CrazyBoards.org

Adderall and Klonopin (clonazepam)

Hello all,

I've been on adderall for 5 yrs or so with fair results (works better than all the other stuff I've tried). I Just added Klonopin for acute anxiety disorder. The shrink was unclear on mixing the two. Has anybody had any luck? The Klonopin has made me sleepy (but it's only been 2 days). I may take it at bedtime but how is that going to help me during the day when I need it? I can't go to the grocery store without my throat closing, talking on the phone to my girlfriend (soon to be ex if I can't get my shit together) is an act of futility and I can't get any work done w/o adderall but I snap people's heads, so getting fired is a real possibility which makes me stress that much more....man i'm fucked.

Hi Rayray1, welcome.

It may take you a week or so to get used to the klonopin, and not be so sleepy. It is a longer acting drug so it may help you the next day even if you take it at night, though most people would probably take it during the day.

Its good to hear that Adderall has helped you for five years. Still, it can feed into anxiety, make you jumpy and irritable, essentially all the 'anxiety' things you've just listed. It does for me after a few days. i had to drop it. Another alternative is to go off the stims and try the non stimulants like Strattera and Concerta. They aren't nearly as immediate acting or as strong, but they work.

You'll have to see how this works for you. Klonopin has a half life of 30 - 40 hours, so it will take 6 -8 days to reach a state in your bloodstream.

cheers, a.m.

I've been on adderall for 5 yrs or so with fair results (works better than all the other stuff I've tried). I Just added Klonopin for acute anxiety disorder. The shrink was unclear on mixing the two. Has anybody had any luck?

The trickiest part should be getting used to the benzo and the dosages settling out. Since Adderall doesn't do much beneficial for generalized anxiety, you have to do something. I take it that you've tried a couple of SSRIs already and that didn't work out?

Concerta doesn't quite fit the bill as a non-stimulant medication (it's still methylphenidate) but some people do OK on Strattera or Edronax, who otherwise couldn't take a stimulant.

• 1 year later...

I'm taking both, Adderall in the am ... to have the most productive day and Klonopin at night to sleep (as the Adderall will keep you awake). I've taken Klonopin a long time to sleep but had to double my dosage to sleep taking Adderall. Adderall is amazing ... I can now focus and accomplish things I couldn't before. It's a crazy world, a lot is expected from me. I'm just happy I can keep up now ...!

• 8 months later...

I take Klonopin .5mg 3X a day and Concerta 36 mg in a the AM. I also take Remeron at night. Never had an issue with Klonopin but the Concerta seems to wear off an make me irritable and nasty after only 5 hours. I am thinking of asking my Pdoc if I can switch to Vyvanse hoping it will last longer and not have the terrible crash. I used to take .5mg of Xanax 4X a day but waas quickly building a tolerance and my Pdoc did not want me taking anymore than 4X a day so he switched me to Klonopin. In the beginning it seem to work really well. Now I really do not notice the calming effect but also do not have anxiety as bad as I did when taking Xanax.. I guess mainly cause Xanax is a fast acting./short last benzo where Klonopin is a slow acting/long lasting benzo with a hiher half life.

Best of luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jackie CHAN

I'm taking both, Adderall in the am ... to have the most productive day and Klonopin at night to sleep (as the Adderall will keep you awake). I've taken Klonopin a long time to sleep but had to double my dosage to sleep taking Adderall. Adderall is amazing ... I can now focus and accomplish things I couldn't before. It's a crazy world, a lot is expected from me. I'm just happy I can keep up now ...!

Guest Jackie CHAN

I know this is KINDA a late reply, But taking klonopin at night isn't such a good idea. I'm no pharmacist/doctor but Klonopin interferes with some of the stages of sleep and basically blocks one of them (I think REM: Last stage) therefore your body doesnt get the sleep it "deserves." Hence, It would only make sense that this would cause you to eventually take more Adderall to focus during the day which does enhance anxiety (can even create it or worse: Psychosis and such).

Also, Taking Adderall and Klonopin together can be very harmful to some people with any history of any seizure disorders as it lowers the threshold for seizures. I do take them both together but at very low doses (20-25mg and 1mg per day). I'm not sure if its safe for higher dosages. personally I wouldn't go for it without a doctor's or at least a pharmacist's consultation.

Guest Jackie CHAN

I know this is KINDA a late reply, But taking klonopin at night isn't such a good idea. I'm no pharmacist/doctor but Klonopin interferes with some of the stages of sleep and basically blocks one of them (I think REM: Last stage) therefore your body doesnt get the sleep it "deserves." Hence, It would only make sense that this would cause you to eventually take more Adderall to focus during the day which does enhance anxiety (can even create it or worse: Psychosis and such).

Also, Taking Adderall and Klonopin together can be very harmful to some people with any history of any seizure disorders as it lowers the threshold for seizures. I do take them both together but at very low doses (20-25mg and 1mg per day). I'm not sure if its safe for higher dosages. personally I wouldn't go for it without a doctor's or at least a pharmacist's consultation.

Guest Jackie CHAN

One more thing, Klonopin does have a long half life. but it is more of a "as needed" drug. its effect is instant (20-30 mins, not the type to wait for to build up) and if you have serious anxiety 0.5-1mg (depending on body weight) would last you for about 5-6 hours maybe in the beginning.. and it is "habit forming" i.e.: addictive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I have safely been taking low doses of stimulants (started on Concerta- now on Adderall) and low doses of Klonopin (1-2mg) for almost two years and have been more stable than ever. Just listen to your doctor and read the PI sheets for each medicine online. Caution is to be exercised, but there is no absolute contraindication.

At one time I took Adderall, Klonopin and Zoloft. I lost my job as a result. I hardly slept even though I took Klonopin. Taking the Adderall had me talk 100 mph and I wouldn't let people get a word in during a conversation. I'm going to ask my pdoc for Wellbutrin or Straterra to try to tackle my depression and to try to get me motivated.

• 1 month later...
Guest thegovernment0usa

I can't get any work done w/o adderall but I snap people's heads, so getting fired is a real possibility which makes me stress that much more....man i'm fucked.

I think what you need is instead of filling your body with chemicals that represent an entirely new threat to our species, perhaps take a few adderall, spend some alone and unsupervised at home, looking for a job that appeals to your natural talents and fits your dream. Uppers+downers i called speedballing and you can find corpses in the news every day who just love speedballs.

Guest thegovernment0usa

I can't get any work done w/o adderall but I snap people's heads, so getting fired is a real possibility which makes me stress that much more....man i'm fucked.

I think what you need is instead of filling your body with chemicals that represent an entirely new threat to our species, perhaps take a few adderall, spend some alone and unsupervised at home, looking for a job that appeals to your natural talents and fits your dream. Uppers+downers i called speedballing and you can find corpses in the news every day who just love speedballs.

Also, once you find that more fulfilling job, knock it off with the drugs.

• 6 years later...

I take 90mgs of Adderall a day and 1 1/1 mgs Klonopin at night and it works great for me u will get the hang of it yea they do make u sleepy because they are labeled downers up against adderall but it's better to take them at night then turning the day when u first start off taking them once u get use to them u can start taking them during the day but u will really want to just keep them for night time trust me because u will be like I can't sleep I wish I never tried to take thoses during the day keep them for night time get of another med to help both of them with ur mood that's wat I had to do