CrazyBoards.org

I'm an idiot

Everytime I go drinking, it seems to counteract my medication. It typically leaves me depressed and cranky for a good 20 hours. I keep telling myself I'm not going to drink, but I end up drinking for some reason or another.

I didn't have much tonight, but it was enough to make me feel down. I'm sitting here thinking about the purpose of life, and it's incredibly depressing. I wonder how much of it is caused by real issues and how much is biology.

Ugh. I think I'm just going to sleep it off.

We're kinda slow learners when it comes to BP and booze.

Someone pointed out that impulsiveness ( I know I shouldn't but I m gonna go ahead and do it) is part of the syndrome. However most of my recent horror stories about BP were the psych med and booze combo...

Do yourself a favor........dump the booze. Smoke weed if ya have to......have pdoc put you on benzos, but booze is just gasoline on fire.....give it a miss.........

Lot of us have been there, and it sucks. And yes, most of the problem is the booze..........so.....

good luck

OK - so booze makes you depressed. Why do you drink it? For that few minutes (hours whatever) that you feel free? I get that completely, but you need to look at consequences. Few minutes of freedom, but with a severe depression chaser.

I used to drink too much, binger not steadily, and I have only drank once since December because of some seriously bad consequences. I don't know why I've accepted it, but I have. No drinking. Meds make my tolerance zero and I have just become an angry drunk. Not good.

Good luck, and stay away from bars if you don't want to drink. Don't give yourself the temptation of having a drink. Good luck!

I myself realized years ago that when I drink, I am suddenly capable of dancing for about 20 minutes, then depression and the huge amount of sugar in a drink surges through me... I'm hypoglycemic anyway, so basically I crash and burn. And by burn I mean I go sit in the car and smoke a bowl to avoid crying my eyes out and wishing I didn't exist (not a suicidal person AT ALL!).

Last weekend I was in South Beach and in the spirit of things I got a mojito. It was AMAZING! And then I became a belligerent asshole and caused a scene and had to smoke kind of a lot... Normally I can do a little better, and just get all tipsy and silly for a little bit before the bad part kicks in, but I had also had my depakote increased that week so I think that's what happened. And I stopped taking Depakote last week because it was having the zombie effect. Back on lithium, but manic as hell. Very annoying.

As for turning to weed, I'm forever trying to stop going there because it seems to drive me into this little world where I become insecure and need my hand held, but it's such a nice relief from the reality in my head, which is probably not reality at all. How disturbing to think about it that way! I do think it's better for me than benzo's which wind up having the same drunky effect, and cause major irritability and crying spells.

Drinking does nothing but make people fat, sleep with people below your caliber, STDs, drunk driving, waste money, candida, and taking lithium for 100 years makes me put my liver on a pedestal. How do so many not care about such an important organ?

Do yourself a favor........dump the booze. Smoke weed if ya have to......have pdoc put you on benzos, but booze is just gasoline on fire.....give it a miss.........

OK, two things...

1: Trading one mind/mood altering substance for another is Bad. Substitutes just don't work in these situations. Also you don't promote/suggest illegal drug use here. Otherwise someone like me comes along and kicks your ass.

2: Again "have pdoc put you on benzos" strays farther along into prescribing advice, let the pdoc do the rx'ing. Lotsa docs don't want to hand out benzos to someone with addiction issues anyways, and if someone's gonna drink even though they know they shouldn't a pdoc may well turn a hard eye on benzos..

Everytime I go drinking, it seems to counteract my medication. It typically leaves me depressed and cranky for a good 20 hours.

It's pretty much common psychiatric knowledge that alcohol counteracts the effects of antidepressants. For depressives and bipolar, it's *really* not good to be drinking. My doctors told me for years, but I didn't listen. But, then, I was probably alcoholic at the time, using it to self-medicate.

If you need motivation to quit drinking, remember the depressions! It's what happened to me. The effects of being drunk stopped being worth the depression I paid for immediatley after.

I get a depression the next day or day after if I drink. And, depending on how my chemistry is feeling, it only takes one drink sometimes.

How are you gonna feel when she washes down those new benzos with the booze she has on hand? That's right, you won't be there to find or identify or bury the body.

For a lot of people on psych meds, marijuana is as bad or worse than alcohol. A few people find it calming and nothing more, but it seems that way too many people end up paranoid and/or psychotic in addition to whatever else was driving them nuts at the time. Adding in the risk of arrest for possession _and_ getting thrown into the psych ward of the local jail - that's a fairly evil suggestion.

I third the anti-intoxicating substances posts. I've freaked out on one or two things enough to want to dissuade others from trying them.

I know what you mean about the drinking. I've had trouble with "just one" in the past. A lot of it had to do with me being unable to handle the social situation I would find myself in - parties, bar, etc. Once I came to terms with my social awkwardness (for the most part, anyway), I was able to have "just one." Even then, I have to be careful (depending on what my girly hormones are doing during the month, especially). Not everyone can do have just a drink, though. Is that you? If so, you really should stop. Detach from the idea that you are a drinker, if that makes any sense.

Give up the drink. I self-medicated with it (among other things) for decades. No, it's not easy, but I've gave it up a year ago, and have been completely sober (not even a sip) since August. Wow, my meds actually work now. And I have energy. And a little extra money. It's not easy, I'll say that again, but if you don't want to drink, but wind up doing it anyway, then it's time to quit. It really is a good thing.

Some points well made. I think the weed reference was my assumption (which I know are evil in themselves) that the person prolly smoked it already. My bad there. As for benzos, I CAN"T prescribe and I've had docs know I was a two fifths a day drinker put me on em, and I've been on em ever since. And they make showing up on a daily basis possible. Where I live disabiltiy doesn't exist. You wanna eat? You work. You show up. You don't freak out on people when triggered.....you can chill a bit, you can breathe and count to ten.

I won't battle the antibenzo camp, they have their views and their points the same as my view of alcohol........I can only describe my own experience, when someone asks a question.............and I think booze will get you in trouble faster than most things and am glad pdocs allow me those benzos.....Its been a med for me for too long, and was never really a 'get high ' drug. And I find the anti epileptics more of a mood changer than benzos by the way. They work on me in the morning like a wake up pill. I wouldn't quit either one cold turkey though. Just out of pure curiousity, I would like to know how many others find those AE drugs like Lamictal and Tegretol and friends to be a mightly potent mood changer. Stabilizer?? hmmn..........Lamictal seems to keep me from spiraling down but doesn't exactly pump me up....but its a definite 'up' than not being on them at all......

When I'm not all wired on anxiety, I'm not as likely to let pressure build up and cause me to say I can';t take this anymore.....pour me a drink. I see drink as the mother of all evils from personal experience, but would have to reiterate that yea, THC does cause some people to go haywire......If someone hasn't ever used it for gods sake don't try......for someone familiar with it? Thats their decision, and for me I get in far less trouble all round than when / if I drink. And it depends too on where you live........its not always a criminal act in every country. Some countries see it as an overlookable misdeamenor or less, if the person has a small amount.

As per the rules of the boards, I am fully aware that advocating something may lead someone to my door, since it s not the boards fault for what everyone posts.

I do think though that a virtual foot kicking a virtual ass is kinda , well, virtual........I've been kicked in the ass by bigger virtual entities... ;)

So, points taken ...... starting with the 'don't assume' concept. Not that it makes it right to those of you strongly opposed... but I've gotten the same advice and found it helped. Then again I can't remember last time I smoked the damn stuff.....its not a daily habit. A weed habitiuation can wreak havoc for sure...depression often the least of it.

As for what I'm prescribed, I research, and try to be proactive in keeping the BP cycle as smooth as possible. If that means I've 'prescribed' benzos? Someone should look up 'prescribe' and what it means legally and medically. No one here, as far as I know can prescribe. Nor could I complain if someone took Tegretol and recommended I ask my pdoc to put me on it and I start pissing blood .. (Which happens, and thats also personal experience) .......we're all wired slightly different.....

Let me know though if the rules I read are broken in this thread, and which ones. I thought I read them alright before. I am not resistant to correction by any means. I understood 'illegal' as postable but I pay for it if someone looks me up and knocks on my door. And I can't prescribe. Pdocs do that.

wow, i thought that was really well said Dr. F. i think we sometimes confuse off-the-cuff remarks with *very serious remarks*, and of course we all have moments of foot-in-mouth disease.

but you explained yourself nicely, without backtracking/weaseling/flipflopping. i'll have to remember some of your stuff.

Archived