CrazyBoards.org

Got me a bottle of CLonazepam

Hi there - I recently got a hold of 120 pills of .5 mg Clonazepam. The only way they seem to work is if I take about 2-5 mg. Is this dangerous? What is the addiction factor?

I mainly just pop them to relax. Im anxious all the time otherwise.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Shalom,

AlarmClock

Man, that's a lot of clonazepam! This drug is really potent. Taking 5mgs is a lot. I think as a comparison, it would be like taking 50mg of valium.

I take it as a prn and I will rarely take more that 1mg in a day, as the withdrawal symtoms can be really harsh - mainly depression in my case. You only need to take it for a couple of weeks to develop a physical dependence, and after this time it can make you feel really fatigued and tired. And because of the long half-life it tends to build up in your body over a long period if you take it everyday.

Are you taking this much everyday? If so, I would seriously consider dropping the dose, and actually only using it when you really need it, because if you're taking it everyday like this you are seriously setting yourself up for a BIG addiction. If you've only just started taking it then you shouldn't have much of a problem dropping the dose if you do it now.

Then you need to discuss with your pdoc other strategies to deal with your anxiety, and this could include other meds that are more long-term solutions.

I assuming, from the sounds of it, that this is not a script? Taking 2-5 is way too much. 2, maybe, but 5 is a receational range.

All points aside, I take it on an irregular basis, some mornings I do, some I don't, and so ad naseum. Because of that, I don't feel addicted.

If you're taking these without your pdoc's knowledge, you need to tell him/her NOW.

My pdoc had me on 5 mg./day for about a year. I took them at set times rather than prn. Morning, noon, dinner; 1 mg. each time, then 2 mg. at bedtime. She said that she wanted to stop the anxiety "fires" from starting rather than waiting and then trying to put them out. Now I am just on 2 mg./day, split in four .5 me. doses at the same times as before. It has been at least 8 months since I went to the lower dose. No bad reactions or difficulties when I reduced the dose (at my pdocs direction).

Tommy

Archived