CrazyBoards.org

Physical Response to BiPolar

I know that everyone is familiar to the "regular" physical responses to lows. I was just wondering if any of you rapid cyclers also experience things like skin crawling, nausea? I keep having moments of wanting to crawl out of my skin. I've been suffering through a very bad low lately.

I was in therapy for 8 years with the same therapist when I showed up for my appointment and he never did. A week later I found out he'd been "let go" and no one thought to inform me. Talk about going into shock! Because I am so sensitive to drugs therapy is all I had. My PDoc put me on Lexapro but I'm having a hell of time taking it. I literally have to crush it and take it on a granular level throughout the day. I already have vertigo so the dizziness is a bitch!

Hi Sage

I find that when i am depressed, my muscles ache, i have more headaches than usual, i often feel sick and find myself wanting to sleep all day.

When i am hypomanic/manic, usually i feel really agitated and i get skin crawling, itching and tingling/burning feelings.

I think its fairly normal to have physical changes related to mood, i think lots of people here would experience the same thing. I know a lady who has fibromyalgia and she seems to have worse pain during her depression.

That is really really awful what happened with your therapist. Its hard enough to find a good one, so its really frustrating that he left. I'm really sorry that happened to you. Have you looked for another one? I know it is really hard to get used to a new person but, since therapy is obviously really helpful for you, could you try again?

If you are having trouble with Lexapro could you ask your pdoc for another option? I see in your sig. that you've tried lots but your pdoc might have some new ideas. Or, you could try a second opinion with another pdoc to see if they have any other suggestions.

i hope you are doing ok today. Do you live in a warm place? if not, maybe finding a patch of sun or holding a wheat/heat pack could be helpful. I often find that being warmer helps with the physical side effects.

thinking of you

berry

Hi Sage

I find that when i am depressed, my muscles ache, i have more headaches than usual, i often feel sick and find myself wanting to sleep all day.

When i am hypomanic/manic, usually i feel really agitated and i get skin crawling, itching and tingling/burning feelings.

I think its fairly normal to have physical changes related to mood, i think lots of people here would experience the same thing. I know a lady who has fibromyalgia and she seems to have worse pain during her depression.

That is really really awful what happened with your therapist. Its hard enough to find a good one, so its really frustrating that he left. I'm really sorry that happened to you. Have you looked for another one? I know it is really hard to get used to a new person but, since therapy is obviously really helpful for you, could you try again?

If you are having trouble with Lexapro could you ask your pdoc for another option? I see in your sig. that you've tried lots but your pdoc might have some new ideas. Or, you could try a second opinion with another pdoc to see if they have any other suggestions.

i hope you are doing ok today. Do you live in a warm place? if not, maybe finding a patch of sun or holding a wheat/heat pack could be helpful. I often find that being warmer helps with the physical side effects.

thinking of you

berry

Thanks so much for replying!

I actually bought a tanning package.. I live where there isn't much sunlight and it's been a horrible winter. Actually, it seems like winter is filling in for summer this year. Do tanning beds help with SAD?

I really hate the busting out feeling i get. It comes and goes and I always just felt it was related to my swings. Of course, I can handle that part much better than the really low feelings. This is probably the longest one I've had in years. I'm thinking the loss of my therapist is a huge contributor.

The clinic I go to just told me they were trying to fill the position and would get back to me. I don't have much faith in them since they didn't bother to let me know my therapist was gone in the first place! As far as that goes, they might as well have pulled the trigger! The Pdoc just grilled me on what meds I thought would work... All I did was cry because how in the hell am I supposed to know when nothing works? Even drugs that I have been able to take in the past have been really bad lately. I also think that because of my gastric bypass surgery no one knows what they are doing when it comes to the meds. I think the surgery may have helped with my weight(caused by all the yo yo meds) but will be the end of me meds wise! Pretty ironic eh?

I will try to find a new therapist but I live on an island... My old therapist traveled here for our sessions. I didn't have to worry about running into him at the grocery or even worse in common social circles. I'm really nervous about finding a local for that reason. So that means having to travel ...another irony... I really have a hard time leaving the island.

Wow...Everything feels like I'm chasing my tail!

Oh well, I guess all I can do for now is hope I make it through another day. Thanks again for replying!

Hi again :)

I'd suggest that tanning packages lead to skin cancer, however... you can get those lamp/lightbox things that they use for SAD. maybe you could ask your pdoc. If your pdoc is open to suggestions about meds, maybe you could try listing what you have been on and people here could offer some suggestions. (if that helps any).

I agree that your clinic might not be so great if they didnt tell you about last time. It must be difficult being isolated on an island in that way. Do you have places you can go if you are in crisis? I'm not sure where you live but maybe you could call a helpline (if they are helpful, some dont seem to be). there would have to be another therapist who comes to the island (you would think). if not, maybe you could find a therapist on your island who isn't well known. personally i've given up on caring if people know where im going ;)

do you have a heat lamp in your bathroom (the lights in the ceiling)? I love them (but don't have one), they are really good for warming you up in the morning or at night.

with your gastric bypass and the stomach issues - do you mean that you find the meds give you stomach trouble - nausea? or something else? Have you tried the extended release forms of different drugs?

Maybe, if you're up to it, you could go for a walk. I find it hard to get motivated but, warms you up and helps with the 'busting out' feeling. also seems to make me feel better (bit happier).

sorry my post is a bit all over the place. hope you are doing ok.

keep posting if you find it helpful :) people are here to listen!

berry

I've never had the skin-crawling part but I've had the nausea. Of course I also have some nausea from my meds, so maybe I'm just a nauseating person, eh?

Anyway...

Learning that your long-time therapist was suddenly gone (and no one bothered to tell you) must have been one helluva shock indeed. I hope you find/found a new therapist quickly.

I had a similar experience though not quite as drastic. Due to abrupt insurance coverage changes, my long-time therapist informed me that she had to discontinue treating me. (Long story, but that's the gist.) I felt totally abandoned!

She did help me find a new therapist -- who I never followed up with cuz I'm smart like that -- but the awful feeling of abandonment lasted quite a while. Now I fear the same situation could happen again, so I have real trust issues. I just make small talk with my crazy-doc, grab my prescriptions and run. No way I'm gonna "get close" to him and then find him gone when I need him most.

BTW, am I the only one who sees "The Rapist" in "therapist"?

Hope I've cheered you up enough for one day. No thanks necessary.

(Good luck!)

I truly think that the new routing of my "system" has had a definite impact on my med response. Not that it was great before, but now it's different AND bad. lol

I am going to get a list of meds together. Hoping it won't be too depressing! ;) I wonder how I go about getting a copy of my PDocs medical record on me? It's only about 4 inches thick!

I feel completely lost when it comes to finding a new therapist. I think I even went thru the stages of grieving..denial, anger...think I'm stuck at anger. Doubt if I will ever get to acceptance!

BTW, am I the only one who sees "The Rapist" in "therapist"?

I've NEVER noticed that! WOW!

was just wondering if any of you rapid cyclers also experience things like skin crawling, nausea?

VERY much so to both of them. The skin crawling sucks royally - I went to my pdoc appt yesterday wanting to scratch my skin off because the feeling was so strong. She's bombing me with valium for a week to help get control of it. It's related to mania for me.

I'm sorry about losing your therapist like that - that's hugely stressful, and very shoddy of them not to inform his patients.

I know that everyone is familiar to the "regular" physical responses to lows. I was just wondering if any of you rapid cyclers also experience things like skin crawling, nausea?

Skin crawling / tingling / electric. Eyes too wide. Muscles clenched. Can't eat, stomach disinterested in everything... I'd drink to escape the screaming feeling of tensions and emptiness and electricity, but I'd hurl if I touched a drop.

At other times, exhaustion, sleepy, weak, breathe hard with little exercise.

Other times, ravenous, especially for salty bacon, salami, german dried sausages....eat too much. Can enjoy some drink, but stomach won't tolerate much.

Raynaud's phenomena when cold, extremities pale, frozen, going blue. When they warm up dramatically red and extreme pins and needles.

Extreme Depression, the day before, Diarrhea immediately prior to migraines, extreme nausea, photo and phono phobia during, exercise too painful, and mild hypermania after. "Sloshy Head", definitely feeling of brain "sloshing" in the skull if I move tilt it from side to side or backwards / forwards.

Other times robust, move frenetically, enjoy intense exercise.

All this goes by in less than a week, sometimes less than a day, without end.

I'm pretty sure mine is related to my mania also. I've often wished that I had kept a journal of all my meds, responses to meds, manias, triggers etc...but even if I buy the notebook and get the perfect pen I'm off in fifty different directions and never document much. Thanks for letting me know that you've experienced it also. I think just knowing other people have the same experiences validates that it's not ALL in my head. ;)

Archived