CrazyBoards.org

Hello.

I am here mostly because I am trying to figure out what, if anything, I should be doing to help my undiagnosed, but most decidedly mentally ill daughter.

If I don't belong, I suppose y'all will let me know and I'll go on my way.

Thanks

I think it is great that you are reaching out for information from everyone here. I think it is good that you pull from a whole bunch of support systems.

What sorts of behaviors is she exhibiting?

How is her sleeping schedule?

What kinds of foods does she crave?

Is a visit with a psychiatrist the last resort?

Welcome!

Just my 2 cents...

I suppose the most obvious answer and first step toward helping your daughter is to get her diagnosed by a professional. You can't fix something until you know what's broken. And yes, please *do* help her!

If you can't directly arrange an appointment with a psychiatrist or a psychologist due to medical coverage, or simply because you choose not to for whatever reason, then arrange an appointment with a general practitioner or your familly doctor. If you can't afford such an appoinment, find a free clinic or a community social service organization in your area. You can begin your search by checking the Yellow Pages under "Social Services", "Mental Health Centers" or even something as simple as "Medical Care Facilities/Providers"; I'm sure you'll find something that will be of assistance directly or indirectly.

If your daughter's illness is as certain as you believe it is, it shouldn't take long for a medical professional to make an initial diagnosis or at least provide you with a recommendation/referral to someone who can.

Of course getting the *correct* diagnosis of her mental illness may take a while, or may require getting an opinion from more than one physician. But once her disorder is identified, treatment can begin and hopefully that will make both of your lives much better and much easier.

Good luck!

-- Sara

Archived