (people) are square.

Archived