CrazyBoards.org

Depression & Bipolar Signs Index by Color

Hi all. I've been using color to mood chart recently, and decided to standardize it (for myself, anyway) with this handy dandy index.

It's also available on its own HTML page here, and the link is on my blog page:

Depression & Bipolar Color Index Page

This index is for use determining how severe a depression is, or if a person is manic or hypomanic to help eliminate uncertainty and guesswork. Strange as it may seem, many depressives and bipolar individuals often do not realize that what they are experiencing is abnormal, even in the throes of a depression or mania. Mood and feelings change slowly over time, and appear to remain constant to the individual. Changes are often noticed first by others before the individual realizes he/she needs help. If you fall into the red or black territory of the chart, know that you are officially "over the edge," so you can stop guessing and start seeking medical help for your disorder or episode.

Depression-Mania Color Index

Red - Unmanageable High (Mania) little self-control, ranting/raving, uncontrolled spending, rash decision making, unable to recall manic actions after-the-fact (manic blackout), arrests for public disturbances or other behavior, explosive anger, extreme emotions, outpouring of creative energy, feelings of unlimited energy, can go days without sleep, delusions of divination or grandeur, hypersexuality

Purple - Manageable High (Hypo mania) very energetic and positive, flight/rush of thoughts and ideas, talkative, outgoing, elated feeling, grandeur, quick motions or gestures, needs little sleep, easily irritable, pushy, overly insistent or overbearing, increased sexual interest

Green - Functional ( "Normal"**) generally positive thinking, able to get along with people, able to smile and laugh, little or no irritation, concentration and memory are regular, sleep mostly regular, energy is normal, interest is activities is normal, eating is regular

Blue - Down Mood (Depression*) low mood, irritability, difficulty concentrating, little or no smiling, diminished positive attitude, some difficulty interacting with people, oversleeping or undersleeping, overeating (comfort eating) or undereating, some loss of interest in usual activities and libido, crying, feeling tired or sluggish, some self-medication (cigarettes, alcohol, pot, pills, etc)

Brown - Non-Functional (Deep Depression) - thoughts of suicide or self-injury, mostly negative thinking, explosive attitude, anger and irritability, combatative, inability to function, memory problems, loss of feeling or pleasure, near total loss of interest in usual activities, difficulty interacting with people, comfort behavior (rubbing self, pacing, repetitive actions, etc), inability to laugh or smile, weeping, isolation / self-confinement, fatigue, oversleeping or undersleeping, loss of libido, regular self-medication (alcohol, tobacco, pot, pills, drugs)

Black - Critical/Crisis (Severe Depression) - suicidal planning / action, self-Injury, planning or acting to hurt others, emotional breakdowns / meltdowns, inability to move or get out of bed, constant negative ideation and recall, athymia (no feeling or emotion) and total loss of interest for any activities, wailing, writhing, constant crying or inability to cry at all, inability to recall or imagine anything positive, somnolence or insomnia, constant self-medication, extreme isolation

* - Depression has two varieties: vegetative, and aggitated. Aggitation is irritability and anger, where as vegetation is apathy, isolation and disinterest. Aggitation is also present in mania (red) and hypo mania (purple).

** - "Normal" is relative. There is no "average" (normal) mood or disposition for people, like there is an average height or weight. Even if there were an "average mood," it would be an "unrealistic average," not representative of anything real. This is like the average "number of kids per household." ... Nobody has exactly 2.3 kids, but that is the "average" number per family -- albeit an unrealistic one.

Hope it helps!

alex made a 24 hour clock to assist in monitoring oneself. im sure its somewhere in the old topics....im just too lazy to look it up.

Holy Canoly! It's still posted. This post is 2 years old...

[link=http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11993&hl=chronograph" target="_blank]http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...;hl=chronograph[/link]

(or this link: http://www.cosmicdust.org/chronograph)

List-making (in my case charting & graphing) is a little-known bipolar trait. If you find yourself making lists of stuff for no reason, you're probably bipolar. ;):):)

can i just say, i think you are awesome for bringing this up.

i am a very good list maker, ad i have little lists of everything around the place.

i am also in love with colours - i discovered on my own a few years ago that i have synaesthesia. so all these colours are particularly meaningful for me.

i really like this idea. thanks, i think im going to start a journal with colours and clocks now. it might help to show my pdoc too.

Thanks, Berry!

The color scheme green, blue, brown and black is actually a very typically martial art belt color progression. So, it might seem natural and familar to some people. It just worked out that way.

If you're having trouble with your hypomania, you might want to use orange instead of purple. I chose purple because it is a mix of blue and red, and not a "warning" or "danger" color like red, yellow and orange. Hypomania is often a manageable condition, only worrisome if you are prone to manic attacks (in which case, think of hypomania as an orange alert rather than a cool purple state).

i started the chronograph chart with colours yesterday.

this is what i decided for my colours:

red = unmanageable high, out of control feeling

pink = manageable high, more controlled feeling

green = normal

blue = down, unhappy

brown = very depressed

black = 'it cant get any worse'

in addition to this i added:

yellow = happy

orange = agitated

light blue = apathetic, tired.

So, i have done it this way because i find it more important to be more specific when down, hence the three different catergories. and the extra three colours make it easy for me to show whether or not my (hypo) mania is happy or more mixed, angry/agitated. and also whether my depression is more agitated or tired and lethargic.

i am hoping to show my pdoc after i have done this for a while.

thanks again for posting this ;) i am very pleased with this chart, it makes much more sense to me than numbers or words. mainly because with them i am too frustrated or can't be bothered writing down how i feel.

I totally love this idea! :) It willl be really great for my journal that I have been...hmm hmm...intending on doing for years.. ;) ...lol. I wish I could have kept up with my journals from my past. I would really help with the present. Thanks again.

List-making (in my case charting & graphing) is a little-known bipolar trait. If you find yourself making lists of stuff for no reason, you're probably bipolar. :):)^_^

I got to tell you, I make the best charts, graphs, checklists, data systems, step-by-step training plans, etc. at work. My coworkers love me, well at least my forms & material. My stuff is often in demand.

I know this is not quite on topic, but I'm a little hypo and this particular comment really resonated with me.

Oreo ;)

Thanks for everyone's comments! I'm happy people are finding this useful.

I added an orange level between purple and red, so that red is manic, orange is hypomania (formerly purple level), and purple is "elated" (ie: good mood). The index now has three "up" levels and three "down" levels (rather than 2 up and3 down).

Here's the updated version: Color Index page on my site.

I haven't had hypomania (never really had full blown mania) for ages, so it's hard for me to categorize the high-side of bipolar. Also, when I get hypomania, I can often function fine, so I didn't envision it as orange (which implies warning/danger), but as (cool) purple. Orange makes more sense now that I think about it.

Lately, I've been VERY familiar with the low side, which is how depression got easily broken out into three different levels of hell.

Also, you can list mixed modes by just using two colors in diagonal stripes or a checkerboard pattern instead of a solid tone.

Guest happy happy rage cry

List-making (in my case charting & graphing) is a little-known bipolar trait. If you find yourself making lists of stuff for no reason, you're probably bipolar.

This post has been edited by alex: Jun 20 2008, 01:54 PM

It is???????????????? pisitively??? not ocd instead??? i am struggling with a diagnosis of one or the other. Wondered which itfits more.tx.

Hi all. I've been using color to mood chart recently, and decided to standardize it (for myself, anyway) with this handy dandy index.

This index is for use determining how severe a depression is, or if a person is manic or hypomanic to help eliminate uncertainty and guesswork. Strange as it may seem, many depressives and bipolar individuals often do not realize that what they are experiencing is abnormal, even in the throes of a depression or mania. Mood and feelings change slowly over time, and appear to remain constant to the individual. Changes are often noticed first by others before the individual realizes he/she needs help. If you fall into the red or black territory of the chart, know that you are officially "over the edge," so you can stop guessing and start seeking medical help for your disorder or episode.

Red - Unmanageable High (Mania) little self-control, ranting/raving, uncontro

lled spending, rash decision making, unable to recall manic actions after-the-fact (manic blackout), arrests for public disturbances or other behavior, explosive anger, extreme emotions, outpouring of creative energy, feelings of unlimited energy, can go days without sleep, delusions of divination or grandeur, hypersexuality

Purple - Manageable High (Hypo mania) very energetic and positive, flight/rush of thoughts and ideas, talkative, outgoing, elated feeling, grandeur, quick motions or gestures, needs little sleep, easily irritable, pushy, overly insistent or overbearing, increased sexual interest

Green - Functional ( "Normal"**) generally positive thinking, able to get along with people, able to smile and laugh, little or no irritation, concentration and memory are regular, sleep mostly regular, energy is normal, interest is activities is normal, eating is regular

Blue - Down Mood (Depression*) low mood, irritability, difficulty concentrating, little ora no smiling, diminished positive attitude, some difficulty interacting with people, oversleeping or undersleeping, overeating (comfort eating) or undereating, some loss of interest in usual activities and libido, crying, feeling tired or sluggish, some self-medication (cigarettes, alcohol, pot, pills, etc)

Brown - Non-Functional (Deep Depression) - thoughts of suicide or self-injury, mostly negative thinking, explosive attitude, anger and irritability, combatative, inability to function, memory problems, loss of feeling or pleasure, near total loss of interest in usual activities, difficulty interacting with people, comfort behavior (rubbing self, pacing, repetitive actions, etc), inability to laugh or smile, weeping, isolation / self-confinement, fatigue, oversleeping or undersleeping, loss of libido, regular self-medication (alcohol, tobacco, pot, pills, drugs)

Black - Critical/Crisis (Severe Depression) - suicidal planning / action, self-Injury, planning or acting to hurt others, emotional breakdowns / meltdowns, inability to move or get out of bed, constant negative ideation and recall, athymia (no feeling or emotion) and total loss of interest for any activities, wailing, writhing, constant crying or inability to cry at all, inability to recall or imagine anything positive, somnolence or insomnia, constant self-medication, extreme isolation

* - Depression has two varieties: vegetative, and aggitated. Aggitation is irritability and anger, where as vegetation is apathy, isolation and disinterest. Aggitation is also present in mania (red) and hypo mania (purple).

** - "Normal" is relative. There is no "average" (normal) mood or disposition for people, like there is an average height or weight. Even if there were an "average mood," it would be an "unrealistic average," not representative of anything real. This is like the average "number of kids per household." ... Nobody has exactly 2.3 kids, but that is the "average" number per family -- albeit an unrealistic one.

Hope it helps!

Red - Unmanageable High (Mania) little self-control, ranting/raving, uncontrolled spending, rash decision making, unable to recall manic actions after-the-fact (manic blackout), arrests for public disturbances or other behavior, explosive anger, extreme emotions, outpouring of creative energy, feelings of unlimited energy, can go days without sleep, delusions of divination or grandeur, hypersexuality

Blue - Down Mood (Depression*) low mood, irritability, difficulty concentrating, little or no smiling, diminished positive attitude, some difficulty interacting with people, oversleeping or undersleeping, overeating (comfort eating) or undereating, some loss of interest in usual activities and libido, crying, feeling tired or sluggish, some self-medication (cigarettes, alcohol, pot, pills, etc)

Hope it helps!

interesting.

is it possible to feel wholy black simultaniously feeling wholy red?

cuz that's how i feel lately.

it'd be nice if they cancelled eachother out and made green

un-fucking believeable.

ok so my SO and i have communication issues. whereas he hates to get into anything deeper then superficial smalltalk on IM. and I am not good at vocalizing things

so i thought this chart explained easily and better then i could things that i try to explain but never feel i do a good job at

so i sent him a link of the chart

he's pissed at me

because i im'd him the link - i said "something interesting i found, maybe if you have a minute you can look at it"

and there goes my day.

another day of trying to be positive

day #15 of being in my room

and looks like i wont be leaving today either.

after posting on here for my first day yesterday, i did feel a little better. and now.

back to (per your chart) a brownish black with orangy red undertones

damnit!

List-making (in my case charting & graphing) is a little-known bipolar trait. If you find yourself making lists of stuff for no reason, you're probably bipolar.

This post has been edited by alex: Jun 20 2008, 01:54 PM

It is???????????????? pisitively??? not ocd instead??? i am struggling with a diagnosis of one or the other. Wondered which itfits more.tx.

i never thought of my listmaking in relation to any of my mental issues.

i make at LEAST 3 lists a day, and in my head i am CONSTANTLY making lists and starting over from the begining and shit.

weird, i never put 2 and 2 together,

Hope it helps!

interesting.

is it possible to feel wholy black simultaniously feeling wholy red?

cuz that's how i feel lately.

it'd be nice if they cancelled eachother out and made green

yeh i think you'd call that dysphoric mania, or mixed state.

Archived