CrazyBoards.org

I've been having racing thoughts since I was a kid. (When the inner dialogue that everyone has is really loud and really fast).

It comes and goes, sometimes won't happen for ages.

I really can't stand it cause it can hit at any time and to anyone else I look fine and I speak normally, but inside my head my thoughts are so overwhelming that I want to slam my head into a wall or cry, neither of which would help anyway.

I know alot of folks out there have this has a symptom of various disorders (i'm diagnosed with bipolar type 2 but am wondering if it might be a temporal lobe problem after reading things on crazy meds.. but that's another story).

Just wondering if anyone has coping tips for when this happens? What if you're at work or uni and all of a sudden you can't converse easily with people or excuse yourself from the situation & you don't want to disclose?

• 2 weeks later...

I struggle with this myself. In social situations, I just get quiet and hope I don't have to talk, but it comes out a jumble sometimes. Sometimes I write out the thoughts as fast as I can. It feels as though my head could explode. Concentrating on my breathing sometimes helps. Often though, I just go with them.

I do a lot of "stream of consciousness" writing... my brain tells my hand what to write, whether it makes sense or not. It's a bit cathartic for me.

Just an idea...

Just wondering if anyone has coping tips for when this happens? What if you're at work or uni and all of a sudden you can't converse easily with people or excuse yourself from the situation & you don't want to disclose?

I spend a lot of time outside.... to my cow-orkers I blame my hearing (which is fairly crappy).

I claim I can't hear them when the ambient noise inside is high, as it makes it difficult for me to hear what they are saying...

....I just leave out the bit about the noise being inside my head. :-))

If I can, I go lie down somewhere and try ignore my brain. Basically try switch it off, ignore everything it comes up with, and refuse to follow along.

Walking and talking is Good. Brain has to do the walking bit or you fall flat on your face. Leaves it less CPU time for it to make a noise with.

Archived