CrazyBoards.org

Anyone taking Lamictal with Abilify

Lamictal was a lifesaver for me for 5 years before I started having massive panic attacks. For most of the time I was taking around 400 mgs ... but at the end I think I was at 450 and titrated down from there.

Anyway I've been on Lithium for the past year to no avail--I've been progressively worse-- depressed, exhausted and unmotivated and miserable.. Geodon was very bad on my system. I've been floundering between doctors (my doctor of those yeras who was excellent went on sabbatacal). Finally, the hospital replaced him and I had my second appointment today with his replacement.

He suggested (and I was wondering if anyone else has had this replacement) that I try to go back on the Lamictal (slowly triating up) while staying on topamax (currently 150 mgs but will probably go up at the next visit) to curb the mania/anxiety and wiht abilify to also help curb anxiety/mania/depression. I also take ativan to sleep and for any acute panic attacks during the day (2mg to sleep but only a 1/4 tablet if during the day or a 1/4 - 1/2 xanax).

I was more then happy to give it a shot as lamictal was the only thing that ever helped me for any length of time.

:-)

Susan

I'm on Lamictal and Abilify (among others) and I don't think it has done much for my anxiety. I take Klonopin for the anxiety and it helps a lot. My pdoc actually says that I have been stable for about three months or so and she is very pleased.

Tommy

Thanks everyone!

I don't think my doctor is as interested one of them helping with general anxiety issues (I don't have any) but with the side affect of anxiety that lamictal started causing me towards the end of the 5 years I had been on it. We're hoping that if we can control that side effect, I can go back on it since it was such a life saver and I've been floundering hopelessly since having bene off it.

Thanks again!

Susan

Mmm, yeah, what Her Tommy said. Lamictal and Abilify, although I still take seroquel at night to sleep. Otherwise I'd be psychotic with lack of sleep. I take klono for anxiety. I started abilify because of its weight-neutral properties, I just couldn't lose the pounds on seroquel. It's doing a wonderful job of cutting my appetite waaaay back, and it's activating for me.

Wow.. great to hear that it'll hear with appetite issues cause I have those from the lithium (eve though I"m not taking it anymore LOL-- I did gain weight so between the topomax and the abilify, maybe it'll help!).

I can't believe however everyone says its activating for them.. I WISH that was the case for me. I'm exhausted ALL the time and this just made it worse. ;) Maybe at a higher dose that will kick in?! How much are ou guys taking? We are triating slowly... so I just started at 5 until Tuesday-- then ten and so forth...

Thanks!

I can't believe however everyone says its activating for them.. I WISH that was the case for me. I'm exhausted ALL the time and this just made it worse. :wtf: Maybe at a higher dose that will kick in?! How much are ou guys taking? We are triating slowly... so I just started at 5 until Tuesday-- then ten and so forth...

It's activating for some people and sedating for others. Really depends on the person. Some people get pretty tired when they take it and have to take it at night so they're not falling asleep during the day. Other people, like me, have the opposite problem. On 5mg/day, I couldn't sleep. Period. It could change for you based on the dosage or what time of day you take it or just having a few weeks to adjust to the new med, though.

And generally "weight-neutral" means that something has no effect on appetite or weight, not that it reduces appetite or anything. Lamictal is usually considered to be weight-neutral for just that reason; for most people, it has no impact on appetite or weight in either direction.

I can't believe however everyone says its activating for them.. I WISH that was the case for me. I'm exhausted ALL the time and this just made it worse. ;) Maybe at a higher dose that will kick in?! How much are ou guys taking? We are triating slowly... so I just started at 5 until Tuesday-- then ten and so forth...

It's activating for some people and sedating for others. Really depends on the person. Some people get pretty tired when they take it and have to take it at night so they're not falling asleep during the day. Other people, like me, have the opposite problem. On 5mg/day, I couldn't sleep. Period. It could change for you based on the dosage or what time of day you take it or just having a few weeks to adjust to the new med, though.

And generally "weight-neutral" means that something has no effect on appetite or weight, not that it reduces appetite or anything. Lamictal is usually considered to be weight-neutral for just that reason; for most people, it has no impact on appetite or weight in either direction.

LOL I'll take weight neutral over weight gaining any day with these meds ;-)

I've found that most activating meds with people put me sound asleep :)... I wish just ONE would give me a boost-- I'm so sick of being sleepy all the time. Althought being on lamictal was the only time I could hold down an exercise program-- so we'lll see?!

Archived